Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:34:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Master guide  (Read 1263 times)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
February 06, 2017, 09:03:00 PM

This is misleading:
"About 0.5% to 2% of blocks in one day will get orphaned."

Since this is a disussion about transactions, it seems to imply that 0.5% to 2% of transactions per day that are confirmed will become unconfirmed.

agreeing with danny that ultimately there is a 0.5%-2% BLOCKS get orphans.
but to clarify
so those tx's in that block do return to being unconfirmed which is a temporary issue because sooner or later they are added to a new accepted block.

however there is a
as said in previous post (on a good no drama day) in 0.004% or 0.25% chance of the tx not being added to the next block for either malicious reason or unintentionally struck off by how the network works.
example of where transactions are not added to the next block could be causes such as
Different peers can have different transactions in their memory pool.
plus other factors

so the ultimate worry(in regards to transactions) is alot less than 2% and far less than 0.5%(these numbers are about blocks, not tx's). and more so in the 0.004% risk area.  not ever getting confirmed.

"at least 12 blocks for high-value transactions"
Twelve confirmations?!  That's ridiculous. I'd trust a $10 million transactions with someone I didn't trust at all with only 5 ro 6 confirmations.

also agreeing with danny..
in a normal no drama day (no new soft/hard fork event activation or high orphan rate)
6 is usually the maximum.

the only possibly time to think about waiting 2 hours (12 blocks+) would be when something controversial (high orphan count) is occuring, which is usually only a once every couple year event, so it should not be wrote as if its a normal expectation.. to think about daily...
 but maybe wrote as a sidenote to people to expand the confirms they usually wait for if the blockchain is in the middle of a hard/soft feature upgrade that appears to be controversial on the activation day

kind of like saying..
you dont need to boil your water every to want a drink, but if you have precious children you could wait for the water to boil if you worry about their health. but maybe when there are some water pipes being replaced in the water network every couple years, then get more concerned about doubling your efforts

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Who_

Activity: 217
Merit: 107

Journalist/Copywriter https://t.me/ZoranSpirkovski

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2017, 05:28:12 PM

Hey DannyHamilton and Franky1,

Nice to see you guys participating in the creation of this guide. It would be really hard to create something accurate without the help of veterans such as yourself. Once again, I would like to thank you for your time and effort to generate these responses. I will analyze what you've told me and recreate the article to better explain, and not mislead readers.

Just want to get it out there, as you can see I'm not an old member of this community, so I'm relying on you to be as active and brutally honest as you are. I have to admit feeling frustrated at how much I've gotten wrong, but that's the fun in the creation process. Smiley

With your help, I am learning a lot of details about Bitcoin and eventually, many other people will.

I will post once more a little bit later, once I've updated the article to eliminate misleading sentences and information.

Zoran Spirkovski is a freelance journalist, brand strategist, and author published by CryptoBriefing, BeInCrypto, CryptoNewsNet, and NewsBlockchain. He writes about blockchain technology, cryptocurrency, branding, marketing, and productivity and other stories that brew up in his mind. He writes a daily blog about the same topics at zoransp.medium.com and he regularly contributes to freelance discussion groups.
Who_

Activity: 217
Merit: 107

Journalist/Copywriter https://t.me/ZoranSpirkovski

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2017, 06:11:40 PM

Hey guys,

I've updated the article after following through.

I'm sticking with the "Bitcoin Limbo" expression, as I feel that it completely captures the transactions that seem to struggle to get confirmed by the network (for whatever reason)

I've paid attention to the various details you mentioned especially for the misleading sentences and I think I've eradicated most of the misleading data. Have a look at it and let me know if I've missed something! Cheesy

The link is the same: https://www.crypto-news.net/transactions/

Zoran Spirkovski is a freelance journalist, brand strategist, and author published by CryptoBriefing, BeInCrypto, CryptoNewsNet, and NewsBlockchain. He writes about blockchain technology, cryptocurrency, branding, marketing, and productivity and other stories that brew up in his mind. He writes a daily blog about the same topics at zoransp.medium.com and he regularly contributes to freelance discussion groups.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: