Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:28:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does pool mining work compared to solo mining?  (Read 6266 times)
99bitcoins (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 11:46:54 PM

I understand that with solo mining you broadcast when your find a hash below a certain target. What about pool mining? Do you have to collect all the hashed and send them to the pool every so often? Can someone give me a simple explanation of how that works?
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 11:56:26 PM

Figure it out yourself, mine in a pool in the meanwhile.
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 02:02:19 AM

Not a terribly helpful answer. I'm not sure I 100% understand it, but I'll give you what I think I know.

Pools assign work units, similar to the current block being worked on, however at difficulty 1 (or higher depending on your hashing power), which are called shares. The idea is that you solve your mini-block, and submit it back to the pool, to show your proof of work, out of every X shares submitted, one will also solve the "real" block being worked on (by chance).

So you are in essence solving an easier problem, that can potentially solve a more difficult one, and everyone doing this over and over and over eventually do find a block.
99bitcoins (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 02:16:02 AM

Not a terribly helpful answer. I'm not sure I 100% understand it, but I'll give you what I think I know.

Pools assign work units, similar to the current block being worked on, however at difficulty 1 (or higher depending on your hashing power), which are called shares. The idea is that you solve your mini-block, and submit it back to the pool, to show your proof of work, out of every X shares submitted, one will also solve the "real" block being worked on (by chance).

So you are in essence solving an easier problem, that can potentially solve a more difficult one, and everyone doing this over and over and over eventually do find a block.

Sounds reasonable, thanks. I'm actually looking for some articles that go into more detail. It looks like it really depends on how the pool operator decides to do it so it seems to vary from pool to pool.
whitetoo

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 09:27:07 AM

Click on "What is pooled mining" top left
It gives decent explanation on the various systems within pool mining as well:
https://mining.bitcoin.cz/
middlemarkal

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:55:34 PM

the easyiest pool/mining software for BTC is BITMINTER.COM   Grin

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
DastanX

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:04:26 PM

pool = cash every 15mins
solo = cash never lol

srsly you need much gh/s to do it solo ex. 20 gh/s need approx 22days depents great on luck
MashRinx

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 09:05:39 PM

I understand that with solo mining you broadcast when your find a hash below a certain target. What about pool mining? Do you have to collect all the hashed and send them to the pool every so often? Can someone give me a simple explanation of how that works?

Pretty much what DastanX said.  Unless you have some very serious hardware, you want to mine in a pool.  Most pools pay out relative to the amount of work you contribute during a given time period.  Some do it per time 'shifts' others do it per block, etc.  The way they calculate those payouts can differ as well, as well as the fees charged.

Good luck.

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:46:59 PM

I tried solo mining for 2 days and it sucked... the reports are not wrong, it doesn't work on a normal or even very fast computer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: