Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:32:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to start?  (Read 1592 times)
TheBitMan (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 12:34:27 AM

What is mining and how to you get the coins into your account? What do you need to start I have a PC I don't use...
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fascistmuffin

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 01:20:35 AM

The first thing you need to ask yourself is if you want to invest a good amount of money and time. What a lot of people see with bitcoin mining is a get rich quick scheme, which I can tell you it is not. You'll need to invest in good hardware if you want to have a decent to good hashrate (higherhashrate = more coins), and you'll need to wait many days (45+ days) for your hardware to get you some coins, even on mining pools. Also, being good with computer hardware (as in maintenance, overclocking, and building computers) comes in very handy. If you want to invest your time and money, start looking at the how to get started topics all around the newbie and mining threads.

A fair warning, old PC's don't really mine well. Processor mining is overshadowed many times by GPU (graphics card using opencl) speed. If you want to be able to mine well, you'll need to invest in good graphic cards, like the ATI 5XXX and 6XXX serires (not mobile ones found in laptops).

I don't want to sound to deterring, but most newcomers asking these questions don't usually know what they're in for.
Zolwaski

Activity: 7

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 09:52:07 AM

The first thing you need to ask yourself is if you want to invest a good amount of money and time. What a lot of people see with bitcoin mining is a get rich quick scheme, which I can tell you it is not. You'll need to invest in good hardware if you want to have a decent to good hashrate (higherhashrate = more coins), and you'll need to wait many days (45+ days) for your hardware to get you some coins, even on mining pools. Also, being good with computer hardware (as in maintenance, overclocking, and building computers) comes in very handy. If you want to invest your time and money, start looking at the how to get started topics all around the newbie and mining threads.

A fair warning, old PC's don't really mine well. Processor mining is overshadowed many times by GPU (graphics card using opencl) speed. If you want to be able to mine well, you'll need to invest in good graphic cards, like the ATI 5XXX and 6XXX serires (not mobile ones found in laptops).

I don't want to sound to deterring, but most newcomers asking these questions don't usually know what they're in for.

hello. Im sorry if im of topic.. Im new in mining. Ive been looking at bitcoin for a while now. The difficulty to mine is high bacuse of the hash rate right? The problem is im running an old pc.. Therefore, i think i want to mine other coin such as monero because of the lower hash rate. Its a good idea?
nelsmining

Activity: 196
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 10:01:00 AM

hello. Im sorry if im of topic.. Im new in mining. Ive been looking at bitcoin for a while now. The difficulty to mine is high bacuse of the hash rate right? The problem is im running an old pc.. Therefore, i think i want to mine other coin such as monero because of the lower hash rate. Its a good idea?

Even to mine a coin such as monero you will need good graphics cards to see any profit. It will take time to learn and you will undoubtedly make a few mistakes but if you enjoy it and you keep learning it can be profitable. As with most things, do it because it interest you and the money will follow.
Zolwaski

Activity: 7

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 02:45:37 PM

Even to mine a coin such as monero you will need good graphics cards to see any profit. It will take time to learn and you will undoubtedly make a few mistakes but if you enjoy it and you keep learning it can be profitable. As with most things, do it because it interest you and the money will follow.

just did mistake few days ago. i burnt a mother board when i try oc..  Grin
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:43:08 PM

Unless that old PC of yours have at least 2 XEON processors or a good graphic card it cannot mine Monero to see any profit and even with those processors you can make only 8 Usd a month (personal testing with 2 XEON 5650 old processors).

However you can put your processor to good use if you have a good one, anything quad core will do. You can download Minergate and mine BCN(Bytecoin). This should give you about 3000 BCN in a month or 0.0021 btc in a month.

As you can see the amount is ridiculous so CPU mining is dead from long time.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 04:38:02 PM

What is mining and how to you get the coins into your account? What do you need to start I have a PC I don't use...

If you got an old PC you won't see much profit. Maybe 10$ a month max. Even rigs with R9 380s now are pretty bad. It's best if you can buy a deticated rig with 6 GPUs and mine with that. You will reach ROI fastest that way
darthmaul

Activity: 714
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 05:03:09 PM

Regarding your statement here:

The problem is im running an old pc.. Therefore, i think i want to mine other coin such as monero because of the lower hash rate. Its a good idea?

It's not about how old your PC is, rather it's about what kind of CPU and GPU do you have on it. Whether you have pentium processor (worst for mining) or whether you have next generation i7 processor. How many cores you gave on your CPU will determine the hash rate and ultimately your rate of earning.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆