Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:22:01 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoin Core Wallet - Uninstall  (Read 1016 times)
pratik91 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 11:36:55 AM

Hello All,

I have received bitcoin on 2013 in my Bitcoin Core Wallet and in between from 2013 till today I have formatted my system.
I have reinstalled the windows and Bitcoin Core Wallet but I didn't found my bitcoin balance in newly installed Bitcoin Core Wallet (I have synced it till date) but still there is no balance in my Wallet Sad

As per my knowledge, The private key, which is what gives you access to my Bitcoin, is kept in wallet.dat. If the addresses that I have in my new wallet.dat are different then it will not showing my balance.

Is there any way that I can get my Bitcoin to my Bitcoin Core Wallet?

I really appreciate your quick help!

Thanks
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2017, 01:03:48 PM

Hello All,

I have received bitcoin on 2013 in my Bitcoin Core Wallet and in between from 2013 till today I have formatted my system.
I have reinstalled the windows and Bitcoin Core Wallet but I didn't found my bitcoin balance in newly installed Bitcoin Core Wallet (I have synced it till date) but still there is no balance in my Wallet Sad

As per my knowledge, The private key, which is what gives you access to my Bitcoin, is kept in wallet.dat.

That is correct.

If the addresses that I have in my new wallet.dat are different then it will not showing my balance.

Is there any way that I can get my Bitcoin to my Bitcoin Core Wallet?

Yes, close bitcoin core.
Open its data folder (e.g. on Windows its in %APPDATA%\Bitcoin ).
Rename the existing wallet.dat to wallet.dat.new (or similar).
Copy your backup wallet.dat into the folder and rename it to wallet.dat (if needed).

I really appreciate your quick help!

Thanks

If you dont have a backup, you might want to read up on this thread -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1728263.0
and stop using your disk right now.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2017, 02:50:53 AM

Sounds like you never backed up your wallet.dat
If you reformat your computer without saving your wallet somewhere else, you can't expect your new Bitcoin Core to magically find your old private keys (or wallet).

Every new install generates a new wallet.
pratik91 (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 10:06:26 AM

Hi,

Is there any way that I can get my previous wallet private key?

Thanks
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 11:22:33 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2017, 12:08:24 PM by cr1776

Hi,

Is there any way that I can get my previous wallet private key?

Thanks

Yes, restore a backup of your wallet and export it.

If you don't have a backup and can't get recover it from your hard drive (e.g. by scanning the drive etc), then no one here can recover it.

If you just recently formatted your drive shorena's advice should be followed.
pratik91 (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 02:03:23 AM

Hello All,

Thanks for your quick reply.
As I don't have old wallet.dat let me try to recover that using some recover tool.

If there is any other way to get old private key (without old wallet.dat), please let me know.

Thanks
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2017, 02:31:06 AM

Hello All,

Thanks for your quick reply.
As I don't have old wallet.dat let me try to recover that using some recover tool.

If there is any other way to get old private key (without old wallet.dat), please let me know.

Thanks
You can attempt to recover it from the hard drive by doing hard drive recovery. This is likely to fail given that you have formatted the drive and subsequently used it. There is no other way to retrieve the private keys because they are generated randomly. Your Bitcoin is lost.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: