Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:13:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual PSU GPU Mining issues - Anyone doing this successfully?  (Read 8481 times)
a1unicorn (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 09:45:53 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2017, 12:17:09 AM by a1unicorn

Is anyone successfully using two PSUs in a mining rig? I can't get my secondary psu to turn on no matter what I do. I have my secondary PSU powering only the video cards' PCI slots.

I tried shorting ATX pins 16 and 15 on the secondary PSU
Tried connecting 16 and 15 from my primary psu to secondary psu atx
I even bought an add2psu and tried that.

I even tried different combinations of 80 Plus platinum PSUs:
I tried a Corsair HX850i with an HX750i.
tried the Corsair HX850i with an EVGA Supernova 750W
Swapped both PSUs, and tried a Corsair AX860 with AX760W

Every time I do any combination of things, the secondary PSU just turns on and off after about 1 second.

I'm trying to revive my 4x R9 280x mining rig. After moving apartments I set it up again using my old Seasonic 80 Plus Gold 1250w PSU with my 4 R9 280x's, and for an unknown reason it fried and smoked up my room with dirty plastic-y smoke. I figured I got lucky running 4 cards on that PSU, and that my rig likely needs more power, which caused it to catastrophically fail.

Rig Setup Photos:
http://i66.tinypic.com/kaiuit.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/4uc9ia.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/2itg8zc.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/245lj6t.jpg

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a dual PSU working? Anyone running a 4x R9 280x (or similar) rig on dual PSUs? Or if you have a single PSU, which model and wattage works for your setup?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1050

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 09:48:23 PM

As far as I know you'd need something like this:

To turn both PSUs on at the same time.

Not your keys, not your coins!
a1unicorn (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 09:55:20 PM

As far as I know you'd need something like this:

http://www.thermaltake.com/db/products/PSU_Cable/Dual_PSU_24Pin_Adapter/main.jpg

To turn both PSUs on at the same time.

I jury-rigged that exact wiring and I still had the same problem.

I even bought an add2psu and the exact same thing happened:

http://www.callingallgeeks.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/dual-psu-adapter-add2psu.jpg

Tried it with 6 different PSUs in 3 different combinations.
iom

Activity: 31

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 09:58:05 PM

I have 2 psu rig, and working fine. Try to powering 3 risers and 3 cards with first PSU, and 3:3 with second. Don't cross riser and cards with both PSU's.
Sorry for my bad english, i hope you can understand me.
a1unicorn (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 10:06:46 PM

I have 2 psu rig, and working fine. Try to powering 3 risers and 3 cards with first PSU, and 3:3 with second. Don't cross riser and cards with both PSU's.

I made sure not to cross riser and cards. My secondary PSU is only powering the graphics cards, not the risers. I have two cards connected to the motherboard with no powered risers, and two cards connected to powered risers powered by the primary PSU. I'm not connecting my secondary PSU to the two powered risers because of this warning from BitsBeTrippin' on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZiWciJLK3o):

NOTE: Ensure one PSU is used for the Motherboard and ALL connections (molexs/sata power connections/ & any other non-GPU connections) The Second PSU should be ONLY used for powering the extra graphics cards ONLY, just the 12v rail connections.

DO NOT USE THE SECOND PSU to power any of the risers...this will create a weird loop back through the MB and potentially nuke it.

Which PSUs (brand + model) are you using for your setup? Thanks.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1050

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 10:12:17 PM

It might not be your solution but at the very least you should be only using powered USB risers exclusively.

Not your keys, not your coins!
baga105

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 10:16:59 PM

Try to add some old HDD to the 2nd PSU, so it will draw power no matter what happens with the GPU. It worked for me. Smiley

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
iom

Activity: 31

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 10:18:23 PM

I made sure not to cross riser and cards. My secondary PSU is only powering the graphics cards, not the risers. I have two cards connected to the motherboard with no powered risers, and two cards connected to powered risers powered by the primary PSU. I'm not connecting my secondary PSU to the two powered risers because of this warning from BitsBeTrippin' on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZiWciJLK3o):

NOTE: Ensure one PSU is used for the Motherboard and ALL connections (molexs/sata power connections/ & any other non-GPU connections) The Second PSU should be ONLY used for powering the extra graphics cards ONLY, just the 12v rail connections.

DO NOT USE THE SECOND PSU to power any of the risers...this will create a weird loop back through the MB and potentially nuke it.

Which PSUs (brand + model) are you using for your setup? Thanks.

I don't know about that video, but i use first psu to powered 3 usb risers and 3 cards, and secont PSU to powered more 3 usb risers and 3 cards, and rig working fine more than a 3 months.
a1unicorn (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 10:40:05 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2017, 11:12:22 PM by a1unicorn

It might not be your solution but at the very least you should be only using powered USB risers exclusively.
I am using two USB powered risers for two of my cards. The other two are powered by the mobo, which I figure is fine as it's a gaming motherboard (Gigabyte G1 Sniper A88X).

Here is a picture of my rig (w/ two unplugged cards, was testing other two):
http://i67.tinypic.com/245lj6t.jpg

Try to add some old HDD to the 2nd PSU, so it will draw power no matter what happens with the GPU. It worked for me. Smiley

I just tried this with a Blu-Ray drive and a HDD, but nothing changes. Thanks anyway.

Update:

More Pictures of My setup (fully connected and with HDD and blu-ray)
http://i66.tinypic.com/kaiuit.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/4uc9ia.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/2itg8zc.jpg
joaocha

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 01:04:12 AM

Power Gpu + Riser with same Psu, if you do diferent them this i ill have problems,

All of my 7 rigs are using 3 Psu each, 1 for mobo + hd , and 2 750w for the Gpus
a1unicorn (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 01:42:23 AM
Last edit: January 13, 2017, 03:00:29 AM by a1unicorn

I don't know about that video, but i use first psu to powered 3 usb risers and 3 cards, and secont PSU to powered more 3 usb risers and 3 cards, and rig working fine more than a 3 months.

Power Gpu + Riser with same Psu, if you do diferent them this i ill have problems,

All of my 7 rigs are using 3 Psu each, 1 for mobo + hd , and 2 750w for the Gpus

I'm starting to think this is the solution: to plug in the secondary PSU to the powered risers, instead of plugging the primary PSU into the risers. But, I'm still worried about frying my motherboard .

I'm using USB risers: https://www.hashratestore.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/20140130_121606-500x354.jpg Are these the ones you use in your systems?

Can anyone confirm that the USB cables are only used for data, not power in these risers? If so, this solution can't possibly fry the motherboard, right?

UPDATE:

Found this post on the ethereum forum:
The USB risers are power-isolating in the sense they do not have power lines from the motherboard - power is only from the child-side riser power. The idea that you should use the same PSU for mobo and risers is TOTALLY backwards for USB-type risers - it's old info from non-cut/non-powered era. You're better off using the same PSU for a given riser/GPU, since what is the riser really doing here? Powering the GPU... why would you choose to power the GPU with multiple PSU for no reason?

How do you ground 2 PSUs together? Use a dual PSU cable (e.g. power-on lead and ground y-connector), or run any ground lines between the 24pin

Also, I found this post:

I have a few USB powered risers. I tested it. The +12V is not taken from the motherboard, it is only from the SATA +12 connector. So you can connect it to either main or the secondary PSU.

UPDATE 2:

I tried to connect the USB powered risers + GPU power to the secondary PSU, and nothing changes: the secondary psu powers on for 1 second then shuts off, with the primary PSU working fine powering 2 GPUs.
mirny
Legendary

Activity: 1108
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 03:58:35 AM
Last edit: January 13, 2017, 04:34:39 AM by mirny

At first, I need to say your rig is complete mess.
It means when some connectors passing to each other, it doesn't mean you can connect them together.
Just one question at start, did you tried to power up rig with only two cards?
Have you tried to do this with both psus? To ensure both psus are working?
This is main and basic thing to know. If so, you can continue further.
I was running similar setup 4x r9 280x with two corsairs 750W and 650W connected through add2psu.
Previously it was working with shorted green-black too. This setup was working for me even without powered risers.
And it wasn't necessary to hang some hdd, or dvd-rom to second psu, it was working without that.
So, in your case, I would do this. Unplug all those reduction molex/8pin cables which are powering gpus.
Then straight connect you gpus with 6+2 pcie cables, dont use those reductions.
I would connect 2gpus per psu for balanced consumption and best efficiency. 860 mobo+gpus+hdd, 760 gpus.
Then unplug that reduction sata/molex which is comming from first psu to add2psu.
Connect this through straight with molex connector, connect it with closer molex.
For power up risers, now you can use those sata/molex reductions, if you don't have enough molexes.
Same in here connect it with closer connector possible. Don't worry you can connect one hdd from one riser.
Connect gpus and risers from same psus. Then turn second psu on, then first on. Press power button,
and if all of your hardware isn't faulty, it should run now. But as you stated before, you said,
that you burned something, it means even if you have proper cabling now, it's not guaranteed it will work.
So try this, and I hope it will help.

This is my signature...
TeamGreen

Activity: 51

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 04:34:29 AM

Check out OCLink by Antec.  Simplifies the process for you.  I know you can use this feature on any of the platinum rated PSUs by Antec and possibly others.  Seems like most people go 2x 850w but they also have 1000w available if you need it.
mirny
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 04:35:39 AM

Check out OCLink by Antec.  Simplifies the process for you.  I know you can use this feature on any of the platinum rated PSUs by Antec and possibly others.  Seems like most people go 2x 850w but they also have 1000w available if you need it.

I had two 1600W beasts from Antec.

This is my signature...
a1unicorn (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 05:27:51 AM

At first, I need to say your rig is complete mess.
It means when some connectors passing to each other, it doesn't mean you can connect them together.
Just one question at start, did you tried to power up rig with only two cards?

Have you tried to do this with both psus? To ensure both psus are working?
This is main and basic thing to know. If so, you can continue further.
I was running similar setup 4x r9 280x with two corsairs 750W and 650W connected through add2psu.
Previously it was working with shorted green-black too. This setup was working for me even without powered risers.
And it wasn't necessary to hang some hdd, or dvd-rom to second psu, it was working without that.
So, in your case, I would do this. Unplug all those reduction molex/8pin cables which are powering gpus.
Then straight connect you gpus with 6+2 pcie cables, and I mean plug both sockets to gpu. That cable is builded for that.
I would connect 2gpus per psu for balanced consumption and best efficiency. 860 mobo+gpus+hdd, 760 gpus.
Then unplug that reduction sata/molex which is comming from first psu to add2psu.
Connect this through straight with molex connector, connect it with closer molex.
For power up risers, now you can use those sata/molex reductions, if you don't have enough molexes.
Same in here connect it with closer connector possible. Don't worry you can connect one hdd from one riser.
Connect gpus and risers from same psus. Then turn second psu on, then first on. Press power button,
and if all of your hardware isn't faulty, it should run now. But as you stated before, you said,
that you burned something, it means even if you have proper cabling now, it's not guaranteed it will work.
So try this, and I hope it will help.

Finally it works! I followed the advice of disconnecting sata/molex that was used to power my HDD and the add2psu, and instead running a direct molex from the primary psu to the add2psu. 2 GPUs and USB Powered risers on the secondary GPU.  Also on the 2 GPUs powered by the secondary PSU, I replaced the 6pin (2x3) molex to 8 pin cables, with PCIe cables. With all of this the secondary PSU switches on!  

Thank you.
mirny
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 01:43:32 AM

Finally it works! I followed the advice of disconnecting sata/molex that was used to power my HDD and the add2psu, and instead running a direct molex from the primary psu to the add2psu. 2 GPUs and USB Powered risers on the secondary GPU.  Also on the 2 GPUs powered by the secondary PSU, I replaced the 6pin (2x3) molex to 8 pin cables, with PCIe cables. With all of this the secondary PSU switches on!
Thank you.
[/quote]

You're welcome.
I'm always glad to help to people, when I see they put some effort to solve the problem by itself.
It doesn't matter is successfully, or not. Main thing is, they at least tried to do something about it.
So, enjoy your hash Smiley

This is my signature...
kristikun

Activity: 62

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 09:57:30 AM

Thank you.

You're welcome.
I'm always glad to help to people, when I see they put some effort to solve the problem by itself.
It doesn't matter is successfully, or not. Main thing is, they at least tried to do something about it.
So, enjoy your hash Smiley
[/quote]

I have similar problem , my vega rig has 3 cards on main PSU 1000gq evga gold with all risers conected to it ,ssd,mobo power, my second PSU is same brand 700GQ gold evga i have only 2 last gpus pluged in the second PSU  when i start mining on cards from both PSu the second Psu shuts down with cards , it works fine when i launch miner  on 3x cards on main PSu alone  or the 2 last cards on second psu

Im using https://www.miner-shop.cz/prislusenstvi/psu-2-psu/ to synchronize psus
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: