Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:04:48 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to deal with haters in positions of authority?  (Read 2455 times)
dave111223 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 04:30:13 AM

I have noticed that on some general message boards that I am a long time member, there have recently been a lot of bitcoin threads popping up.

On certain boards the topics are immediately crushed/deleted/warnings handed out just for mentioning what they claim is a "pyramid scheme"...I'm actual quite surprised by this huge amount of inexplicable aggression towards bitcoin by some people.

And there is no reasoning with them, they throw out total incorrect facts, or outdated articles and when you show them that this information is incorrect they basically  stick their fingers in their ears and then warn you again.

I just don't understand where is all this hate coming from (and i was encountering this long before the recent $250 price spike/crash, so it's not just coming from people burned at $250)

It's a shame because their ignorance is costing other people from learning useful information.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 04:37:48 AM

Will if it is a board admin doing it there's always a chance that they might on an Avalon or a huge GPU farm. Letting the BTC cat out of the bag just means less income for them in the short interim.

Either that or they're a dumbass.  Sorry for the use of complicated medical terms  Cheesy
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 05:07:33 AM

Welcome to the world of internet forums Smiley .  There's not much you can do about it if a admin doesn't like something or disagrees with you.  If they don't like bitcoin or they think it's a pyramid scheme,  oh well,  that's their problem.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 05:21:59 AM

Ive found that some people are politically against Bitcoin and therefore think its ok to say whatever they can to stop it.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 05:25:41 AM

Discussion of it is forever banned on overclock.net.  Not exactly sure of the logic behind it.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 05:27:41 AM

Ive found that some people are politically against Bitcoin and therefore think its ok to say whatever they can to stop it.

More reason to stop associating Bitcoin with any particular political agenda. "Bitcoin will rip down banks and governments!"  Roll Eyes

You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

"Bitcoin won't screw you over like Paypal does."

It will screw you over by losing 70% of it's value in 6 hours because MtGox gets DDoSed  Cheesy

dave111223 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 05:33:56 AM

More reason to stop associating Bitcoin with any particular political agenda. "Bitcoin will rip down banks and governments!"  Roll Eyes

You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

"Bitcoin won't screw you over like Paypal does."

It will screw you over by losing 70% of it's value in 6 hours because MtGox gets DDoSed  Cheesy

Personally I don't promote it in conjunction with any political agenda.

For example you'll get someone open a bitcoin topic like "What are bitcoins" or "Should i get some bitcoins".

Then you'll get a few people posting the typical "tulips" and "beanie babies" and "no one even knows where they came from", "You'll get hacked!" comments...all of which are allowed to stand.

I'll then refute these with facts about the opensource nature of bitcoin etc.. and how they mined...etc..how to protect your wallet...etc..result: Topic deleted, and "Warned" for promoting a pyramid scheme.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:04:22 AM

On certain boards the topics are immediately crushed/deleted/warnings handed out just for mentioning what they claim is a "pyramid scheme"...I'm actual quite surprised by this huge amount of inexplicable aggression towards bitcoin by some people.

There are very many pyramid schemes, MLM-schemes and so on floating around. When I first heard about bitcoin, I too thought it might be something like that, but I gave it a chance and studied it for a week, which proved to me it wasn't a scam, but a beautiful thing that could change the world. And I knew it could become really big - so from that point in time I've been a part of the community.

It is not certain it will change the world, but it is an experiment, and it is nice to be a part of it, and following it.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:06:19 AM

"Bitcoin is a pyramid scheme!"

Surprise!  Except in this case, there's no single head raking in all the cash.

Impaler

Activity: 826
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:29:34 AM

It's a common misconception that only the originator of a pyramid scheme profits.  It is very common for several in not most of the levels to do so.  The defining quality is that the bottom most, last to get on board lose and their loses are what those earlier in the scheme pocket.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:40:17 AM

Discussion of it is forever banned on overclock.net.  Not exactly sure of the logic behind it.
Probably their way of thinking is that they are protecting their members from doing stupid things like buying BTCs with their parent's life savings or taking part in scams. Though granted, censorship is a pretty stupid solution for that. That said, many freedom loving people change into rabid censorship advocates as soon as there's (for example) kids involved.

Their attitude may change once/when bitcoin becomes more well-known and is mentioned in fleeting conversation as a payment scheme instead of pump/dump-ish hype topics Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:44:41 AM

Go on a gold trading website like Kitco and look in the forums for bitcoin. You'd think these tinfoil hat gold standard guys would be all over bitcoin. Nope: it's a 'pyramid scheme' invented by the feds or monopoly money. Even more surprisingly, none of these gold companies want to take BTC for payment, even using bitpay.com where the price is fixed , guaranteed and they are paid cash to bank account next day. Total morons. They would boost sales instantly if they did, be exposed to no risk either because if bitpay doesn't pay you out then don't ship. Right now they want bank wires and hold for days or mailed cashiers cheques. DA FUQ. It's not like gold is covered by any fincen or other regulations. You can freely sell up to $10k worth no ID.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:54:02 AM

I have noticed that on some general message boards that I am a long time member, there have recently been a lot of bitcoin threads popping up.

And there is no reasoning with them, they throw out total incorrect facts, or outdated articles and when you show them that this information is incorrect they basically  stick their fingers in their ears and then warn you again.

I just don't understand where is all this hate coming from (and i was encountering this long before the recent $250 price spike/crash, so it's not just coming from people burned at $250)

It's a shame because their ignorance is costing other people from learning useful information.

They hate Bitcoin because Bitcoin was making the wrong people rich.
Luckybit

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:55:06 AM

Google astroturfing. This is politics and if you use Bitcoin you are an enemy of most authoritarian types.
Luckybit

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:56:34 AM

The real mystery to me is why someone would be politically against Bitcoin if they aren't rich. Are fiat currencies so good for you that you should seek to fight all alternatives?
Luckybit

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:58:42 AM

Go on a gold trading website like Kitco and look in the forums for bitcoin. You'd think these tinfoil hat gold standard guys would be all over bitcoin. Nope: it's a 'pyramid scheme' invented by the feds or monopoly money. Even more surprisingly, none of these gold companies want to take BTC for payment, even using bitpay.com where the price is fixed , guaranteed and they are paid cash to bank account next day. Total morons. They would boost sales instantly if they did, be exposed to no risk either because if bitpay doesn't pay you out then don't ship. Right now they want bank wires and hold for days or mailed cashiers cheques. DA FUQ. It's not like gold is covered by any fincen or other regulations. You can freely sell up to $10k worth no ID.

Even Alex Jones is against Bitcoin now. I've even had arguments with people on this forum claiming Bitcoin early adopters are the new Rothschilds and are part of the Illuminati.
silverback

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 08:04:17 AM

Bitcoin was designed to make people who got in early incredibly wealthy at the expense of everyone else. So, yeah, it's similar to a pyramid scheme. There's another thread on this forum estimating the guy who can up with bitcoin's wealth. Take a look at that some time.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 08:32:03 AM

Bitcoin was designed to make people who got in early incredibly wealthy at the expense of everyone else. So, yeah, it's similar to a pyramid scheme. There's another thread on this forum estimating the guy who can up with bitcoin's wealth. Take a look at that some time.

There's no other way to do it in a natural way.  Just look at how Ripple's handling the opposite of how Satoshi did it.  Look how well that'll work out.

silverback

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 09:56:18 AM

There's no other way to do it in a natural way.  Just look at how Ripple's handling the opposite of how Satoshi did it.  Look how well that'll work out.

Bitcoins seem to get pretty well dispersed now, due to the difficulty of creating them and the number of people involved. Creation of new coins should have followed a logistic curve instead of log. Or maybe even in proportion to the number of transactions. That might have been more stable. The whole bitcoin economy is hostage to early adopters periodically removing vast amounts of other people's wealth basically for doing nothing at all.

Still, what's done is done. Not much can be done about it now. But it's something to consider if and when a new currency is designed.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 05:52:23 PM

It's a common misconception that only the originator of a pyramid scheme profits.  It is very common for several in not most of the levels to do so.  The defining quality is that the bottom most, last to get on board lose and their loses are what those earlier in the scheme pocket.

Did you just describe cyprus ?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: