Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:41:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Developing a Wallet?  (Read 4269 times)
st0nefish (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 06:22:46 PM

Bitcoin wallets have different characteristics, while basically having the same features. What we need to know to develop a new bitcoin wallet? What do we need technically?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 06:52:06 PM

Bitcoin wallets have different characteristics, while basically having the same features. What we need to know to develop a new bitcoin wallet? What do we need technically?

Obviously, you'll need programming experience to develop a new wallet. Which language you choose to write it in would be up to you, of course.

It is probably better to try and contribute to an open source wallet that already exists than to try and create your own from the ground up though. Not sure there is really a need for more wallets at this point.
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 06:56:00 PM

We already have enough desktop wallets for the moment , If you want to build something then I suggest targeting phone and web wallets since we don't have that much and If we do , they definitely need improvements.
Unless you know what you are doing and you have the required years of programming experience and security , Its not really a good idea to stop making a wallet , at least not for public use.
st0nefish (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 07:25:11 PM

Actually, what I want to know is the working logic of wallets. For example new altcoins are coming out. Different wallets are being developed for these altcoins.
Is it like the bitcoin wallets in the logic of the wallets developed for the new altcoins?
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3346
Merit: 6473

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2017, 09:10:34 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

A wallet has to follow the protocol and consensus of whatever network and coin it is using. It has to be able to connect to nodes on the network and then send and receive messages to and from the connected nodes. It then has to be able to validate blocks and transactions according to the rules of whatever network and coin it is for.

A wallet also has to have some way to securely store private keys and then be able to use those private keys to sign things (usually transactions). It also has to know how to build transactions and how to sign them.

The actual details for how a wallet works varies from coin to coin as different coins use different technologies and specifications.

nekochan

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 05:45:50 PM

Well technically you could make a wallet on top of the RPC protocol and run the RCP cli in the background. This way you'd only need a GUI which isn't that hard to implement.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1295

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 07:10:06 PM

Actually, what I want to know is the working logic of wallets. For example new altcoins are coming out. Different wallets are being developed for these altcoins.
Is it like the bitcoin wallets in the logic of the wallets developed for the new altcoins?

Depending on the amount of detail of the logic you want, looking at the source code of some open source wallets might be your best bet.
jeraldskie11

Activity: 1246
Merit: 356

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 11:51:41 PM

all features that we need to develop is to be more trusted and fully secure the walllets and do what they say and don't run away our money so that people didn't have any problem about it saving or storing they're money on to it.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
senyorito123

Activity: 1694
Merit: 505

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 06:06:23 AM

I think you need to pursue other open source work and make some adjustments or add some helpful features in it. Also you need some security measures in it. If you are a skilled programmer, you know what to do. But if you don't have any idea on programming at all. Just proceed another projects. Bitcoin wallets need a lot of programming to be called a safe wallet or safer wallet.

````▄▄██████▄▄▄```▄▄██████▄▄
``▄███████████▀`▄████████████▄
`█████``````▀``█████``````█████
████``````````████````█▄````████
███``````````▄███`````███````███
████````▄█▄``███▀`````█▀````████
`█████``███`████`▄██``````█████
``▀████████`██▀`▄████████████▀
````▀▀█████`▀```▀▀▀▀██████▀▀
````````▀█▀

````````▄███████████████████████▄
```````██▀```▄███▀`▄█▀`````````▀██
▐███▄`██````▄███▀`▄█▀````````````██`▄███▌
`▀███▄█▄```▄███▀`▄█▀`````````````▄█▄███▀
``▄▄█████████████████████████████████▄▄
`████▄```▀█████████████████████▀```▄████
`█████▄````▀██████▄```▄██████▀````▄█████
`███████████████████████████████████████
`▐█████████████████████████████████████▌
``▀███████████████████████████████████▀
````██████`````````````````````██████
`▄▄`▀████▀`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`▀████▀`▄▄

FIGHT, RACE, OWN STREETS
PLAY 2 EARN CYBERCASH
LEVEL-UP AND BUILD NFT

....PRE-REGISTER....
st0nefish (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2017, 03:16:22 PM

A wallet has to follow the protocol and consensus of whatever network and coin it is using. It has to be able to connect to nodes on the network and then send and receive messages to and from the connected nodes. It then has to be able to validate blocks and transactions according to the rules of whatever network and coin it is for.

A wallet also has to have some way to securely store private keys and then be able to use those private keys to sign things (usually transactions). It also has to know how to build transactions and how to sign them.

The actual details for how a wallet works varies from coin to coin as different coins use different technologies and specifications.

As far as I understand it, I need a serious knowledge and experience in programming to develop wallet. It does not seem like a job that ordinary programmers can do.

Which technologies do we need to know? As far as I know bitcoin networks are working with p2p logic. So the programmer who develops the wallet needs to have the network information.

Finally, what programming languages do we need to know to develop your wallet? Can we develop with any programming language?
eddyfly

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2017, 03:38:20 PM

all features that we need to develop is to be more trusted and fully secure the walllets and do what they say and don't run away our money so that people didn't have any problem about it saving or storing they're money on to it.
very important
Coding Enthusiast
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783

Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2017, 05:14:49 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I am also interested in this so I am going to try and answer and hope others correct me and add more info.

As far as I understand it, I need a serious knowledge and experience in programming to develop wallet. It does not seem like a job that ordinary programmers can do.
Yes, because we aren't talking about a simple tool, a bitcoin wallet deals with other people's money and the security aspect of it becomes paramount.

Which technologies do we need to know? As far as I know bitcoin networks are working with p2p logic. So the programmer who develops the wallet needs to have the network information.
Cryptography I think is the most part and most important part of it, and then it is network and connecting to nodes, knowing and following the network consensus, saving blockchain and read/write to it.

Finally, what programming languages do we need to know to develop your wallet? Can we develop with any programming language?
Any programming language should do.
Bitcoin Core is written mostly in C++
Electrum is mostly Python
Multibit is Java
Armory is mostly C++ and Python
Greenaddress is Shell and Javascript and HTML
mSignia is C++
mycelium is Java
breadwallet is Objective C
BitAddress is JavaScript and HTML

I have not yet seen C♯, Ruby, PHP, Go, C

Projects List+Suggestion box
Donate: 1Q9s or bc1q
|
|
|
FinderOuter(0.19.1)Ann-git
Denovo(0.7.0)Ann-git
Bitcoin.Net(0.26.0)Ann-git
|
|
|
BitcoinTransactionTool(0.11.0)Ann-git
WatchOnlyBitcoinWallet(3.2.1)Ann-git
SharpPusher(0.12.0)Ann-git
Bitcoin_BOy$

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

|| Web developer ||

View Profile
January 18, 2017, 05:34:15 PM

Today, for a person I don't think developing a wallet is a good idea, Only A big company should do it, you won't get any trust by bitcoin users
since they're facing a lot of scams and trust is now a huge problem.

Anyway take a look on Electrum open source project, You need to have goods skills in Python.
st0nefish (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 06:33:16 PM

I am also interested in this so I am going to try and answer and hope others correct me and add more info.

Yes, because we aren't talking about a simple tool, a bitcoin wallet deals with other people's money and the security aspect of it becomes paramount.

Cryptography I think is the most part and most important part of it, and then it is network and connecting to nodes, knowing and following the network consensus, saving blockchain and read/write to it.

Any programming language should do.
Bitcoin Core is written mostly in C++
Electrum is mostly Python
Multibit is Java
Armory is mostly C++ and Python
Greenaddress is Shell and Javascript and HTML
mSignia is C++
mycelium is Java
breadwallet is Objective C
BitAddress is JavaScript and HTML

I have not yet seen C♯, Ruby, PHP, Go, C

In fact, programming languages are a tool. If it can be written in languages such as Java, Python, and JavaScript, it can be written in any language. But each of the topics you talk about requires special expertise.

As Bitcoin_BOy$ said, there is also a trust part. Even if the individual wallet is developed, it must be accepted by the bitcoin community.
Coding Enthusiast
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783

Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2017, 02:08:34 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

As Bitcoin_BOy$ said, there is also a trust part. Even if the individual wallet is developed, it must be accepted by the bitcoin community.

Actually I don't agree with the trust part. Trust is earned over time, if any developer gives up because he has no history and no trust, development is over.
Also everything is open source and if it is good, it will get peer reviewed, you can see this on GitHub in the number of "Stars" and "watchers" and "contributors" and some other stuff.

Projects List+Suggestion box
Donate: 1Q9s or bc1q
|
|
|
FinderOuter(0.19.1)Ann-git
Denovo(0.7.0)Ann-git
Bitcoin.Net(0.26.0)Ann-git
|
|
|
BitcoinTransactionTool(0.11.0)Ann-git
WatchOnlyBitcoinWallet(3.2.1)Ann-git
SharpPusher(0.12.0)Ann-git
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 07:22:05 AM

Actually I don't agree with the trust part. Trust is earned over time, if any developer gives up because he has no history and no trust, development is over.
Also everything is open source and if it is good, it will get peer reviewed, you can see this on GitHub in the number of "Stars" and "watchers" and "contributors" and some other stuff.

Yeah, everyone may not trust a new wallet initially until others have had the time to inspect and audit the code, but this shouldn't discourage development. Trust comes with time and if the software is built well, you should be able to gain trust after some time as long as the code is open source.
novemberwoah

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 08:16:15 AM

Yeah, everyone may not trust a new wallet initially until others have had the time to inspect and audit the code, but this shouldn't discourage development. Trust comes with time and if the software is built well, you should be able to gain trust after some time as long as the code is open source.
Yes it is difficult for a new wallet to get the trust of many people, and it was reasonable in my opinion. I am very agree with you say that the trust will be built come with time and development wallet. To develop a new wallet I think it might be better if it focused on the development of security. Because if the security on wallet growing and increasingly secure, I'm sure many people will begin to believe and use the wallet.
stardustin

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 09:56:08 AM

Nowdays there are so many bitcoin wallets which are safer and it's waste of time if you are going to built one wallet alone and that's hard doo. You need to know porgramming language, mostly c++ but also you can to write wallet in another language but I advice you c++
saqibmunir

Activity: 267
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 12:01:58 PM

there are many online wallet for bitcoin and there is no need to create new one but of course for developing a wallet you have to expert in a certian programming language you use it for making a wallet.........
hitjariwala

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 12:30:25 PM

HI,

Any Member use NBitcoin Library?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: