Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:29:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to BTC  (Read 405 times)
shadylane318 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:09:53 AM

Hey guys,

I'm new to BTC and have followed the instructions on creating a web and local wallet. I'm currently at a roadblock and can't quite understand the process of funding my accounts for purchasing bitcoins. Here are some of my questions:

1. What's the best way to fund my wallet for purchasing bitcoins? I currently have an account with Coinbase & Bitstamp & Blockchain
2. What service is the best for buying in bulk? 5,000 - 10,000?
3. I have a Mac. What are some great security measures for Mac users? Armory is currently being developed for the mac. I need something to hold me over in the meantime
4. How do my online wallets with coinbase, bitstamp, and blockchain interact with local wallet (Bitcoin QT).

I really appreciate everyone's time and help on these questions!
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
noyvpom

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:41:56 AM

There are many exchanges, mt gox is the biggest. I brought my first ones in IRC, and sold some on localbitcoins, seems good
shadylane318 (OP)

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:44:06 AM

Does MTGox have a daily limit?
They seem to be down half the time.
Is it easy to fund?
bstatic

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 04:22:28 AM

1. MTGox is a bit swamped these days so I suggest using other exchanges. You can wire money to exchanges or buy other currencies and sometimes over-the-counter coupons depending on where you are. Trade some dollars for BTC on Bitstamp or check localbitcoins.com or bitcoin-otc. There are a lot of other markets, see this for more. I don't know if this might help you.

2. I don't have that experience so I can't help you.

3. I don't own a mac but take a look at this list.

4. The wallet holds the private keys to the bitcoin address which proves that you own it. In Bitcoin-Qt the wallet is stored in wallet.dat and on web wallets it's stored in a database on their server. If you have bitcoins in a web wallet, you should transfer the bitcoins to an address in your local wallet. Another way to do it is to export the private keys (also called secret keys) to your computer and then import them to your local keychain. Keep in mind however that even though you exported the private keys from the web wallet, they still know the private keys. That's why you should always send your money to a new address which you have created locally and only you know the secret key. For best security, you should create addresses offline and stored the keys on cold storage.
uk1
Copper Member

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 04:24:17 AM

1PGCBcSiiJFGf6hYHDiQ7GrwpMdmYSoVPX

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: