Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:04:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun Project: Studying on retro computer hardware - VIDEO  (Read 242 times)
jacobmayes94 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 12:23:02 AM

I am going to be attempting an experiment. I am going to be taking a laptop of 1994 vintage, and having set up Windows 95 and office 95, any college work that only requires research and not projects I am doing to attempt to do much of the research out of books (getting some from the internet if needed and manually typing in the reference) I am going to document this heavily and release it as a video on the study of yesteryear, accepting donations for the video when it is completed, it will be to show study before the internet became mainstream. A fun project! (office 95 and 97 files open just fine in modern versions of office, and turn it in also recognizes office 95 files)
Yes, i can transfer my work to my more modern machines with a USB floppy drive, windows 10 did recognize it would you believe!

System specs:
Processor: 486SX 66 MHz (with math co processor, for those who don't know it was used for floating point arethemetic, READ: Games such as quake or rendering of any kind, yes i am a 22 year old who understands what a math co processor is, my first laptop when young was given to me lacked this and i could not play quake and asked my uncle to obtain one, which he did) The 486DX included the math co processor, floating point math is predominantly done by GPUs these days but the CPU still needs the ability to do it with most apps!

RAM: 8MB
HDD: 320MB
VGA: 256 Colour STN display - 512k of video memory
Drives: floppy drive
Ports: Serial, Parallel, PCMCIA, PS/2 (no USB ports)

Fun fun fun.. The 386/486 processor instructions are still widely used today in applications like steam, x86, 32 bit. x64 is slowly replacing it but is still nowhere near there.
Obviously, i will have to do some editing of work on modern machines to insert images or for other project work such as web design and project management which requires a more modern machine, otherwise i wouldn't get it done! As i am doing written work on this thing as part of the experiment, same religious backup routine to my modern machines daily applies! You might see me with books in class when studying from them for this reason, as i am trying to replicate the lack of internet access for most students in the early 90s, only for those assignments where it can be done

This might be an interesting video to promote.

I will ask a small tip to view it but will release a trailer, this is to show in the modern world an attempt to study from the early 90s using early 90s computing hardware. I will document the installing of windows 95 even on floppy disks. To install office 97 i am going to borrow a PCMCIA CD drive unless someone has any version of office on floppy disks they would like to sell me for this purpose!

The laptop I will use is a canon BC 120 laptop with a built in printer. It is a vintage one. I am partially doing this to break my online forum addiction and partially to get back into my other hobbies a bit more! I may break out the dial up modem card and set up a dial up server on my home PC so i can use it for free from UK landlines with the bundle as I have two landlines installed at my house routing through my broadband.

This will be an interesting project...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: