Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:08:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend me a Bitcoin Miner.  (Read 847 times)
KenR (OP)

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

「きみはこれ&#

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 12:40:22 PM

Mods are free to move the thread in the correct sections.

I've recently moved to place where electricity is extremely cheap and the weather is cold.I know that mining isn't profitable anymore but if I can leverage a few satoshi's with initial investments,I would be happy.

████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  .WEBSITE.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  .ANN THREAD.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 02:27:36 PM

Without an exact amount it's still difficult to recommend a miner. A6 and S7 could work well for you, not too expensive and doesn't break as much as S9s.
KenR (OP)

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

「きみはこれ&#

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 03:28:52 PM

Without an exact amount it's still difficult to recommend a miner. A6 and S7 could work well for you, not too expensive and doesn't break as much as S9s.
I have no idea about the exact amounts.But I would prefer the one that makes less noise,lasts longer and obviously consumes less electricity.If you have any leads,that would work too.Thank you.

████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  .WEBSITE.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  .ANN THREAD.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 03:41:38 PM

I have no idea about the exact amounts.But I would prefer the one that makes less noise,lasts longer and obviously consumes less electricity.If you have any leads,that would work too.Thank you.

The S7 is louder but more efficient giving you more bang for your buck. The A6 is quieter but less efficient although it uses the same amount of power. S7 does 4.73th roughly and A6 does 3.5. Really a noise thing here. By no means are they near silent but they are quiet compared to other miners.
ZedZedNova

Activity: 475
Merit: 265

Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 06:42:31 PM

Most efficient in stock form on the market now are the Antminer S9 and Avalon A721. Both are loud, but the S9 is louder than the A721. Both require more than 1000 Watts to power.

Antminer S7s are still popular, but less efficient, and still pretty loud. If you can find an Antminer S7LN, they can be quieter, but the quietest S7LN is one that has been hacked to alter the power fed to the ASIC chains. By reducing the power you do reduce the total hash rate, but it still generates ~2 TH/s and only draws ~450 Watts. This lower power draw allows you to turn the fan speed down to 20% or so and still let the chips run hot enough (~50C) to hash properly (they do not like being "cold").

I have a sidehack modded S7LN that is drawing ~450 watts at the wall, producing ~2 TH/s, and with fans set to 20% is quiet enough to have in the office beside my desk. I can also watch TV without having the volume cranked up. See the link in my sig for the recent S7LN stats.

No mining at the moment.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2017, 06:53:08 PM

Unfortunately, it seems like miner development has gradually let go of trying to reduce the noise.
If you want something efficient these days, you'll have to go with something that makes a lot more noise than what miners used to do.

If noise is more important to you, you could always go with a less efficient miner. Everything would depend on how much your electricity costs exactly.
ZedZedNova

Activity: 475
Merit: 265

Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 07:59:25 PM

Unfortunately, it seems like miner development has gradually let go of trying to reduce the noise.
If you want something efficient these days, you'll have to go with something that makes a lot more noise than what miners used to do.

If noise is more important to you, you could always go with a less efficient miner. Everything would depend on how much your electricity costs exactly.

If you are talking about the primary ASIC manufacturers big(ish) TH/s miners, then yes, that is true. However, sidehack, a reputable user here on the forum, is building smaller quieter miners that could be used in a home. Check these threads for more info:

GekkoScience is now dabbling with 16nm ASICs for new designs

[FOR SALE - SIDEHACK STICK] GekkoScience 2PAC - 2x BM1384 USB Stick Miner

I purchased my S7LN from sidehack (he handled getting it from Bitmain, modding it, then shipping it to me) and had no problems with the transaction.

No mining at the moment.
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2017, 08:04:46 PM

Depending on how much hash rate you want and how much money you would like to invest I would either try to find a second-hand Antminer S7-LN (quiet version of the S7) or the Antminer R4 (very quiet cooling fan solution).

Antminer R4 is currently for sale at shop.bitmain.com but they are usually sold out pretty quickly.
Batch 5 (hash rate 7.5 Th/s) is 916 USD plus shipping and batch 6 (hash rate 8.7 Th/s) is 1132 USD plus shipping.

hajimasan

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 08:10:46 PM

Mods are free to move the thread in the correct sections.

I've recently moved to place where electricity is extremely cheap and the weather is cold.I know that mining isn't profitable anymore but if I can leverage a few satoshi's with initial investments,I would be happy.

I myself will never suggest you for miner .
but still if you want buy miner , then you need to buy atleast  antminer s8 .
Because if you will buy versions below of s8 you will get your return of spent in the miners after 5-6 months , which is a big long time , Secondly these will make a irritating sound and consume your internet data connect also .
So I will suggest , first calculate your profit in every ways then made buy .
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2017, 08:31:55 PM

There is no Antminer S8, I guess you mean S9.

Antminer S9 is loud as hell and it doesn't fit for home mining unless you got a good soundproof cabinet which also usually costs some money unless you find one for free somehow. I made a soundproof cabinet for my S9s myself for quite reasonable cost.

VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
January 16, 2017, 03:53:54 PM

Avalon A721 or Bitmain R4 are your choices for use in house.  S7 can be clocked/fanned down to acceptable sound levels, but efficiency isn't as good as the above more recent units.

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: