Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:30:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux... should I go Linux.. CAN I go Linux????  (Read 1217 times)
superdork (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:24:09 PM

I built myself a mining rig, first time ever putting a computer together and now that I am trying to get it up and running I am considering Linux but I have NO experience with Linux....so

1) am I crazy?  (specifically pertaining to trying Linux)

2) Can I go Linux with my rig?  ** Rig parts listed below

3) Is it too late? I already installed Windows 7.  

4) I am not a big fan of Windows, have been using Mac for a long time and although I used to know my way around windows, that was about 10 years ago, so I am pretty much starting from scratch either way.... so should I just put that effort into learning and setting up Linux?

5) If I go Linux, a) is Xubuntu the way to do it and b) is it tremendously more involved than downloading Xubuntu, setting that as first boot and rebooting and starting from scratch at that point?

6) Do I need to uninstall Windows? I have read about running them side by side, will that work?

7) Am I crazy?

*The ONLY thing I plan to do on this computer is mine (Btc and Ltc for now).  It seems like a lot of people claim Linux is more stable and that sounds GREAT! I hate windows freezing and crashing, I want my rig up and WORKING.

Parts in my rig:

Graphics Cards     Gigabyte HD7950 3Gb GD5   (X3)  (2 on order, 1 installed)
Processor            AMD FX 4130
Hard Drive          Samsung E 256GB SSD 840 Pro2.5S   (was only 50 bucks more than cheaper alternative, but better resale if needed)
Motherboard         ASROCK 970 Extreme 4  
Power                  Corsair 850W Proseries GLD MOD
Ram                   Crucial 16GB 8x2 D3 1600 DIMM C
Case                  Coolmast HAF XM MIDTWR ATX CASE

I am pretty good with following tutorials and I read and retain quite well. (Had zero problems assembling the rig with no experience whatsoever).... but if I am going to be in over my head for some unforeseen reason or something in my rig is not compatible, etc I would rather know before spending a ton of time on this. My thought process is that it still might be early enough in the game to make that switch and benefit from Linux's stability.

Any advice is appreciated.  I am a noob, but I am a very dedicated noob who is trying hard to educate myself so that one day hopefully soon I'll be answering more questions and asking less..... thanks for reading!!

feel free to leave a tip in my daughter's college fund if you found my posts helpful 1HiCE3vX7yr7Yqy4yHf36x4w1cmSEsrTbM

(or if you just want some good karma!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
superdork (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:01:00 PM

I'm going for it.....

feel free to do any of the following.

A) Give advice or answer questions.

B) Predict my outcome......

"That was easy, why did I even bother buying windows?"

"I never should have tried... trying leads to failing and I'm a failure'

(or anything in between.... be creative, be nice, be mean, whatever I have thick skin.)

feel free to leave a tip in my daughter's college fund if you found my posts helpful 1HiCE3vX7yr7Yqy4yHf36x4w1cmSEsrTbM

(or if you just want some good karma!)
elebit

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:04:47 PM

If you think computers are fun and would like to learn something new, go for it!

Just remember to have patience with your learning. Think back to how you were when you first learned Windows and how you went about it. It's also a different culture, so when something seems convoluted it may mean that Linux users don't do what you're trying to do and approach the problem from a different angle.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 12:11:23 AM

1) am I crazy?  (specifically pertaining to trying Linux)
Most certainly!  Wink
2) Can I go Linux with my rig?  ** Rig parts listed below
Almost any PC is capable of having Linux installed on it.
3) Is it too late? I already installed Windows 7.  
Nope. Even after installing Windows7, you can still start over. IIRC, the Ubuntu installer makes this very easy, and will guide you through it.
4) I am not a big fan of Windows, have been using Mac for a long time and although I used to know my way around windows, that was about 10 years ago, so I am pretty much starting from scratch either way.... so should I just put that effort into learning and setting up Linux?
I've used Windows, Mac, and Linux over the past 8 years. Windows has more support, Mac is fine if you don't touch it, but you can do almost ANYTHING with Linux. Once you start learning how to set things up how you need them, you just can't go back.
5) If I go Linux, a) is Xubuntu the way to do it and b) is it tremendously more involved than downloading Xubuntu, setting that as first boot and rebooting and starting from scratch at that point?
I would recommend the standard Xubuntu, or Lubuntu if you're looking for a lightweight system. Download the .iso, burn it to a disk, boot off the disk, and run through the automated installer.
6) Do I need to uninstall Windows? I have read about running them side by side, will that work?
You can run them side by side, with a dual-boot option on startup. Or you can just replace Windows. I would recommend the former, as you never know.
7) Am I crazy?
As I said before, once you get your miner all set up and running beautifully, you won't want to switch back to Windows. It just won't have the same features.
A) Give advice or answer questions.
There are plenty of guides and tutorials here on the forums. If that doesn't answer your question, google the shit out of it. You can learn a lot if you know where to look.
B) Predict my outcome......
I predict that there will be several points where you achieve success and go "Yes! Everything is working, so lets mine!". Then something else will catch your eye, and you will go "Hmm, I would really love to add the miner.php for remote monitoring..." or "I could really use an email alert if this thing goes offline for whatever reason...".

Have fun, and Good Luck!

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 12:24:52 AM

The above is nonsense.  Centos is the way to go.  
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: