Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:17:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why isn't there Two Factor Authentication on Wallets?  (Read 832 times)
nemesisDF (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 11:09:03 PM

So long story short, I'm a super noob, but recently started mining and think there's a lot of potential in holding some of these alt coins for the long term.

Was just curious though, why isn't there two-factor authentication on any wallets? I get that there's passphrases and wallet encryption, but I haven't seen a wallet or platform that provided 2 factor with either Google or Authy.

Is that even possible?

/Hugs
Nem

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CryptoSporidium

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 12:15:27 AM

So long story short, I'm a super noob, but recently started mining and think there's a lot of potential in holding some of these alt coins for the long term.

Was just curious though, why isn't there two-factor authentication on any wallets? I get that there's passphrases and wallet encryption, but I haven't seen a wallet or platform that provided 2 factor with either Google or Authy.

Is that even possible?

/Hugs
Nem

vTorrent has 2fa
n691309
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 12:26:03 AM

Is that even possible?

/Hugs
Nem

Don't put all coins in the same basked, ICONOMI uses 2FA too, but It isn't a fully functional wallet as you can not receive coins. Maybe the developers of coins are lazy to implement 2FA which I consider the most important part of the security on the client side.
nemesisDF (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 12:27:43 AM

Is that even possible?

/Hugs
Nem

vTorrent has 2fa

Thanks so much, that's really good to know!
Sourgummies

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 12:27:50 AM

Is that even possible?

/Hugs
Nem

vTorrent has 2fa

vtr has it but its closed source. Have fun downloading closed source shit in the crypto world.
the artful bodger

Activity: 292
Merit: 265

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 12:32:10 AM

Some altcoins like litecoin have electrum wallets that provide optional 2FA.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2017, 12:35:59 AM

Use a hardware wallet like Trezor or Ledger Nano S and you can also use the hardware wallet for U2F login to sites that support it.

bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 05:16:57 AM

2FA is closed source and and even if it was open source well then it wouldn't work at all for standalone wallets. It doesn't work in a decentralized manner.

Not your keys, not your coins!
kiklo
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 05:29:44 AM

Is that even possible?

/Hugs
Nem

Installing 2FA on a personal local wallet is not bright.
Most people's phone number are public info or at least very easy to find.

It gives Google or your Phone provider the ability to block your ability to transfer your coins out of your own wallet.
Bad idea, if you feel this is needed just use a bank instead because you are giving control of your money to a corporation.  Tongue

Cool
nemesisDF (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 06:44:42 AM

Is that even possible?

/Hugs
Nem

It gives Google or your Phone provider the ability to block your ability to transfer your coins out of your own wallet.
Bad idea, if you feel this is needed just use a bank instead because you are giving control of your money to a corporation.  Tongue

Cool

Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for the info. Smiley
nemesisDF (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 06:52:21 AM

2FA is closed source and and even if it was open source well then it wouldn't work at all for standalone wallets. It doesn't work in a decentralized manner.

Didn't know it was closed source, that makes sense. Thanks for the info bath!
memequiserle

Activity: 616
Merit: 501

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 07:09:24 AM

only few altcoin wallet in support two factor authentication
majority altcoin wallet not support

but is big and popular coin i think can support 2FA

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 07:52:33 AM

Is that even possible?

/Hugs
Nem

Cool

Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for the info. Smiley

Google should not have anything to see about your transactions as they do not influence the code generation in the authenticator app at all.

It is fixed when you set it up and then rotates through a list of numbers. This list is the same as when you use similar 2fa apps from different companies and once you set it up it will keep working.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 07:57:24 AM

Interesting.. i don't know.. licensing ?

I did think of the Steam platform from Valve inc. though (they use it)

FUD first & ask questions later™
DingDong87

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 07:59:48 AM

there's a lot of potential in holding some of these alt coins for the long term.

The whales feel the force is strong within you, the bagholding force I do feel there should be 2fa on even shitcoin wallets....
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 01:11:30 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2017, 01:25:36 PM by Spoetnik

there's a lot of potential in holding some of these alt coins for the long term.

The whales feel the force is strong within you, the bagholding force I do feel there should be 2fa on even shitcoin wallets....

Or better yet RPC ports closed by default.
Many a coin over the years has been hacked..
Wallet gets released by dev.. dev claims innocent "error"
Then RPC code is left enabled and on with default password created by dev.
Then..
Mysterious "hacker" simply harvests all the IP's from the block-chain connections.
Then he simply tries connecting to each wallet with the default name / pass.
Bingo.. million stolen.. and dumped.
Dev claims whooopsy i made a boo boo and puts an update out.
Hacker is long gone and never found.

Seen it happen and it's an old "error"

Same with the old POS error.
Launch coin with no ANN etc hand out wallet / miners to friends then "don't notice"
..until long after you harvested super high *accidental* high stake rewards.
THEN.. release an update closing the "bug" so others can not partake in the greedy antics.
I call it the "CENT/Pennies" bug by mass coin cloner Shakezulu.

Yup the guy who made cloning guides around the scene "for fun & profit"
And the guy who put a virus / keylogger / trojan on his official wallet hosted on his own official coin site.
Yup same guy who made the coin CAPS for Mullick..

who was in charge of the wallets at Cryptsy when they got "Hacked"

And you guys wonder why i post FUD ? Really ?
Trust me you have no fuckin' clue how corrupt this shit is you little noobs here.
All those scammy cock-suckers are STILL here shootin' their mouth off and making "coins"

I recall when the guy Magnet who posted "Bitcoin Scrypt" here yet had nothing to do with the launch etc (he said)
(Which had no other ANN here like StartCoin)
Was infected by a wallet posted in a new coin ANN topic here.
He ran back here and told us all he and others had been hit with.. a keylogger / trojan
all his other wallets were cleared out and emptied.

Never mind the FUD your "legit" coins are needing some shill work profiteers..
get on it those bags are heavy !

Guys in jail for all the millions and millions in coins stolen ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2017, 01:33:02 PM

2FA on vTorrent was developed by VTR and FAILCoin developers. I can guarantee it is safe, because both are good guys. You can tell by VTR dev actions (no promises, hype etc.) and I'm working with FAIL dev for over 2 years now.

P.S. I once had like 320k VTR, but was forced to sell them too early.

Munti

Activity: 661
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 01:40:25 PM

BitBay uses two keys in it 's client
To add even more to security you can use the joint account feature. Then you could set it up so you have to sign a transaction from two seperate computers
Karpeles
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 01:44:37 PM

because you would have to use a 3rd part service, I don't know how easy is to implement this and if you would have to pay a fee or something, so most wallets just don't use it to keep things simpler
Carmen_Sandiego

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 02:23:43 PM

I've seen some wallets that bring this possibility, but I think it's not easy for most cryptos... there are certainly technical obstacles, and this also brings additional costs to the developers. In addition, the wallets with two-factor authentication that I've used so far required a fee to enable this option.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: