Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 7+ GPUs  (Read 801 times)
bughatti (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 07:01:31 PM

Team, not sure if this was the right place to post this question, if not let em know and I can move it. 

My question here has to do with the ability to get 8+ GPUs out of the MSI z97 gaming 5 motherboard on linux, ether ethOS or Ubuntu.

First and foremost to all the naysayers who think it is a bad idea, great, that's your opinion, it has been posted all over, would prefer to keep it out of here.

Has anybody had success with getting 8+ GPUs out of an MSI z97 gaming 5 board with a PCI splitter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERXUEOM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I have done some research on google, just an hour or so and yes, I have found other boards that people suggest or say they have 8+ GPUs running on but nothing about this specific board.  I know it can be done on this board, just do not know how.  Not a whole lot out there outside of the mining community asking about this from looking around on the web, correct me if someone knows some sites.

Seems I dont need to do a whole lot of config in linux, but possibly in the bios on the board itself.  Also not sure if I need to up the memory on the board.  Not sure what more info is needed for this question so please ask and I can provide.

Thanks 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tntdgcr

Activity: 219

Bitcoin Mining Hosting

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2017, 07:21:04 PM

Team, not sure if this was the right place to post this question, if not let em know and I can move it. 

My question here has to do with the ability to get 8+ GPUs out of the MSI z97 gaming 5 motherboard on linux, ether ethOS or Ubuntu.

First and foremost to all the naysayers who think it is a bad idea, great, that's your opinion, it has been posted all over, would prefer to keep it out of here.

Has anybody had success with getting 8+ GPUs out of an MSI z97 gaming 5 board with a PCI splitter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERXUEOM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I have done some research on google, just an hour or so and yes, I have found other boards that people suggest or say they have 8+ GPUs running on but nothing about this specific board.  I know it can be done on this board, just do not know how.  Not a whole lot out there outside of the mining community asking about this from looking around on the web, correct me if someone knows some sites.

Seems I dont need to do a whole lot of config in linux, but possibly in the bios on the board itself.  Also not sure if I need to up the memory on the board.  Not sure what more info is needed for this question so please ask and I can provide.

Thanks 

skip splitter, use m2 pcie expansion

OregonMines is expanding. Are you expanding with us?
bughatti (OP)

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 07:48:53 PM

Thanks 

skip splitter, use m2 pcie expansion

That gets me to 8 right but not more due to limitation of m2 slots.  So is it not possible to put 10 or more with splitters, or just not beneficial so no one has put work into it?
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 08:02:28 PM

You would be better off asking this in the alt-coins section of the forum as they still use GPUs to mine different coins. Bitcoins haven't been mined on GPUs for years.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
TeamGreen

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 04:25:15 AM

Hey bughatti,

I have been experimenting with the splitters and the M97 gaming 5 board.  I am using nvidia cards as well.  The best I have done so far is getting all 7 recognized in Windows 10, 2 of which had error code 43.  The system saw the 2 cards sitting on the board, but had an issue recognizing the splitter as it doesn't ship with a driver.  I believe the system recognized the splitter as an Intel host adapter, but also saw the device as unconnected (error code 43).  Most of the posts in the forums about 7+ setups are using AMD cards, which is where our issue lies.  Apparently nvidia cards use twice as much bandwidth compared to similar AMD cards (or something to that effect).  I haven't tried the M2 adapter yet but here is a link for you.  This one is confirmed to work with 1x GPU but it's expensive.

http://bplus.com.tw/ExtenderBoard/P4SM2.html

This was all done on a setup that had 6 cards mining without any splitters.  Please keep me updated on your progress and I will do the same.
kodokbuduk

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 12:27:39 PM

I also cannot get 8th GPU on MSI Z97 gaming 5 using linux Ethos. 7 GPu works fine. I used pcie spliter and
Ethos can detect 8 GPU when booting but when comes on desktop, error bunch of words coming out..how to make it work? anyone help?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: