Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:11:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX Video Card - Question About Mining  (Read 3274 times)
hesdeadjim (OP)

Activity: 468
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2017, 05:32:05 AM

First I would like to say, please don't clog up this thread with posts about what a waste of time this is.

If you have nothing positive to contribute then please go elsewhere.

I have this card - Geforce 9800 GTX - and i am using it to get familiar with gpu mining.

The only program that I could find to work with this card was ccminer version 1.2

https://github.com/cbuchner1/ccminer/releases

The problem is that when i start the miner, and I look at the monitoring program, I find that the miner is only using 2% of the gpu.

I had assumed the mining programs automatically used the full power of the gpu.

Either I thought wrong, or I am using the program wrong.

I would appreciate a little help.

Here are the settings:

ccminer -a x11 -o stratum+tcp://hobbyistpool.ddns.net:4350 -u xxxxxxx.xxxxxxx -p xxxxxxx

Thanks

Awesome New Exchange  -  http://www.cryproquo.com/addcoin.html  -  Awesome New Exchange
Put  -  Referred By hesdeadjim  -  In The Box Marked Additional Notes And Receive 1/2 Off Listing Fees From 07/01/18  -  07/07/18
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
peteycamey
Legendary

Activity: 1184
Merit: 1017

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2017, 06:09:34 AM

its a waste of time

because the miner "does not support" this card.
PovertyByte

Activity: 420

View Profile
January 28, 2017, 06:25:51 AM

Your do not trash this thread plea is in vain

There is a reason no miner works except one and it doesn't utilize the GPU even. The GPU is too primitive. Even if it weren't I could tell you that it's probably less efficient than my CPU is right now and the verdict on here is that CPU mining is low hash and just wasting electric

If you want to learn how to mine, you need a different card.
hesdeadjim (OP)

Activity: 468

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 03:28:01 PM

Well thanks to both of you for living up to all of my expectations.

I would have been very easy to suggest using another miner like cudaminer, which worked by the way.

But i guess some people just can't resist shitting on other peoples threads.

There are doctors and medications for obsessive disorders like that.

I suggest you look into those options before making any more posts.

Thanks.

Smiley

Awesome New Exchange  -  http://www.cryproquo.com/addcoin.html  -  Awesome New Exchange
Put  -  Referred By hesdeadjim  -  In The Box Marked Additional Notes And Receive 1/2 Off Listing Fees From 07/01/18  -  07/07/18
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 04:02:45 PM

Sorry mate, it ain't gonna work. You'll only get useless replies in this thread, better lock it up. The reason is simple, your GPU is not supported. Buy a new one...

Its not about that 1-2% usage of your GPU, even if it uses all 100%, it'd be totally useless.
o00o

Activity: 93
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 07:02:51 PM

I have 2 of these GPUs which have been sitting on the shelf for a few months and was curious as to how much I can yield from them.

Your most viable option is most probably Quark @ ~800 KH/s with a very particular build of SGminer but unless you're provided with free electricity, this would defeat it's own purpose.  Most algorithms make use of instructions which are not supported by these obsolete cards.

BTC:1Gk3p6KbCKiVhJYksaYPeAGL948rAsjmUS
cptfisher

Activity: 649
Merit: 505

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 07:10:47 PM

this cards is compute architechture 1...... it is not supported by any cuda .... damn even cuda 2 architetecture has been abandoned by most....
felixbrucker

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2017, 07:51:04 PM

I would have been very easy to suggest using another miner like cudaminer, which worked by the way.

Thanks.

Smiley

its just that most people dont even bother to read the full op

it was intended to get familiar with mining, not for profit

suggesting to buy a decent card just to get familiar with mining is like suggesting to buy a new car to get familiar with driving, even though you have a crappy old car for free in your garage to learn about stuff

i personally dont know any specific miner for sm 1.X, but im sure a very old version of ccminer or cudaminer will work, as you stated above it did apparently

additionally i suggest using cpu mining to get familar too, its very similar to gpu mining but got a better support in recent miners
meeow

Activity: 72
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 02:58:21 AM

sorry, you just need to face the reality that your gpu is obsolete for 95% of mining software regardless of profitability. an analogy would be trying to run windows 10 on a pentium and 16kb ram...just won't work because most miners require newer compute capabilities/cuda versions. only way to solve your problem is to find the couple of mining software that works or to write your own miners or get a newer gpu, no one is shitting on your thread. hell, even many miners don't work with my 780ti and it's not nearly as old...
PovertyByte

Activity: 420

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 07:15:58 AM

Thanks.

Smiley

It's you with the ancient GPU to test that, not me. Your OP said that the only miner you could find that works was ccminer. This implies that you tried many miners so why would I suggest you to use another one that I don't know will work for you that you probably tried already?

Arachnia

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 06:52:52 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2018, 07:04:04 AM by Arachnia

I apologize for bringing up an old thread, but I wanted to provide some info for this topic incase someone else comes along via a google search like I did for this topic.

@OP:
I recently benchmarked my old 9800gtx out of curiosity. Just wanted to test it.

Try NiceHashLegacy for the 9800gtx. Other than old ccminer versions, I too could not find anything else that would work for that card. When I tested, it posted at $0.12/day. Of course that does not cover the power cost of the card, but it was interesting that I could get it to work nonetheless. I don't remember what algo/miner NiceHashLegacy settled on but only 1 or 2 algos would even work on it iirc.

Hope that information helps! (unfortunately NHL doesn't exactly help anyone learn the ins and outs of mining, and judging by the oldness of the post, it's likely you won't benefit from this response at this point hehe)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 06:50:06 PM

The primary issue is that the GTX 9800 only supports CUDA Compute version 1.1 - which is generally NOT supported by anything current in mining programs.

It supports OpenCL 3.3, but that's pretty long in the tooth too and I'm not sure if anything supports that any more outside of the D.Net client (which isn't useable for mining any more at all since Gridcoin decided to drop the Moo Wrapper project).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: