Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:39:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another DDOS and sell-off...  (Read 3202 times)
SlickMcFavorite

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 01:43:33 PM

So, when I can access the Mt.Gox site BUT bitcoinity has no reported activity for some number of minutes...what does this mean?

Mt.Gox is online but shut down trading?
Mt.Gox working properly but their API is offline?
Bitcoinity is lagging?
Issues arising from Mt.Gox changing the way their API works?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dandirk

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:02:44 PM

So, when I can access the Mt.Gox site BUT bitcoinity has no reported activity for some number of minutes...what does this mean?

Mt.Gox is online but shut down trading?
Mt.Gox working properly but their API is offline?
Bitcoinity is lagging?
Issues arising from Mt.Gox changing the way their API works?

I think mtgox is changing the output of the api... looks to be dynamic, probably based on traffic to reduce lag.  I will see bitcoinity not report a sale for up to 5 min, then a flood of action and another delay.
Frost

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:07:20 PM

This all seems to me too pretty borked imo
SlickMcFavorite

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:09:03 PM

I think mtgox is changing the output of the api... looks to be dynamic, probably based on traffic to reduce lag.  I will see bitcoinity not report a sale for up to 5 min, then a flood of action and another delay.

Thanks dandirk,

I see pretty much the exact same behavior. Since bitcoinity is AWESOME, i will assume the fault is on the Gox end. Does make it pretty much impossible to do quick trades, though.
dandirk

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:20:16 PM

I think mtgox is changing the output of the api... looks to be dynamic, probably based on traffic to reduce lag.  I will see bitcoinity not report a sale for up to 5 min, then a flood of action and another delay.

Thanks dandirk,

I see pretty much the exact same behavior. Since bitcoinity is AWESOME, i will assume the fault is on the Gox end. Does make it pretty much impossible to do quick trades, though.

I wouldn't take my work for it...  I am just guessing.  Bitcoinity I am guessing added/upgraded their servers after the crash.  So I would guess it is not on their end, but it could be.  I also see the same type of delay for bitfloor, though in that case bitfloor is reporting a ddos attacks.

They could also be issues with mtgox and traffic to... during these delays, mtgox also seems to be a little less active when refreshing the sell page/prices.

Maybe someone with more then guesses and observation will chime in.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:26:15 PM

I think mtgox is changing the output of the api... looks to be dynamic, probably based on traffic to reduce lag.  I will see bitcoinity not report a sale for up to 5 min, then a flood of action and another delay.

Thanks dandirk,

I wouldn't take my work for it...  I am just guessing.  Bitcoinity I am guessing added/upgraded their servers after the crash.  So I would guess it is not on their end, but it could be.  I also see the same type of delay for bitfloor, though in that case bitfloor is reporting a ddos attacks.

Yesterday, Bitcoinity had a message on their site "Please ask Mt.Gox not to use a 5 min cache on the api data. Contact information here." or something similar.

I prefer 5 min cache on the api data if it keeps Gox alive.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:34:34 PM

MtGox looks down from here. "Error 109 (net::ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE): Unable to reach the server."
dandirk

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:41:17 PM

MtGox looks down from here. "Error 109 (net::ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE): Unable to reach the server."

Seems active on the website... buy prices changing... but volume is pretty low...
Manticore

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 08:31:13 PM

If you are sceptical become sceptical of the validity of the DDOS claim. This smells like a scapegoat to me.

The DDoS mythology is overblown....they use it as an excuse for any sell-off.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1011

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 08:34:21 PM

I'm beginning to be very skeptical now.

Congratulations, you win the weakest hands award.
Sweet!
I thought you only posted under Proudhon?

Manticore

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 08:36:56 PM

Sorry that was meant they are propping volume.
I think the concept behind this is to increase volatility and as such the frequency of trades. Once the trading volume has gone up to this levels it will take a while for it to come down, during which they will collect fees.

As for their reputation: It's not like we can catch them doing it, we can either believe their explanations or come up with something our own. Neither of which can be proved either way.

I've had my own theories, which I won't rehash. I've seen some very questionable pricing and volume action on Gox. An unregulated exchange certainly leaves the door wide open to the full range of shenanigans circa 1920 NYSE.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1011

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 08:39:50 PM

Sorry that was meant they are propping volume.
I think the concept behind this is to increase volatility and as such the frequency of trades. Once the trading volume has gone up to this levels it will take a while for it to come down, during which they will collect fees.

As for their reputation: It's not like we can catch them doing it, we can either believe their explanations or come up with something our own. Neither of which can be proved either way.

I've had my own theories, which I won't rehash. I've seen some very questionable pricing and volume action on Gox. An unregulated exchange certainly leaves the door wide open to the full range of shenanigans circa 1920 NYSE.
Can you show me where on gox's site that they explain any deposits will be segregated and WILL not be used by the exchange to fulfill orders or allowing shorting (lending of depositor's bitcoins) without approval?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: