Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:50:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweatshops in a realistic light.  (Read 14705 times)
LastBattle

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 07:37:11 PM

Exactly, but, ironically enough, the one who stole the land WAS the employer.

Isn't it magical how this all comes full circle?

How did the employer steal the land then?  There is something you're not telling me.

You know the way macropolitics always works, economic destruction by officials, land purchase by corporations, jobs worked by people who could have never had a practical opportunity to influence either decision.

So.... not theft then.  OK.

Oh, that's right!  As long as it's techinically LEGAL then it's perfectly ok... unless we're talking about taxes, then of course it's definitely theft because all our standards are completely arbitrary.  I think I'm getting the hang of this libertarian thing!

Voluntary transactions are not theft; taxes are not voluntary.  If you're looking for inconsistencies in the libertarian position, you won't find in there.

Taxes sure as hell are voluntary.  You're free to leave the country or stop paying them at any time.  If you choose to stop paying them, you'll face jail time or fines, but no one is preventing you from making that choice.

Just like the people getting their land taken away, they're free to fight back and get killed.  They have a choice (albeit a crappy one), so according to libertarians, choice (no matter how terrible) = voluntary.

They have a choice to not work in the sweatshops.  They can skip the work and starve to death.  That's a choice, so it must be voluntary.

I don't think you understand what coercion is.

Also, being extorted by the mafia is voluntary, too. You can leave the country or get shot if you don't want to pay, but no one is preventing you.

If we're using your standard than you're 100%.

I do understand what coercion is, I just refuse to let you use the word arbitrarily.  Arguing a societal system is all about consistency.  It's easy to come up with seemingly viable systems if you use arbitrary application of principles and standards, but those systems, like your libertarian system, don't pass the consistency test.  Real-world workable systems must be consistent, because the real world is too complex and includes people of too many differeing opinions for you to get away with using YOUR arbitrary standards.

That sure is some strange logic.

The world is complex, therefore there must be thugs who extort people for their money and control what they can/cannot do.

You do realize that in a libertarian system, each individual would have his own standards and therefore it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference whether a person had a differing opinion or not, right? Seems like the real world is too complex for your arbitrary standards.

Absolutely unture.  If they're within a libertarian system then they are being forced to abide by that system and everything that comes with it.  No man is an island unto himself, you'll learn that someday when you grow up.

There are some farmers who would kill for all of the strawmen you are erecting.

You are right in that no man is an island. Therefore, people would have to negotiate and find common ground with each other through reasoning as opposed to, say, having a group of men with guns take money and force people to do things they don't want to/stop them from doing things that harm no one else.

Your definition of "complexity" is flawed. A half decent computer program is not run as a single mammoth program bursting with code and commands, it is run as a very large amount of subroutines that influence each other. Each individual one is small, but when properly coded they work together in such a way as to create a functional system that wouldn't work with just one large program. Likewise, the individuals within the market might not be especially clever or competent, but the interaction between the billions of people in the supply chain creates the best allocation of resources that a large government bureau couldn't manage.

You're standing on a flagstone running with blood, alone and so very lonely because you can't choose but you had to

I take tips to: 14sF7NNGJzXvoBcfbLR6N4Exy8umCAqdBd
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 08:10:41 PM

How did the employer steal the land then?  There is something you're not telling me.

You know the way macropolitics always works, economic destruction by officials, land purchase by corporations, jobs worked by people who could have never had a practical opportunity to influence either decision.

Oh, that's right!  As long as it's techinically LEGAL then it's perfectly ok... unless we're talking about taxes, then of course it's definitely theft because all our standards are completely arbitrary.  I think I'm getting the hang of this libertarian thing!

Voluntary transactions are not theft; taxes are not voluntary.  If you're looking for inconsistencies in the libertarian position, you won't find in there.

Taxes sure as hell are voluntary.  You're free to leave the country or stop paying them at any time.  If you choose to stop paying them, you'll face jail time or fines, but no one is preventing you from making that choice.

Just like the people getting their land taken away, they're free to fight back and get killed.  They have a choice (albeit a crappy one), so according to libertarians, choice (no matter how terrible) = voluntary.

They have a choice to not work in the sweatshops.  They can skip the work and starve to death.  That's a choice, so it must be voluntary.

Also, being extorted by the mafia is voluntary, too. You can leave the country or get shot if you don't want to pay, but no one is preventing you.

I do understand what coercion is, I just refuse to let you use the word arbitrarily.  Arguing a societal system is all about consistency.  It's easy to come up with seemingly viable systems if you use arbitrary application of principles and standards, but those systems, like your libertarian system, don't pass the consistency test.  Real-world workable systems must be consistent, because the real world is too complex and includes people of too many differeing opinions for you to get away with using YOUR arbitrary standards.

The world is complex, therefore there must be thugs who extort people for their money and control what they can/cannot do.

You do realize that in a libertarian system, each individual would have his own standards and therefore it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference whether a person had a differing opinion or not, right? Seems like the real world is too complex for your arbitrary standards.

Absolutely unture.  If they're within a libertarian system then they are being forced to abide by that system and everything that comes with it.  No man is an island unto himself, you'll learn that someday when you grow up.

You are right in that no man is an island. Therefore, people would have to negotiate and find common ground with each other through reasoning

Exactly.  This is called a social contract and it spawns a form of government of the society's choosing.  No man is an island unto himself.  Compromise, and thus force, will ALWAYS be a part of any societal organization.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
Anonymous

July 01, 2011, 08:14:47 PM

Uh, it's not of society's choosing. It's only of the founding populace and it's irrelevant if the laws are subject to change due international, corporate or authoritarian influence.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 11:34:05 PM

Cccc-ombo breaker! (thank god!)

Exactly.  This is called a social contract and it spawns a form of government of the society's choosing.  No man is an island unto himself.  Compromise, and thus force, will ALWAYS be a part of any societal organization.

Right... that's why so many Mediators die in gun fights.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
LastBattle

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 12:06:06 AM

You are right in that no man is an island. Therefore, people would have to negotiate and find common ground with each other through reasoning

Who is this "society" and where can I negotiate terms with him?

A contract that I never signed nor agreed to and is enforced on me under duress is a contract I, nor anyone else, am obliged to follow up on.

You're standing on a flagstone running with blood, alone and so very lonely because you can't choose but you had to

AyeYo

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 02:32:05 AM

A contract that I never signed nor agreed to and is enforced on me under duress is a contract I, nor anyone else, am obliged to follow up on.

You give your continuing concent to the contract every second that you keep choosing to NOT leave.  No one is forcing you into the terms of this society, you can leave at any time.  You choose not to.  You choose to stay and reap the benefits of this society while constantly bitching about how horrible it is.  That means you're subject to all the rules and agreements of this society.

You negotiate your terms here:

and here...

and if you're really savy, intelligent, and capable, here too...

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 02:38:54 AM

If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal. - Emma Goldman

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
AyeYo

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 02:41:56 AM

Voting changes politicians all the time.  The lack of systemic change rests solely on the shoulders of the lazy, ignorant, uninformed, apathetic populace.  They'll all bitch and moan that life sucks, the country is going down the drain, all the politicians are horrible, etc., but when the ballot boxes open, they're no where to be seen.  When campaign season starts, they're too busy on the internet bitching and whining.  When there's a local government meeting going on, they're at home playing on their iPad.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 02:55:35 AM

Voting changes politicians all the time.  The lack of systemic change rests solely on the shoulders of the lazy, ignorant, uninformed, apathetic populace.  They'll all bitch and moan that life sucks, the country is going down the drain, all the politicians are horrible, etc., but when the ballot boxes open, they're no where to be seen.  When campaign season starts, they're too busy on the internet bitching and whining.  When there's a local government meeting going on, they're at home playing on their iPad.

The problem is, there's no 'None of the above' option. Lesser of two evils is still evil.

AyeYo

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 03:02:10 AM

The problem is, there's no 'None of the above' option. Lesser of two evils is still evil.

You're free to run for office.  What's stopping you?  Change happens at home first; are you active in your town's politics?  Do you go to town meetings?  Town politicians are very accessable; have you ever stopped into their offices to talk to them?  Do you campaign for third-party candidates locally or nationally?  There are plenty of ways for you to make change happen, but they all require you to get off your ass and do something.  Stop bitching on the internet and go make the change you want happen.

You've obviously never voted because there's usually 10+ names on any given ticket (POTUS included).  The two party, lesser of two evils system only works because people allow it to.  It goes right back to what I just said about the general populace.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 03:21:45 AM

I have voted, and you know, not once did I see a 'Nobody' option.

It was always a choice of which person I wanted to mug me. Pass.

LastBattle

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 03:41:54 AM

You give your continuing concent to the contract every second that you keep choosing to NOT leave.  No one is forcing you into the terms of this society, you can leave at any time.  You choose not to.  You choose to stay and reap the benefits of this society while constantly bitching about how horrible it is.  That means you're subject to all the rules and agreements of this society.

You negotiate your terms here:

and here...

and if you're really savy, intelligent, and capable, here too...

S'not anyone else's land except my own, and thus no one else can say I consent by not abandoning my property.

Anyway, majority rules are pretty stupid. It ends up with the "majority" deciding it will benefit from this guy:

Or these guys:

Or this guy:

etc

If people in my "country" can loot a minority by will of its numbers, why can't I get together a bunch of guys in my town and rob some neighbors? After all, they consent to being robbed if they don't leave.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 03:45:22 AM

Guys, As a favor, can you guys quit with the quote pyramid now, especially since we've got pictures? My eyes... they bleed...

LastBattle

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:05:45 AM

Guys, As a favor, can you guys quit with the quote pyramid now, especially since we've got pictures? My eyes... they bleed...

kay

AyeYo

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 12:50:51 PM

If people in my "country" can loot a minority by will of its numbers, why can't I get together a bunch of guys in my town and rob some neighbors? After all, they consent to being robbed if they don't leave.

That's why your arbitrary standard of concent is a load of horseshit.

That's why pure democracy doesn't exist anywhere.

Humans are fallable, that's why we have laws and basic legal documents like constitutions that secure some basic rights and principles to protect the minority from the majority.  Beyond that, it's all compromise, which really can only be done through a majority vote.

LastBattle

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:45:48 PM

Humans are fallable, that's why we have laws and basic legal documents like constitutions that secure some basic rights and principles to protect the minority from the majority.  Beyond that, it's all compromise, which really can only be done through a majority vote.

Okay. My buddies set up a constitution with a variety of "laws" that we begin to enforce, but notably allows our enforcers to steal money from our "citizens". Every year we have an election to decide who gets to be an enforcer and who gets extra money taken from them.

Also, what happened to your bullshit about consistency, then? The majority is completely in control except when it isn't? What happened to consistency right there?

What separates a "rightful" government from the mafia? And don't give me that "consent of the governed blah blah" garbage, I didn't consent and neither did many others. Please, seeing as how you think that you have the consistent position and I don't, give me a clear definition of a government that separates it from something some toughs in a town or the Mafia could establish.

AyeYo

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 05:09:44 PM

Okay. My buddies set up a constitution with a variety of "laws" that we begin to enforce, but notably allows our enforcers to steal money from our "citizens". Every year we have an election to decide who gets to be an enforcer and who gets extra money taken from them.

Also, what happened to your bullshit about consistency, then? The majority is completely in control except when it isn't? What happened to consistency right there?

What separates a "rightful" government from the mafia? And don't give me that "consent of the governed blah blah" garbage, I didn't consent and neither did many others. Please, seeing as how you think that you have the consistent position and I don't, give me a clear definition of a government that separates it from something some toughs in a town or the Mafia could establish.

The enforces don't steal money from the citizens.  Give me real world proof of government officials DIRECTLY pocketing public money on a large scale.  Is that really what you think happens?  No wonder you're so clueless.

It's completely consistent.  The majority rules WITHIN THE BOUNDS SET BY THE FOUNDING DOCUMENT.  They can do what they want as long as it doesn't violate the ground rules.

The Mafia doesn't hold public votes, last time I checked.  No public meetings, open forms for opinion, etc.  That's the major difference, but feel free to keep bringing the lulz with your hyperbole.

You did give and are continuing to give your consent.  You're free to live at any time.  If you choose to stay, you choose to abide by the rules.

Anonymous

July 02, 2011, 05:11:19 PM

We can't leave. The central banks have a monopoly on all of the wealth and every first-world state is a cattle state.
AyeYo

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 05:16:14 PM

We can't leave. The central banks have a monopoly on all of the wealth and every first-world state is a cattle state.

Then go move to a third-world state.  Greece was selling island not long ago.  Get a bunch of your nutty libertarian friends together, buy one, and establish liberland.

As long as you choose to sit here and bitch, you choose to follow the rules.  You're free to leave at any time.  You do have a choice.

Anonymous

July 02, 2011, 05:19:17 PM

Then go move to a third-world state.  Greece was selling island not long ago.  Get a bunch of your nutty libertarian friends together, buy one, and establish liberland.

As long as you choose to sit here and bitch, you choose to follow the rules.  You're free to leave at any time.  You do have a choice.
Once we establish it, you parasites will come and take it. You will consider us a threat because of our prosperity. Everybody would be coming to us eventually.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: