Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:47:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitBuntu LiveCD R2  (Read 4222 times)
N0 (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 10:12:33 AM
Last edit: April 15, 2013, 09:21:33 AM by N0

I released an update for my liveCD that comes pre installed with all your Bitcoin needs -
  • offline version of bitaddress.org
  • vanitygen
  • Bitcoin-qt
  • Electrum
  • cpuminer (bitcoin and litecoin)
  • Bitcoin Live chrome extension
  • Bitcoin bookmarks
  • Bitcoin backgrounds

I decided not to add other clients  like Armory and Multibit since they require extra components like JRE and I preferred to keep this version as slim as possible.

If you think there are any more tools I should add or links to include I'd be happy to hear about them.

you can download it here -
https://blog.non.co.il/index.php/bitbuntu-livecd/

Please keep in mind I don't care if trust this ISO not to steal your coins.
I'd probably wouldn't trust this if I wasn't the one who made it.
If your a newbie don't download anything you can't trust.
be sure that if I wanted I could have backed a CD that will steal all your coins from your computer and the ones you generate here.
So only use this LiveCD for testing or if you think you can trust its author.
If your a computer professional test this ISO if you find any proof of malicious activity warn people, but if you don't let other people know they can trust it
other then that I'm not going to pay any attention to "I don't trust you" comments

The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 08:30:16 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2013, 11:14:45 PM by etotheipi

I decided not to add other clients  like Armory and Multibit since they require extra components like JRE and I preferred to keep this version as slim as possible.

If you think there are any more tools I should add or links to include I'd be happy to hear about them.

For reference, Armory is trivial to build in Ubuntu.  It is five terminal commands:

• sudo apt-get install git-core build-essential pyqt4-dev-tools swig libqtcore4 libqt4-dev python-qt4 python-dev python-twisted python-psutil
  • git clone git://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory.git
  • cd BitcoinArmory
  • make
  • python ArmoryQt.py

It's not terribly large, either.  The offline bundle has all dependencies included to run on an offline computer and is 25 MB.  

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
uyjulian

Activity: 55

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 11:13:46 PM

no TOR or text-mode browser? aww Sad
archimediate

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 01:53:28 AM

Not really expecting an answer but I'll ask anyway...

Does anyone know how you would make a USB bootable live version of this for Mac?  Don't judge!

Lips sealed

I could always use tips for diapers and formula!  Smiley

1BPd97bFKxyRWKm6ayzhgRAqsd3aA8VD8K
N0 (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 04:59:07 AM

For reference, Armory is trivial to build in Ubuntu.  It is five terminal commands:

• sudo apt-get install git-core build-essential pyqt4-dev-tools swig libqtcore4 libqt4-dev python-qt4 python-dev python-twisted python-psutil
  • cd BitcoinArmory
  • make
  • python ArmoryQt.py

It's not terribly large, either.  The offline bundle has all dependencies included to run on an offline computer and is 25 MB.  

I'll check again for next release but I think when I checked it didn't look like it will offer any extra features.
I'm trying to make this iso small enough to fit on a regular cd but maybe its to large any way now.

I guess Tor is important and I'll try to add it. but why would you need a text mode browser what the advantages ?

Does anyone know how you would make a USB bootable live version of this for Mac?  Don't judge!

Lips sealed
you have unetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
which will turn any livecd iso to a bootable usb.
let me know if you manage to use it and if the usb runs on mac (it shouldn't matter but I don't have a mac to test it on)

mandelbert

Activity: 26

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 05:06:33 AM

Armory is a very good wallet with excellent features. I would love to see it on a live CD. Also, litecoin is getting bigger, perhaps it is possible to throw a litecoin wallet in there?

A live CD sounds really cool BTW and I would love to try it out.
N0 (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 05:16:30 AM

Armory is a very good wallet with excellent features. I would love to see it on a live CD. Also, litecoin is getting bigger, perhaps it is possible to throw a litecoin wallet in there?

A live CD sounds really cool BTW and I would love to try it out.

can you please elaborate a bit about armory features ?
and what advantage does it have over Bitcoin-qt and Electrum
(I think if you have both of theme they cover all the features you might need for a one time use but if many people ask I will add
it Armory as well).

You have a litecoin-qt available on the cd (I just didn't create an icon for it so to not confuse any newbies, you also have
ltc-minerd which is the litecoin version of cpuminer)

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 05:27:53 AM

Armory:

• Printable paper backups
  • Only-one-time-ever-needed backups (deterministic wallets)
  • Multiple wallet interface
  • Offline wallets with watching-only wallets for the online computer.
  • GPU-resistant wallet encryption
  • Key import & export
  • Key sweeping
  • Coin control
  • Custom Change addresses
  • Transaction history export to .csv
  • Payment request blocks (to be copied into emails or webpages with URLs)

I'm sure that's not even all of it.  There's been a lot of demand for a live CD with Armory on it, because thousands of people rely on the offline wallets feature, but it's not trivial to setup offline in Linux and I'm not good with live distributions (though I distribute an offline bundle for Ubuntu 10.04-32bit for that reason).

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
N0 (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 05:39:35 AM

Ok so I'll add Armory and Tor on the next release.

What about bookmarks ?
I'm sure there are many important links I missed
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 05:44:47 AM

Ok so I'll add Armory and Tor on the next release.

What about bookmarks ?
I'm sure there are many important links I missed

If you tell me what distro it is based on, I'll make an offline bundle for you -- making it absolutely trivial to install it in your live environment.  It'll just be a zip file containing all the .deb files needed to run it without an internet connection.  Or maybe the build instructions I put there are sufficient for building the live CD (sorry, not all that familiar with how it works).

N0 (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 05:59:45 AM

it is based on ubuntu 12.10.
I saw there is a deb file so I think I'll be able to install it but I haven't tried yet.
I'll wait a bit to see what other suggestions people have, and I'll try to release a new version next weekend.
I'll PM you if I can't install it for some reason.

archimediate

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 10:21:34 AM

• cd BitcoinArmory
  • make
  • python ArmoryQt.py

I'll check again for next release but I think when I checked it didn't look like it will offer any extra features.
I'm trying to make this iso small enough to fit on a regular cd but maybe its to large any way now.

I guess Tor is important and I'll try to add it. but why would you need a text mode browser what the advantages ?

Lips sealed
you have unetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
which will turn any livecd iso to a bootable usb.
let me know if you manage to use it and if the usb runs on mac (it shouldn't matter but I don't have a mac to test it on)

I really appreciate the response.  I was unaware of this!  Thanks.  Smiley

I could always use tips for diapers and formula!  Smiley

1BPd97bFKxyRWKm6ayzhgRAqsd3aA8VD8K
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 12:17:00 PM

I vote for armory!

Also pls include some encryption program like Truecrypt to encrypt your wallet and priv. key files!

Are there some additional printer drivers available that you could add to make sure I have support for my own printer if I wanted to print out my priv. keys?
taiping

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 12:17:42 PM

I will try your LIVECD, but would prefer to assemble an iso myself using UBUNTU 12.10 and ELECTRUM.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to do that?

Steve
------------------
N0 (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 12:39:42 PM

I vote for armory!

Also pls include some encryption program like Truecrypt to encrypt your wallet and priv. key files!

Are there some additional printer drivers available that you could add to make sure I have support for my own printer if I wanted to print out my priv. keys?

Truecrypt and keepass2 are preinstalled.
About printers I'm not sure if this is possible for me at the moment.
If your printer is not supported (and I think ubuntu supports many out of the box ) you can go online just for the printer install or just save your driver to USB stick if you think it will be more secure.

I will try your LIVECD, but would prefer to assemble an iso myself using UBUNTU 12.10 and ELECTRUM.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to do that?

Steve
------------------
taiping you might wanna check remastersys -
http://www.remastersys.com/
it what I used to make this distro, it is not that hard to use.
I hope to write a tutorial on how to use it but I have too much stuff on
my mind at the moment

Meatpile

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:39:16 PM

Its an absolute terrible idea to trust your digital currencies to OS bundles from random internet strangers...
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:07:57 PM

Its an absolute terrible idea to trust your digital currencies to OS bundles from random internet strangers...

I agree  Sad
Its not a good idea to back up your Bitcoins using a software that was deviced for the sole purpose of backing up Bitcoins.
Why not? Because you are much more likely to get a Bitcoin stealer malware on your system if you use software with Bitcoins in mind, than just reverting to some standard all-purpose software that was deviced probably long before Bitcoin was an issue.

I appreciate the effort nevertheless and hope that this can turn into an ongoing and well maintained project if complexity is reduced and all source code of the package thoroughly checked for malicious code by third parties so even I would feel comfortable to use it. Till then its a rocky road, so best of luck!
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:18:27 PM

imagine electrum or other client is modified and pick the private key from a pool, each download change the pool.
Even if you do not plug your livecd to internet, your money is at risk...
if one use the live cd for security reason to make some nice cold storage, he might have a bitter surprise....

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:40:13 PM

I agree  Sad
Its not a good idea to back up your Bitcoins using a software that was deviced for the sole purpose of backing up Bitcoins.
Why not? Because you are much more likely to get a Bitcoin stealer malware on your system if you use software with Bitcoins in mind, than just reverting to some standard all-purpose software that was deviced probably long before Bitcoin was an issue.

I appreciate the effort nevertheless and hope that this can turn into an ongoing and well maintained project if complexity is reduced and all source code of the package thoroughly checked for malicious code by third parties so even I would feel comfortable to use it. Till then its a rocky road, so best of luck!

This.
I'm getting more and more paranoid installing ANY closed-source software released after 2010!
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 11:33:11 PM

I agree  Sad

This.
I'm getting more and more paranoid installing ANY closed-source software released after 2010!

I trust my bitcoins with bitcoin-qt binaries from ppa and kind of hate the situation. What I consider really safe is open source software from github or bitbucket that has many many forks and no changes in months as I would guess that people that forked it, also had a look for malware and with months of time since the last change or with reviewing the last changes myself, I feel pretty safe with projects like vanitygen or braiwallet. Vanitygen has some more of my trust as it was designed with speed of creating valid keys in mind, so there is not much around that could be stealing my keys. It could use weak crypto though but I heard no such accusations, so hey, maybe it's secure Wink

Edit: Yeah, I totally agree to not trust any bitcoin software like self-extracting backgrounds or widgets or anything bitcoin related that is not trusted by a huge community of capable people, so no, I will surely not support this ubuntu bundle although I might do one for myself and friends.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: