Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:18:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the deal with SEPA transfers being reversible?  (Read 316 times)
K~Ehleyr (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Ooh, shiny things!!

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 01:49:24 PM

I'm starting to consider trying my hand at localbitcoins and similar, but while researching I keep coming across claims that SEPA transfers cannot be trusted because the sender can recall them.  Can anyone give me a definitive answer on this, please, as I have worked in a European bank and have never known a SEPA transfer to be returned without the express written consent of the beneficiary.

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Serpens66
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1131

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 05:08:57 PM

They are not reversible BUT the bank can tell you to send it back or they will sue you, IF the owner of the bank account claims that he did not send this money (but a hacker).

So you will have big problems with banks trying to get back the money. Most people say that if you are going to court, you would win it and can keep the money. But it will definitely take alot of time and money to get there. And of course your bank can close your bank account without providing any reason. And they will do so, if you get stolen money too often (sometimes once is "too often).

You should ask companies how they do deal with fraudulent SEPA transfers. Obviously they have a better way to deal with it.

Mit Cointracking (10% Rabatt) behältst du die Übersicht über all deine Trades und Gewinne. Sogar ein Tool für die Steuer ist dabei Wink                          
Great Freeware Game: Clonk Rage
binance.com hat nun auch SEPA und EUR Paare! Mit dem RefLink bekommst du 5% Rabatt auf die Tradinggebühren!
K~Ehleyr (OP)

Ooh, shiny things!!

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 05:13:54 PM

Ah thank you for explaining!  I guess, even though the bank would normally ask for proof of fraud, Bitcoin is something they would disapprove of anyway.

I've just opened an account with Fidor AG, hopefully that will mitigate the risk...
valta4065

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Join @Bountycloud for the best bounties!

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 05:23:21 PM

I'm starting to consider trying my hand at localbitcoins and similar, but while researching I keep coming across claims that SEPA transfers cannot be trusted because the sender can recall them.  Can anyone give me a definitive answer on this, please, as I have worked in a European bank and have never known a SEPA transfer to be returned without the express written consent of the beneficiary.

Thanks.

Hey,

I hang a lot at localbitcoin.
I buy and sell BTC essentially with SEPA. And never got any problem.
Theoretically SEPA transfer can be asked back by a bank, but for that the person doing the transfer must lie to the bank stating that he was not the one who made the transfer and he got pirated...
Never happened.

█▄       ▄                                            ████     ▐███▌                                               
    ▐████▄ ▄██                                           █████     ████▌                                               
    ▐█████████▌                                          █████     ████                                                
▄▄▄▄▄███████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                                   █████    █████                                 █████          
  ▀█████▀▀  ▄██████████▄                   ████     ▄██████████████████████                             █████          
    ▀▀  ▄▄██████████████                  █████     ██████████████████████                             ▄█████          
    ▄██████▀██▀█████████     ▄██████   ▄██████████      ████     █████          ▄████████    ▄██████▄  █████  █████    
    █████▀▀ ▀▀ ▀██████    ▄███████████ ███████████     ▐████     █████       ▄███████████  ██████████  ██████████████  
    ███████ █ ██████    ▄█████▀ ▐█████  ▐█████         █████     █████      ▄██████▀ ████ █████▀  ▀██  ██████████████  
    █████▄  ▄ ▄▄██████▌ ██████████████  ██████    ██████████████████████▄ ▄█████    █████ ████████     █████    █████  
   ▐██████ ██ █████████ ████████████    █████▌    ▀██████████████████████ █████    ██████  ██████████ ▄████▀   ▄█████  
   ████████████████████ ██████          █████          ████     █████     █████▄  ███████      ██████ █████    ██████  
   ██████████████████   █████████████  ████████      ▄████    ▐████▌     ██████████████  ███████████ █████    █████   
   ████████████████▀      ██████████     ███████▀     ████▀     ████▌     ████████▌ ███  ▀████████   █████    █████   

|
    Bet on Future Blocks & Earn a Passive Income   
             Supports Bitcoin, Ethereum, EOS and more!             
   🎰 Play Lottery
🎲 Play Dice
🍀Get Referral Bonus
    ▄████████▄
  █████▀█▀██████
 ████▄  ▄  ▀█████
██████▌ ▀▀▀ ▄████▌
██████▌ ███  ████▌
 ████      ▄▄████
  █████▄█▄█████▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀
    ▄▄███████▄
  ▄█████████████
 █████████▀ ▀▀███▄
▐███▌   ▀    ▐████
▐████        █████
 █████▀    ▄█████▀
  ▀█████████████
    ▀▀███████▀
   ▄▄███████▄▄
 ▄█████████████▄
▄████████▀▀   ███
████▀▀  ▄█▀  ████
██▄▄ ▄█▀     ████
▀█████      █████
 ▀████▄███▄ ███▀
    ▀███████▀
K~Ehleyr (OP)

Ooh, shiny things!!

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 05:25:06 PM

Thanks.

Hey,

I hang a lot at localbitcoin.
I buy and sell BTC essentially with SEPA. And never got any problem.
Theoretically SEPA transfer can be asked back by a bank, but for that the person doing the transfer must lie to the bank stating that he was not the one who made the transfer and he got pirated...
Never happened.

That's reassuring - thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: