Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:59:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "There can be only 21,000,000 bitcoins" is myth => How to secure the blockchain?  (Read 8864 times)
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 07:45:28 PM

And here I don't understand at all what you are talking about.

We need a plan to secure the blockchain. Miners won't do it when we switch to fees instead of subsidy, they'll just jump to other altcoin. That's what I'm talking about.

Then the difficulty will decrease, and other people will mine.   Problem solved.  Also, you seem very sure of what will happen.  It's not so obvious at all.  We'll see.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 07:47:00 PM

We need a plan to secure the blockchain. Miners won't do it when we switch to fees instead of subsidy, they'll just jump to other altcoin. That's what I'm talking about.

Then the difficulty will decrease, and other people will mine.   Problem solved.

Then the difficulty will decrease, and someone will attack Bitcoin.   Problem solved (no Bitcoin - no problem).
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 07:49:08 PM

Then the difficulty will decrease, and other people will mine.   Problem solved.

Then the difficulty will decrease, and someone will attack Bitcoin.   Problem solved (no Bitcoin - no problem).

Well, I doubt the difficulty will decrease that much as to make bitcoin being weak.  But that's a fair concern, I give you that.

The truth is that nobody really knows if the fee-model will be enough to replace the subsidy model.  But that's no big news.  That's part of the reason why bitcoin is still considered as an experiment, I guess.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 07:50:05 PM

Everyone, their mom, and their mom's watch do not all have to be Bticoin miners. Bitcoin only needs enough security to protect against attackers, and no more, to be "secure".

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 07:52:24 PM

Everyone, their mom, and their mom's watch do not all have to be Bticoin miners. Bitcoin only needs enough security to protect against attackers, and no more, to be "secure".

I need a solution. Stop feeding me with "relax, there is no problem".
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 07:54:19 PM

I need a solution.

Well, Satoshi gave us one (transaction fees), but you are not convinced it will work.  Or worse: you seem convinced it won't work.

That's fair enough, but we have nothing else to give you, I'm afraid.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 07:57:35 PM

Everyone who thinks that there will be not more than 21,000,000 bitcoins IS WRONG.

1. Fractional Reserve Banking. For example, MtGox, they do FRB. (I'm wrong? They don't do it? C'mon, even small kids know that MtGox loves FRB.)
2. Altcoins. Litecoin, Bytecoin, whatever. (I'm wrong? These are other currencies? C'mon, it's Bitcoin with other names, look at their source code.)

What do these 2 points mean?

Bitcoin is not deflationary  =>  One BTC will never be $1,000,000  =>  When the block reward becomes too low, miners will switch to other currency, because fees won't cover burnt electricity

So, how are we going to secure the blockchain in the future?
Bitcoin does not need to be $1,000,000 to cover electricity.  Right now mining with GPU's most peoples electricity is only 25% of cost.  Far less for people with ASIC and FPGA.  Enough mining for security would happen with a block reward of 6 right now.  As the value of BTC rises this number will drop.  

SATOSHI GOT IT RIGHT.

And now imagine that EVERYONE has an ASIC. How much coins will u get? I'm not sure it will be enough to cover the electricity.

Right.  When I no longer make profit I shut down or upgrade.  Free market.  More efficient miners provide the security. 

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 07:58:33 PM

I need a solution.

Well, Satoshi gave us one (transaction fees), but you are not convinced it will work.  Or worse: you seem convinced it won't work.

I have a solution. We should attack the other altcoins. And keep attacking if any new alt pops up. Not sure most of bitcoiners will support this though.

EDIT: After we sort out altcoins we should switch to https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108411.0
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 08:02:01 PM

I need a solution.

Well, Satoshi gave us one (transaction fees), but you are not convinced it will work.  Or worse: you seem convinced it won't work.

I have a solution. We should attack the other altcoins. And keep attacking if any new alt pops up. Not sure most of bitcoiners will support this though.

You're getting excited about nothing.  The "problem" you mention won't occur (if it does) until a few decades, and yet you want to "attack" honest monetary competition *now*.   Chill out.

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 08:04:16 PM

You're getting excited about nothing.  The "problem" you mention won't occur until a few decades, and you want to "attack" honest monetary competition.   Chill out.

Let me explain. We are strong when we united. Altcoins separate us. I propose attacks on altcoins not coz I'm a bad guy. If I were the state I would launch a lot of altcoins and promote them.
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 08:06:54 PM

Let me explain. We are strong when we united. Altcoins separate us.

They don't.  They merely give people choice.  I stick to bitcoin but if someone wants to switch to an altcoin who am I to think this is wrong?

You're being Procrustean.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 08:13:32 PM

You're getting excited about nothing.  The "problem" you mention won't occur until a few decades, and you want to "attack" honest monetary competition.   Chill out.

Let me explain. We are strong when we united. Altcoins separate us. I propose attacks on altcoins not coz I'm a bad guy. If I were the state I would launch a lot of altcoins and promote them.

No.  It seems like you know what is best for not only yourself but for others.  In this case you are wrong.

I will let the free market decide what is best in the coinspace.  So far it has been working quite well. 

Don't think bitcoin security is good enough?  Don't use it or help make it better in an honest fashion.

huggybear

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 10:04:08 PM

Are you serious about that?
take a cup herbal tea
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 10:18:06 PM

They will jump to another altcoin if

value ( Fees_altcoin + Reward_altcoin ) > value ( Fees_bitcoin + Reward_bitcoin )

at what block do you expect

value (Fees_bitcoin) > value (Reward_bitcoin) ? 

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 11:10:54 PM

They will jump to another altcoin if

value ( Fees_altcoin + Reward_altcoin ) > value ( Fees_bitcoin + Reward_bitcoin )

at what block do you expect

value (Fees_bitcoin) > value (Reward_bitcoin) ? 

No idea. Somewhere in foreseeble future.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 11:21:20 PM

Everyone who thinks that there will be not more than 21,000,000 bitcoins IS WRONG.

1. Fractional Reserve Banking. For example, MtGox, they do FRB. (I'm wrong? They don't do it? C'mon, even small kids know that MtGox loves FRB.)

frb might be achieved with btc in conjunction with ripple, but not withou tripple.

I bet if all MtGox user withdrew their coins MtGox' balance would become negative.
hammz

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 11:36:44 PM

If coins that are lost disappear forever, how long will it take before the vast majority of the 21 million simply disappear into a huge file of bits and bytes that can't be accessed?

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 11:39:55 PM

It would be trivial for MtGox to prove that they were not fractional-reserve, and as a community we should demand it from all bank like services. (Unless they explicitly claim to be fractional reserve).   Lets be clear though, right now you're accusing MTGOX of being thieves and liars— substantial claims require substantial evidence.

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 11:43:25 PM

u think, gox is a ponzi?

[1] Wait for a lot of bid orders
[2] Sell phantom bitcoins
[3] Press [Lag] button
[4] Wait for a lot of ask orders at lower price
[5] Buy phantom bitcoins back
[6] Go to #1
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 11:45:23 PM

It would be trivial for MtGox to prove that they were not fractional-reserve, and as a community we should demand it from all bank like services. (Unless they explicitly claim to be fractional reserve).   Lets be clear though, right now you're accusing MTGOX of being thieves and liars— substantial claims require substantial evidence.

No accusations in theft. But I'm sure they are liars.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: