Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:08:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I think it's clear that ripple would help bitcoin but would bitcoin help ripple?  (Read 606 times)
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 05:40:59 PM

In other words... having people use ripple would help bitcoin because it would alleviate the blockchain... it would make transactions faster.... and consequently it might also reduce the fees for micropayments even further... but most of all it would increase liquidity allowing those who want bitcoin to acquire them.

But how does bitcoin help ripple? Here are just some speculations coming from my limited understanding:

Ripple might make it easy to transfer between currencies that it will allow people more of a choice of what they want to hold. And if they could hold bitcoins as easily as they could hold dollars why would they choose the inflating currency?

If they can choose bitcoins a reason besides inflation might be that governments and banks can't confiscate bitcoins.

And finally bitcoins might make it easier to acquire ripples? I'm not sure if you can buy ripples with a credit card but surely you can buy them with bit coins so this might be a way ripple utilizes bitcoin?

what are your thoughts?

finally ........ doesn't ripple run into a HUGE problem with the new FINCEN rules?
temor

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 05:45:43 PM

Ripple wouldn't even exist without Bitcoin, so the roles are completely reversed.

Please make a post in my Reputation Thread if we've had a successful trade.
dadrizforshizz

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 05:58:36 PM

I hope no one is actually buying ripples (RTC), they are still set to release huge chunks. Ripple seems like a good intermediary for currency  transactions (way better than paypal), but if you are speculating that a ripple will increase in value, I wouldnt. Yeah they made 100billion and a fraction disappears every time you use them, but there is nothing from stopping them to issue another 1000 billion or 100 million trillion lol. In my opinion, people looking to get in on the ground floor of the currency and "make millions" like early bitcoin adopters are wasting their cash.
nameface

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:05:35 PM

Ripple wouldn't even exist without Bitcoin, so the roles are completely reversed.
lol

Ripple was based on a local exchange trading system, and dev work was started well before Bitcoin was released.

Bitcoin is helping Ripple grow. Ripple will help Bitcoin (and other new currencies) survive and thrive.  
nameface

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:08:24 PM

I hope no one is actually buying ripples (RTC), they are still set to release huge chunks. Ripple seems like a good intermediary for currency  transactions (way better than paypal), but if you are speculating that a ripple will increase in value, I wouldnt. Yeah they made 100billion and a fraction disappears every time you use them, but there is nothing from stopping them to issue another 1000 billion or 100 million trillion lol. In my opinion, people looking to get in on the ground floor of the currency and "make millions" like early bitcoin adopters are wasting their cash.

RTC? WTH kinda thread is this?

They will not release more XRP. Once the source is released the number of XRP will officially be fixed, just like Bitcoin.
dchapes

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 11:20:02 PM

Except that Ripple pre-dates bitcoin. classic.ripplay.com and villages.cc are where some previous implementations exist and thrive with their niche communities. Ripple never had the backing of someone like OpenCoin to push it to a wider audience and to make it distributed (once they're out of beta).

IMO, Ripple questions are best asked (and answered) on the Ripple forum and/or StackExchange
temor

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 11:40:31 PM

what I'm saying is that most of the ripple userbase probably comes from bitcoin, and if they didn't use bitcoins as a way of payment my guess is that their userbase would be even smaller.

Please make a post in my Reputation Thread if we've had a successful trade.
nameface

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 07:37:58 PM

The Bitcoin bridge shows how Bitcoin and Ripple can interact fruitfully: https://ripple.com/blog/bitcoin-bridge-lets-ripple-users-make-payments-to-bitcoin-accounts/

Bitcoin eco-system gains easy payments from the entire Ripple network. Ripple can offer account holders great new merchant services.

They do good efficient business together.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: