Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:36:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USB sticks with Bitcoin logo, 16GB/32GB coming, your opinion needed!!  (Read 2185 times)
MXRider (OP)

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:13:41 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2013, 10:13:49 AM by MXRider

I think it was a cool idea to design USB sticks with a bitcoin logo. My first idea was to hand these to my friends and customers to make them aware of bitcoin. So far it has been a success. I'm not completely happy with the design but that will do for know. I might change the 'B' a little bit if I can first sell these. Logo is engraved with laser.

Warranty & backup disclaimer: These USB sticks are not made by me so I can not guarantee their quality. Never use these to store the only copy of your bitcoin wallet. I can provide a limited (you get a new empty USB stick) 6 month warranty. Making bitcoin wallet backups regularly and storing them safely is absolutely essential.

I'm asking 8.00€ for each and that includes shipping inside Europe. PM if interested

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcirl

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 06:03:48 PM

I would be interested in buying a few of these for myself / as gifts but at 8GB I think they're simply too small.

It would be great to be able to carry the bitcoin-qt client around on these with a fully updated blockchain and a small amount of BTC on them to hand out to friends and customers, giving full portability to the client and also encouraging new users to use Bitcoin and be able to utilise the main client from the get-go rather than waiting a number of days to catch up with the blockchain / having to download a client such as Multi-bit and go through the initial process of buying Bitcoin. These would be good to go right off the bat, and perfect for increasing usage of the bitcoin-qt client.

However, at 8GB and formatted as NTFS, they are already too small for the blockchain - 16GB would be ideal. If you ever decide to offer a larger size, I'll be the first to snap a few of them up! Smiley
Great idea all the same, and I do like the design!
MXRider (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 06:14:42 PM

I would be interested in buying a few of these for myself / as gifts but at 8GB I think they're simply too small.

It would be great to be able to carry the bitcoin-qt client around on these with a fully updated blockchain and a small amount of BTC on them to hand out to friends and customers, giving full portability to the client and also encouraging new users to use Bitcoin and be able to utilise the main client from the get-go rather than waiting a number of days to catch up with the blockchain / having to download a client such as Multi-bit and go through the initial process of buying Bitcoin. These would be good to go right off the bat, and perfect for increasing usage of the bitcoin-qt client.

However, at 8GB and formatted as NTFS, they are already too small for the blockchain - 16GB would be ideal. If you ever decide to offer a larger size, I'll be the first to snap a few of them up! Smiley
Great idea all the same, and I do like the design!

Great thinking, this idea has crossed my mind. I looked into 16GB and 32GB options but they were simply too expensive to be handed out as gifts. Now that the idea is out here, feel free to comment. I can produce another batch if more than 25 pieces are reserved/sold.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 06:19:27 PM

It should have been "You asked for change" rather than "You asked for a change".

"You asked for change" is meant to be a double entendre:  "change" referring to the remainder in a traditional fiat cash transaction, which is usually given in the form of coins, as well as "a change".  When you say "a change", the first meaning no longer applies.

Finally, I would never sell USB sticks with Bitcoin logo without a clear prominent disclaimer that there is no warranty on the sticks, that you didn't make the sticks yourself and have no control over the quality, that somebody else did, and they could fail any time and lose any data (including bitcoins) contained inside.  That they are not high enough quality to be the only copy of one's bitcoin wallet, and that users must always keep good backups of data they want to keep.  Otherwise you risk a liability if someone loses their coins on one that fails.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
MXRider (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 06:42:31 PM
Last edit: April 14, 2013, 06:17:31 PM by MXRider

It should have been "You asked for change" rather than "You asked for a change".

"You asked for change" is meant to be a double entendre:  "change" referring to the remainder in a traditional fiat cash transaction, which is usually given in the form of coins, as well as "a change".  When you say "a change", the first meaning no longer applies.

Finally, I would never sell USB sticks with Bitcoin logo without a clear prominent disclaimer that there is no warranty on the sticks, that you didn't make the sticks yourself and have no control over the quality, that somebody else did, and they could fail any time and lose any data (including bitcoins) contained inside.  That they are not high enough quality to be the only copy of one's bitcoin wallet, and that users must always keep good backups of data they want to keep.  Otherwise you risk a liability if someone loses their coins on one that fails.

Good point. I can offer a 6 month limited warranty although that does not eliminate the risk you described. I encourage everyone to make regular backups and store them safely. This statement will be added to the OP.

About the quotation, that will be fixed for the next version of 16GB sticks Wink I will lower the price because of that.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:26:37 AM

Cool!

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
zakoliverz

Activity: 536
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 08:04:36 AM

Do you have any 16GB USB sticks with Bitcoin logo  ?
MXRider (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 08:07:22 AM

Do you have any 16GB USB sticks with Bitcoin logo  ?

Unfortunately not, yet Wink It's clearly a better option so give me two weeks.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 06:10:23 PM

Your warranty should be clear that it's limited to replacement with a new stick, and that storing one's wallets elsewhere is absolutely essential, not just recommended.

Offering a 5 year warranty is overly generous to begin with, and taken seriously, actually detracts from your cred rather than adds to it.  Even 90 days or 1 year is more than plenty.  By offering a 5 year warranty you are creating a written obligation for yourself that, if someone decides to take seriously and 4.5 years from now can't get you to make good on, can rightfully label you as untrustworthy (look at Matthew N Wright, labeled "Untrustworthy" due to promises he undertook without proper foresight).  If you're an individual and it is plausible that you might not be in the business of USB sticks in four years (you probably won't be), a 5 year warranty sounds like overpromising, arouses suspicion, erodes trust.  Unless you are in a position where you are clearly able to make good on it (e.g. you're a huge corporation nobody doubts will disappear in 5 years), you are actually far better off not offering it.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
MXRider (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:28:17 PM

Warranty has been adjusted to 6 months. This is only a nice idea. I'm not planning to sell these forever.

Many people have been asking for a 16GB version instead of 8GB. I don't have them yet but I'm already tweaking the design so I should have them in two weeks. I might post two sample pictures and potential buyers can comment which one they prefer.
btcirl

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:37:34 PM

Warranty has been adjusted to 6 months. This is only a nice idea. I'm not planning to sell these forever.

Many people have been asking for a 16GB version instead of 8GB. I don't have them yet but I'm already tweaking the design so I should have them in two weeks. I might post two sample pictures and potential buyers can comment which one they prefer.

I'll have my BTC at the ready.  Smiley Seeing samples would be great!
MXRider (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:47:07 PM

16GB sticks are coming nicely (I changed the design a bit). I just found out that someone else is doing a similar project and even ordering from the same place Cheesy I need to get these off my hands ASAP so I lowered the price A LOT.

8€/piece and shipping is included.

btcirl

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:03:17 PM

I'll take two of the 8GB's off your hands for this price. PM me with payment instructions etc.  Smiley
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:33:55 PM

I will take 2. PM me an address to send payment.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
btcirl

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:03:07 PM

Payment sent; I look forward to adding these to my keyring! Smiley
MXRider (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:12:32 AM

Everything paid before 9am (UTC+3) has been shipped. Still have some left Wink

Judging by the other thread people are OK with pre-ordering so what do you guys think about that? I could upload two or three sketches next week and potential buyers could vote which is the best and what capacity it should be (16GB or 32GB).

16GB models are around 17€/piece and 32GB models 27€/piece. If you are outside EU that would be $17 and $27. I might get even better prices if I have over 40 pre-orders. Let me know what you think! I like this key shape a lot but it can a credit card or just a basic USB drive with a 'B' engraved on it. I was thinking about dropping the quotation from the other side.
fbassett

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:49:54 PM

Really like the key shape and I agree with dropping the quotation, I would be very interested in 2 x 16Gb when you get them.
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 04:57:05 AM

I want one... Can I get one shipped to Florida? How much would that cost?

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
MXRider (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:02:48 AM

I want one... Can I get one shipped to Florida? How much would that cost?

You can. I've actually shipped two to Florida already. These are so small that shipping is very cheap.
kcminer

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 12:02:41 AM

I want 3. Pm me.

Gift cards for LTC and DOGE at ltcasics.com!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: