Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:29:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XFX 7970 Power Supply  (Read 4995 times)
pccs (OP)

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:52:34 PM

I think some power supplys have a single 12v rail thats capable of delivering xx amps and other supplies have multiple rails, each delivering a fraction of the total current available. Mine only has 2 PCIe outputs, so to put another card in here I need to get another PSU. Unless there's some other way around that.

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:59:04 PM

More info on what PSU you have specifically?

I only saw "750w Thermaltake". But they have different model lines, and they are of various quality (ThermalTake Toughpower, awesome, ThermalTake TR2, total garbage in the garbage can, both 750W).
EDIT: There are tons of SATA/MOLEX -> PCIE converters, assuming your PSU is of quality to be able to deliver the amps needed.

Pretty sure my 7970 is going back to the shop. Tried it on 2 different machines, 2 different power supplies, 2 different monitors, 2 different connectors (HDMI and DVI) still get no screen of any kind. Computer still boots fine, still mines at nice speeds, but I'd still prefer one that actually displays something.
pccs (OP)

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:16:29 AM

Definately send it back, if ya ever wanted to sell it later on it's a bonus if it will actually have an output that works lol.

Yeah, this PSU is pretty old but still workin, I've never had a problem with ThermalTake.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: