Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 10:18:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How dangerous is mining for your GPU?  (Read 50306 times)
kojo23

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 11:38:24 AM

Check for dust!
Thats probably the most important part of the game...
stormtide

Activity: 26

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 11:49:38 AM

I'm thinking TriForce setup with water cooling  Roll Eyes
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:02:46 PM

everything fails at some point most card are only suppose to have a life span of around 100,000 hours but that said most do last longer people keep saying run your card so its nice and cool but they also forget that all the small circuits and resisters and VRMs are all points of failure after time they will fail (most of the time youve upgraded cards long before this happens)  alot of fails are down to neglect and to much heat, in some way mining with a GPU can extend the life of the card as it dosnt have a cooling down period (this is where things like older GPUs, xbox360s and even PS'3 fail) without the card cooling down the metals such as solders dont expand and contract constantly so they dont crack or break causing blank sreen and 3red lights of death (xbox) or yellow light of death (PS3)

over all there are pros and cons to it but done correctly and well maintained you can get very long life spans out of GPUs

BitFollower

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:29:13 PM

Heed all the warnings about dust. It makes a HUGE difference in temperature. My card started having its fans go crazy just from gaming. I ignored it for a while then checked the temperature one day and it was over 90 degrees! Took some compressed air to it, back to normal.

So watch temperature, and clean your card regularly.
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:32:58 PM

Heed all the warnings about dust. It makes a HUGE difference in temperature. My card started having its fans go crazy just from gaming. I ignored it for a while then checked the temperature one day and it was over 90 degrees! Took some compressed air to it, back to normal.

+1 +1 +1

Dust your PC bits once a month, especially when you are maxxing your GPU out constantly.  It will get caked in dust very quickly. 

I've been dreaming of a pc air filter... Remove the side of your case, tape air filters to it and mount fans to it.  Still a poor idea, so it stays in my head.

vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:34:45 PM

+1 +1 +1

Dust your PC bits once a month, especially when you are maxxing your GPU out constantly.  It will get caked in dust very quickly.  

I've been dreaming of a pc air filter... Remove the side of your case, tape air filters to it and mount fans to it.  Still a poor idea, so it stays in my head.

your not as crazy as you sound, some high end cases do come with dust filters on the front in fans reduces the amount of dust very nicely to

blackbox

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 06:26:20 PM

Well I just had my fan on my GPU go.  Took it out, vaccummed it, but still makes a terrible noise when it spins.  Does not seem user replaceable...
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 06:35:03 PM

I don't see it as dangerous at all as long as you make sure that you have adequate cooling for your video card. That being said anything with moving parts that is constantly running is bound to fail one day.
greenboy84

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 06:36:10 PM

There are commands you can use with cgminer to ensure your temp stays good, I use this:

--temp-target 82 --auto-fan

The source of my altcoin fortunes : CRYPTSY EXCHANGE
bigkillerstorm

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 06:49:54 PM

Yeah watch that dust its evil clean ur gpu whit high pressure air every 3-6 months specialy if u mine 24/7.
jmfg187 (OP)

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 08:46:52 PM

Well I just had my fan on my GPU go.  Took it out, vaccummed it, but still makes a terrible noise when it spins.  Does not seem user replaceable...
What model is your GPU, I should be able to tell you if you can replace the fan.

BTC: 17nmAJ5N2fKMTGymAarp4DUPXjHkohacXQ  LTC: LUzmyjMuVWyU9coa7iEQYgGWKDBKRsiLmo  NVC: 4Pby77nChLzU2rsi2RsLpM8C95dKF5XTbg  FC: 6nKefP46bnT3P1XP9jaEugYd84UdW4zrL3
mvrak

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:58:52 PM

With adequate cooling your GPUs are fine.  Fans wear out.  Running GPUs too hot increases the chance of localized temperature spikes that make kill some part of some transistor.

It only takes one weakest link to bring down the whole card.

Mining is not dangerous, overheating is dangerous.
JohnnyBrown

Activity: 106

"Highest ROI crypto infrastructure"

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:09:32 PM

If you choose to OC badly (eg. nonsensical voltages), then you can fry the cores. If you have good temps & OC ranges, then nothing bad may happen (personal experience). If you have a good cooling solution (Like XFX's Double Dissipation or some nice aftermarket ones (eg. GELID)), then you are all set for some conservative or normal OC.

mountaineer

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:09:39 PM

Mining will stress components more so then regular use. As others have said, keeping everything as cool as possible will prevent things from failing.
yugo23

Activity: 476
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:09:46 PM

I keep all my GPUs below 75 C and they seem fine so far.
Malawi

Activity: 224

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:21:55 PM

If your fan looks like this, it's time to do a little cleaning.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
Catcher

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:54:52 PM

Some cards get really hot others don't, I have a HD5770 from Sapphire that wants to run at 85C. Where an nVidia gts450 is happy at 65C. Both have MSI afterburner auto controlling the fans.

My HD5770 from Sapphire runs on temperature 72 °C. No overclock.
Kruniac

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:06:45 PM

Burning up a card is a huge concern of mine. I'm really, really curious as to how the new chips being developed will stand up to constant use.

SimonJones

Activity: 485
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:02:07 PM

Losing a card at this time would be a big loss! Bitcoin mining using them is not so profitable anyway.

..............Web..............Bounty..............Twitter..............Telegram.......
.......ALL DATA ⇔ ONE PLACE.......

oddwh

Activity: 854

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:32:49 PM

If you think the temperature is too high, just reduce the frequency. Even if your hashrate will not be the best, you will not burn your GPU  Smiley
Me, I just make my possible to stay arount 70-75°C, not more. I don't know if it's the best choice but in my opinion, it seems fine.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄
     ▄██▀▀             ▀▀██▄
    ██▀                   ▀██
   █▌                       ▐█
  █▌                         ▐█
 ▐█            ▄▄▄            █▌
 ██         ▄██▀▀▀██▄         ██
 ▄         ▐█▌     ▐█▌         ▄
███        █▌       ▐█        ███
 ▀   █▄    ▐█▌     ▐█▌    ▄█   ▀
   █▄  █▄   ▀██▄▄▄██▀   ▄█  ▄█