Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:04:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Conversion Website  (Read 2604 times)
Beastty (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 07:41:36 PM

Hi All, this is my first post here on the forums and I read the policy stickied to the top, So I hope I'm not breaking any rules.

I recently started a freelance career and I didn't have to many portfolio pieces so, I decided to make a website but I had nothing to make. So then I decided to make a bitcoin converter site. I wanted to spread it around Reddit and here so maybe I could get some good ideas, or constructive criticism on it. I plan to add more currencies within the coming days, but I wanted to get it's name out there first. Let me know what you think!

BTCFlux: http://btcflux.com
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 07:55:48 PM

if you want to add something unique.. here is something.

look into the cost of living index. or other sites that work out the average price of goods/food/ living costs. and make it so you also show the cost of, for instance:
the cost of bread index.

where 1btc= xxx loaves of bread.

after all bitcoins ethos is meant to be about the separation of fiat.. so by you piloting the cost of living measures, you could help spark peoples minds into seeing the bigger picture of what bitcoin is all about

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:09:02 PM

So like, maybe look to add a aspect where it would say like:

"0.xxx bitcoins can get you a new microwave... etc"

I was also thinking about adding a chatbox to the side, for a more community sensed area.
What do you think?

chatrooms end up being called 'troll boxes' which could de-rate your site as just a crackpot site mainly and a price comparison minerly..
so concentrate on the price comparison part, if thats the niche you want.

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Beastty (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:18:24 PM

So like, maybe look to add a aspect where it would say like:

"0.xxx bitcoins can get you a new microwave... etc"

I was also thinking about adding a chatbox to the side, for a more community sensed area.
What do you think?

chatrooms end up being called 'troll boxes' which could de-rate your site as just a crackpot site mainly and a price comparison minerly..
so concentrate on the price comparison part, if thats the niche you want.

Thats also true, I appreciate your input!
st0nefish

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:25:01 PM

It's nice to have you coded such a site. But instead of pulling the price of bitcoin from one place, you can reflect the average value of all the stock market sites. Users will see a general average of the market.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:26:41 PM

id say have a few items.
like a couple standard food items internationally recognised that dont fluctuate in price much.

a couple electronic items.. eg iphone is more popular than your microwave idea..

maybe car fuel or even when bitcoin creeps up in price.. a car itself

digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:33:19 PM

You know every country has different rates, are you going to include different currencies as well? I only see 3 currencies and if you could change the color of BTC to be more visible and when I entered 0.01 after a few seconds it showed me something like this 0.01000743. but it's useful overall.
I used cex.io calculator(converter) before but after seeing some security warnings relating a red https I stopped going there.
If you try to advertise my opinion people will stop using the service, but for now it loaded fast and smooth.

Also get rid of the matrix background.

🖤😏
Beastty (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:44:36 PM

You know every country has different rates, are you going to include different currencies as well? I only see 3 currencies and if you could change the color of BTC to be more visible and when I entered 0.01 after a few seconds it showed me something like this 0.01000743. but it's useful overall.
I used cex.io calculator(converter) before but after seeing some security warnings relating a red https I stopped going there.
If you try to advertise my opinion people will stop using the service, but for now it loaded fast and smooth.

Also get rid of the matrix background.

I'll be adding more currencies very soon!

"If you try to advertise my opinion people will stop using the service, but for now it loaded fast and smooth." - This line really confused me...

and but its live bitcoin transactions! It was the backbone of my idea!
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2017, 08:59:57 PM

id say have a few items.
like a couple standard food items internationally recognised that dont fluctuate in price much.

a couple electronic items.. eg iphone is more popular than your microwave idea..

I'm surprised that you haven't mentioned Big Macs for price comparision (Big Mac Index -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index).

The site itself looks pretty good, although I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have that moving background.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 09:08:53 PM

id say have a few items.

I'm surprised that you haven't mentioned Big Macs for price comparision (Big Mac Index -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index).

yep thats another option. like i said a few food items that are internationally recognised and a few electrical items try to get away from just being just a bitcoin<->fiat site. as thats not really highlighting bitcoins separation from fiat

eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2017, 09:19:03 PM

id say have a few items.

yep thats another option. like i said a few food items that are internationally recognised and a few electrical items try to get away from just being just a bitcoin<->fiat site. as thats not really highlighting bitcoins separation from fiat
Yeah, I wasn't discrediting your idea (it's pretty good imo), just adding that Big Macs are a common good to do price comparisons with Smiley Now, it would be better if Big Macs could actually be purchased with Bitcoin ofc.

Aside from that, in your previous post, you mentioned that troll boxes could de-rate the website in question. How so?
By having a troll box, your website doesn't automatically become a 'crackpot website', since the website itself isn't affiliated with anything said in the troll box.
Poloniex has one, wouldn't call them a crackpot website.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 09:43:59 PM

Yeah, I wasn't discrediting your idea (it's pretty good imo), just adding that Big Macs are a common good to do price comparisons with Smiley Now, it would be better if Big Macs could actually be purchased with Bitcoin ofc.

Aside from that, in your previous post, you mentioned that troll boxes could de-rate the website in question. How so?
By having a troll box, your website doesn't automatically become a 'crackpot website', since the website itself isn't affiliated with anything said in the troll box.
[/quote]

but poloniex is not really top of the list of exchanges.. even with hundreds of different currencies.. its not as popular/professional as some of the others that actually have less trading features, but dont have a troll box.

for instance btc-e didnt really get 'profesional' many people treated it as the joke site compared to mtgox bitstamp back in 2012-2013
yea it was popular. but for the wrong reasons.

so although the OP could add a troll box, it may make people sign up to chat on it. and be 'popular' people will think of the site as being
a chatroom with a price ticker. rather than
a price comparison site with a chatroom

it all depends on what path the OP wants to take the site. and the goals he wants to achieve

Beastty (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2017, 12:06:34 AM

but poloniex is not really top of the list of exchanges.. even with hundreds of different currencies.. its not as popular/professional as some of the others that actually have less trading features, but dont have a troll box.

for instance btc-e didnt really get 'profesional' many people treated it as the joke site compared to mtgox bitstamp back in 2012-2013
yea it was popular. but for the wrong reasons.

so although the OP could add a troll box, it may make people sign up to chat on it. and be 'popular' people will think of the site as being
a chatroom with a price ticker. rather than
a price comparison site with a chatroom

it all depends on what path the OP wants to take the site. and the goals he wants to achieve

[/quote]

I'll have to think deeply about the chatbox. Maybe I think of a way to legitamize the people there, as in so no one can just talk they have to do something or go through something first. Or even put it through a trial run to see if people would like it or not...

I'm still going through and fixing things people find wrong, I'm gonna put a shoutout to thank the people for helping me find issues and come up with ideas.

As for the moving background of current transactions- I was thinking about making a toggle switch on the top bar that can turn it on and off and so when you come back to revisit the site it'll save your preference.

this is @all of the people who replied to my thread^ Thanks for helping me out
Beastty (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2017, 12:54:12 AM

I have updated the site with various fixes and patched glitches others have found for me. I will continue to implement newer features and currencies, I appreciate all the help guys. ( if you dont see a difference try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + R) If you have any more suggestions let me know!
neochiny

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

Crypto.games

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2017, 02:48:10 AM

Good site. But yeah, I find the moving background kind of distracting.  Grin

Please add Php currency. You could pull the rate for btc <> php from coins.ph since it's the most widely used
in the Philippines and it's the most convenient to use for conversion to our fiat. Thanks.

████  ███████  ███
██████████
███      ███████
███      ███████████
██████████████████
████████
███   ████  ███████████
███ ███████████████
█████████
█████████████████
███  ███████
██████████████
███        ████████
███████████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████▀▀     ███     ▀▀██████
████▀   ▄▄█████████▄▄   ▀████
████▄▄▄███▀  ▀█▀  ▀███▄▄▄████
██▀▀▀██▀      ▀      ▀██▀▀▀██
█▀  ▄██               ██▄  ▀█
█   ████▄▄         ▄▄████   █
█▄  ▀██▀             ▀██▀  ▄█
██▄▄▄██▄             ▄██▄▄▄██
████▀▀▀███▄ ▄█ █▄ ▄███▀▀▀████
████▄   ▀▀███▄█████▀▀   ▄████
███████▄     ███     ▄███████
███████████▄▄███▄▄███████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
..PLAY NOW..
███  ███████  ████
██████████
███████      ███
███████████      ███
██████████████████
████████
███████████  ████   ███
███████████████ ███
█████████
█████████████████
███████  ███
██████████████
████████        ███
Beastty (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2017, 03:24:57 AM

Please add Php currency. You could pull the rate for btc <> php from coins.ph since it's the most widely used
in the Philippines and it's the most convenient to use for conversion to our fiat. Thanks.

Gonna implement a toggle for the transactions & I'll add PHP right now... I'm working on automating this currency thing so I can pull them all at once, but since you requested, I'll do it now.
Beastty (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2017, 03:44:34 AM

PHP is up now
neochiny

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

Crypto.games

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2017, 04:54:49 AM

PHP is up now
It's not?
I checked again but all I see are still the same 3 buttons for USD, EUR, CNY. Or am I missing something? Sorry.
But thanks for considering to add it. I'll have your site bookmarked. 

Also, I don't know what happened but I can't see the conversion rate for USD, EUR, and CNY. And when I click on the EUR button, I get a message. "btcflux says: 1" Then I'd have to click on the 'ok' button to get rid of that window.
http://imgur.com/1VdquDq

████  ███████  ███
██████████
███      ███████
███      ███████████
██████████████████
████████
███   ████  ███████████
███ ███████████████
█████████
█████████████████
███  ███████
██████████████
███        ████████
███████████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████▀▀     ███     ▀▀██████
████▀   ▄▄█████████▄▄   ▀████
████▄▄▄███▀  ▀█▀  ▀███▄▄▄████
██▀▀▀██▀      ▀      ▀██▀▀▀██
█▀  ▄██               ██▄  ▀█
█   ████▄▄         ▄▄████   █
█▄  ▀██▀             ▀██▀  ▄█
██▄▄▄██▄             ▄██▄▄▄██
████▀▀▀███▄ ▄█ █▄ ▄███▀▀▀████
████▄   ▀▀███▄█████▀▀   ▄████
███████▄     ███     ▄███████
███████████▄▄███▄▄███████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
..PLAY NOW..
███  ███████  ████
██████████
███████      ███
███████████      ███
██████████████████
████████
███████████  ████   ███
███████████████ ███
█████████
█████████████████
███████  ███
██████████████
████████        ███
Beastty (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2017, 04:56:02 AM

PHP is up now
It's not?
I checked again but all I see are still the same 3 buttons for USD, EUR, CNY. Or am I missing something? Sorry.
But thanks for considering to add it. I'll have your site bookmarked. 

Also, I don't know what happened but I can't see the conversion rate for USD, EUR, and CNY. And when I click on the EUR button, I get a message. "btcflux says: 1" Then I'd have to click on the 'ok' button to get rid of that window.
http://imgur.com/1VdquDq

It should be up and ready now.. When I posted the PHP one, the code just broke. And I'm pretty sure I didn't touch it and I had to play around with it for a bit, I'm sorry about that. I panicked a little and didn't want people to see it broken but its fixed now lol
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 21, 2017, 05:03:06 AM

if you want to add something unique.. here is something.

look into the cost of living index. or other sites that work out the average price of goods/food/ living costs. and make it so you also show the cost of, for instance:
the cost of bread index.

where 1btc= xxx loaves of bread.

after all bitcoins ethos is meant to be about the separation of fiat.. so by you piloting the cost of living measures, you could help spark peoples minds into seeing the bigger picture of what bitcoin is all about
This would actually be something I'd be interested in using and seeing how effective it is.

Getting some input as to the purchasing power of Bitcoin throughout the world, and comparing it against the cost of living, would be a site i would look at a lot to be honest, as numbers like that interest me for the most part.

If something like this is ever made I'd like to know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: