Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:19:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - newbie - paper backup basics?  (Read 2091 times)
candtalan (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 03:37:54 PM

Just started using armory (on top of satoshi), a single armory wallet containing one address from a received value from my satoshi wallet, and after confirmations, I made a paper backup. It all worked :-)
However, I subsequently transferred another additional address value (is this a correct description??) into the armory wallet, and when confirmed, I decided to again print out a paper backup.
I am mystified that the first paper backup of the armory wallet appears to be identical numbers as the second paper backup, because in the second situation, the wallet contents was different (increased). What have I missed here?
tia
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:00:05 PM

The paper backup contains no information about the # of bitcoin in each address. It only encodes information to recreate all current and future private keys and public addresses. Armory uses "deterministic wallets," meaning that any time you recreate your wallet from a paper backup it will generate the identical sequence of private keys and public addresses.

Any bitcoin you add to your wallet will appear in a wallet restored from a paper backup.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:45:43 PM

I made a sticky to talk about backups:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=152151.0

This is one of the main reasons people use Armory:  you only need to backup one time, ever.  Period.  All your addresses are generated from the data on that paper backup.  Every time you receive coins, it just gets the next address in the mathematical chain of addresses.

All addresses are seemingly-unrelated unless they have your wallet. 

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
candtalan (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:34:38 AM

Thanks for the responses.
Wow. Freaky stuff.
;-)

Does it follow then, that if I create another, new, armory wallet, alongside the first armory wallet, and transfer the contents of the first wallet into the second, (maybe even delete the empty first wallet) that only the backup of the second wallet is relevant, and the backup of the first wallet is of no security value to anyone?
tia
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 01:46:29 PM

Does it follow then, that if I create another, new, armory wallet, alongside the first armory wallet, and transfer the contents of the first wallet into the second, (maybe even delete the empty first wallet) that only the backup of the second wallet is relevant, and the backup of the first wallet is of no security value to anyone?
tia

When you say "transfer the contents", I assume you mean "send the coins" from one wallet to the other...?

In that case, yes.  If a wallet has no coins left, and you are not expecting anyone else to send any coins to any of the addresses in that wallet, then you can safely discard that wallet.   

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
candtalan (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 08:52:58 AM

When you say "transfer the contents", I assume you mean "send the coins" from one wallet to the other...?
In that case, yes.  If a wallet has no coins left, and you are not expecting anyone else to send any coins to any of the addresses in that wallet, then you can safely discard that wallet.   
Thanks!
shamntalk

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

BTC

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:15:54 PM

Does this backup include 'change' addresses?

Thank you!
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 05:18:01 PM

Does this backup include 'change' addresses?

Thank you!

All addresses you ever generate in your wallet are all derived from that root key and chaincode.  Change address is chosen by just picking the next unused address in the sequence.  For instance, if you have received Bitcoins to addresses 1-10, then you send a transaction it will use address 11 as the change address, then address 12 will be the next one to pop up when you click "Receive Bitcoins".

shamntalk

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

BTC

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:20:57 PM

Thank you very much etotheipi!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: