Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:47:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: License and Regulate Bitcoin Mining?  (Read 1090 times)
wolverine.ks (OP)

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:09:46 PM

Could govt do the following?

1. Amnesty for all current holders of bitcoins if they register ownership of all currently owned bitcoin.

2. Require licenses and registering of all mining and block rewards.

3. Fines and/or jail time for not registering, or maintaining a license.

4. Fines and/or jail time for off-chain transactions.

5. Create new category of taxes specifically for cryptocurrency 'gains' due to deflation.

6. Create new category of taxes specifically for block reward 'gains'.

I realize there are several problems, two being, how do you determine if your citizen is involved in a transaction and not a citizen of another country, and how do you know they did it in your jurisdiction?

Well, they seem to do ok with gold and other forms of tax evasion and money laundering, or perhaps they arent doing as well as they would like you to believe.

Any thoughts?
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:11:14 PM

I'm not entirely sure of any of this; however, if you post this thread in the Legal sub-forum, you're bound to get much more informed replies.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 07:13:41 PM

http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/pdf/FIN-2013-G001.pdf

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
asdf

Activity: 527

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 09:27:44 PM

Hmm... I hadn't read this.

So if I trade bitcoins for dollars, I'm a "money transmitter", but if I trade bitcoins for goods and services, I'm not.

So I have 1BTC and you have a dollar and we want to trade, why can't I just sell you my phone for $100 and then you buy a phone off me for 1BTC? We have just effectively traded currency, without being money transmitters. Absurd!?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 09:35:16 PM

Hmm... I hadn't read this.

So if I trade bitcoins for dollars, I'm a "money transmitter", but if I trade bitcoins for goods and services, I'm not.

So I have 1BTC and you have a dollar and we want to trade, why can't I just sell you my phone for $100 and then you buy a phone off me for 1BTC? We have just effectively traded currency, without being money transmitters. Absurd!?
Par for the course.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 09:47:28 PM

I think governments take the easy route. Once you gain either fiat or some larger assets you must declare where did they come from or what did you do to get those.

Until you have something well recognised it's too hard to track.

They likely will make some things reportable in future, such as wages if crypto currencies gain wide spread use.  And there is always taxes to be paid in one way or an other...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 09:57:12 PM

They likely will make some things reportable in future, such as wages if crypto currencies gain wide spread use.  And there is always taxes to be paid in one way or an other...
Yeah, good luck with that.

aantonop

Activity: 196
Merit: 116

Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 09:59:29 PM

Why would you even want to suggest this?

Why regulate miners?

What problem are you solving?

Leave bitcoin mining alone. There's no need to regulate or license anything and plenty of reasons why it is a very bad idea. Ultimately such a scheme directly undermines the security of bitcoin. Restricting the supply of miners allows anyone to artificially takeover the network.

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 10:02:59 PM

It's not really very hard. Aim at corporations. Just need to do some audits to keep them on toes. If grey markets become problem, more force will be diverted to issue.

When you really think about it very many things are easily tracked now days. Rather hard to avoid paying for things in urban and sub-urban communities...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 10:32:22 PM

It's not really very hard. Aim at corporations. Just need to do some audits to keep them on toes. If grey markets become problem, more force will be diverted to issue.

When you really think about it very many things are easily tracked now days. Rather hard to avoid paying for things in urban and sub-urban communities...
Apply as much force as you want. All they have to do is say "no," and you're SOL. Can't freeze their accounts. Can't seize their money. What, you're going to threaten people with torture to get your funding? How long do you think that will stand?

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 11:24:15 PM

What problem are you solving?

This applies to everything the government "solves".  Sure, they'll solve a problem, after they create a problem.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: