Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:52:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacked. Vector android phone  (Read 1642 times)
tvbcof (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 04:56:14 AM

Just a heads-up.

I was at a friends house eating dinner on the 11th and my phone hooked up to their Hughes satellite system automatically.  I got some sort of a message which I thought was a chat.  It was in some non-English script.  In responding I found that my keyboard had turned to Arabic.

I didn't think much of it until later that night when I noticed several weird drafts in my e-mail account (which is a Google Apps account.)

I looked at the logs to the extent that my admin account make possible, and my phone had accessed my e-mail account at that time.

I took the what precautions I could and looked around for other activity.  I could see no evidence of excessive disruption.  Although I have various sensitive documents in Google Drive, I make it a point to not keep access to financial stuff, and certainly not to Bitcoin stuff.

The next day I called the Verizon who said that it was almost certainly a hack since Arabic text would have to be downloaded.  I wiped my phone and set up a specific e-mail account for the phone only.  It will be a hassle to not be able to check my main e-mail from the phone, but what can a guy do?

This probably has nothing to do with Bitcoin, but it is the case that I have unwisely mentioned that I have something of a stash, and also I have recently documented this e-mail address in the PM of this forum, so it's not impossible.

I did a little google-searching for attacks which matched my observations about the char set changes and saw nothing.

I'm not much of a phone phreak and don't run a custom image or do almost anything on the phone except use the navigation facilities.  The only app I've installed was one which looks for GPS satellites so I can mollify my aggravation when the GPS is not working.  I can barely wait for mega.co.nz to have e-mail and collaborative document functions so I can switch to a more trusted platform.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 05:14:56 AM

Not sure, but... http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/sep/27/samsung-htc-phones-remote-wipe
tvbcof (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 05:33:18 AM

Does not seem to match a remote wipe issue.  Must have been something to do with the incoming chat (or whatever) since I was neither using my phone, nor did I click any link (purposely) which was part of the incoming message.

My phone is a droid4 on Verizon's LTE.  I had a boat-load of nice Samsung and HTC phones, but none of them would work on Verizon's service so I bought the droid4.  Awful piece of shit, and I find the 4G service to be inferior to my old 9600 baud modem a lot of the time.  Total waste of money.

The phone also comes bogged down with a zillion useless apps and conflicting services.  God-awful mess for someone who does not give a shit about cell phones.  Someday I'll see if I can find a nice custom image so I can trust the thing more.

Another interesting thing is that the tech I spoke to mentioned several times that 'the FBI has warned that task-killers contain viruses.'  I don't use any task killers.  I asked if it was related to the Carrier-IQ brew-ha from a while back.  He seemed a little surprised and sheepishly replied in the affirmative.  I labor under the assumption that pretty much all phones these days spy on everything we plebs do.  Orwell's telescreens on steroids.  I'll be mighty pissed if I get hacked because some hacker figured out how to tap into that data-stream.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 05:51:19 AM

Carrier-IQ + Hughes satellite would explain a lot of things.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: