Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:54:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does one install the bitcoin wallet on a web server from shell?  (Read 3814 times)
Abandon (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 01:53:44 AM
Last edit: April 15, 2013, 02:53:35 AM by Abandon

I want to tinker with bitcoin on my server, and perhaps create a website of some kind around it. However I've already run into a wall. My host is linux, and probably Debian, and it is a shared hosting.

I have access to the shell for the most part.

Since it is linux, I downloaded the linux bitcoin wallet, and there is where I'm lost.

I think I can ditch the GUI, as I only need the "bitcoind" file, that being in the bin of the linux wallet (32 bit or 64 bit). What to do with that, I do not know. Where do I upload it?

This is helpful, I think: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/PHP_developer_intro
Yet it doesn't give explicit directions for compiling. I think it assumes I know kind of what I'm doing. Which I don't. And I think it assumes I have a GUI for the server too.

So what I think I need to do is install the bitcoin wallet. How do I do that from the shell?

I don't know a thing about shell/console commands, or much about linux for that matter.

I appreciate the help!
eric7

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:00:22 AM

I'd recommend you build bitcoind from source and run its tests. You can find links to the latest release here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

If you really don't want to install it from source, you can also run apt-get update; apt-get install bitcoind.

Once you do that, you should run bitcoind securely in the background (*do not* allow it to listen for connections coming from the Internet-- only from your own machine or network). Then you can communicate with it via the JSON RPC, allowing you to interact with the rest of the Bitcoin network.

There's an init.d script here that you can use, so you don't have to manually pass in the correct arguments each time and prepare the daemon to run: https://bitcointalk.org/?topic=965.0

The first time you run bitcoind, you'll notice that there's no output. This is normal as bitcoind attempts to download blocks from the network. It may take a while. Once your node is fully synced with the rest of the network, you'll be able to start using it.

Good luck! Smiley
Abandon (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:53:57 AM

I'd recommend you build bitcoind from source and run its tests. You can find links to the latest release here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

If you really don't want to install it from source, you can also run apt-get update; apt-get install bitcoind.

Once you do that, you should run bitcoind securely in the background (*do not* allow it to listen for connections coming from the Internet-- only from your own machine or network). Then you can communicate with it via the JSON RPC, allowing you to interact with the rest of the Bitcoin network.

There's an init.d script here that you can use, so you don't have to manually pass in the correct arguments each time and prepare the daemon to run: https://bitcointalk.org/?topic=965.0

The first time you run bitcoind, you'll notice that there's no output. This is normal as bitcoind attempts to download blocks from the network. It may take a while. Once your node is fully synced with the rest of the network, you'll be able to start using it.

Good luck! Smiley

It appears that our host does not allow root access. All I have access to are things in my directory: /home/myusername

Is it possible to set it up without root?
Abandon (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 05:41:35 AM

No you need root, a shared hosting is a horrible place for a wallet, your funds will probably be stolen. You need to learn security and about web development before tackling a bitcoin project. This isn't something you setup in a day and just start coding, you will leave big holes, I suggest you learn some linux security then move your way to bitcoin security, then maybe you can create a web site.

I never thought about the possibility of a hosting admin stealing the wallet. In a way, it's like trusting a internet provider. It shouldn't be much of an issue though. I can set it to transfer excess funds to another wallet, in the off chance that it does get hacked. As for security, I'm learning. I mostly wanted to run it on our host for development and testing. I might try setting it up on a home computer.
Abandon (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 06:03:39 AM

I'll take your advice. I'm still pretty novice at coding as it is, and I have another project in mind that would be easier, and that will let me better get the hang of things. Though I do like security, and making something bullet proof.
eric7

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:48:34 PM

I'd have to agree-- trusting a shared hosting environment with a Bitcoin wallet is a huge no-no. However, I personally wouldn't be worried about the hosting provider stealing your wallet-- I'd worry a lot more about the fact that it's a *shared hosting environment*. This means that your wallet is sitting on the same box that other people use. If there's ever a privilege escalation vulnerability in a piece of software on the machine (and trust me, there will be at some point. There's always going to be some time before they patch new exploits that come out), your funds are simply not safe.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:24:57 AM

What if your "server" does not have the private key? Meaning, it's just a bitcoind node that looks at transactions in the blockchain. The wallet.dat is a modified version (using pywallet or similar) so you only have the public keys.

Therefore, the server can't spend or steal coins. It can just look at incoming and outgoing transactions, basically updating your website in real time (as bitcoind gets live transactions in memory pool) or once a block is found.

Also, shared hosting usually does not have enough space (to store the blockchain). What is the minimum kind of server recommended to have bitcoind running?

For everyone else, I guess we'll have to stick to querying blockexplorer.com or blochchain.info with their APIs.

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:29:16 AM

What if your "server" does not have the private key? Meaning, it's just a bitcoind node that looks at transactions in the blockchain. The wallet.dat is a modified version (using pywallet or similar) so you only have the public keys.

Therefore, the server can't spend or steal coins. It can just look at incoming and outgoing transactions, basically updating your website in real time (as bitcoind gets live transactions in memory pool) or once a block is found.

Also, shared hosting usually does not have enough space. What is the minimum kind of server recommended to have bitcoind running?

For everyone else, I guess we'll have to stick to querying blockexplorer.com or blochchain.info with their APIs.

I would recommend using armory for that. Since it uses a deterministic wallet, it would be better suited for this type of security.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:31:21 AM

I'm guessing the OP wanted something for his website, like a game website or some gambling website. I would want something that at least updated itself on how much bitcoin there is at a particular address, or the details of such transactions.

I understand I can just pull off this information from blockexplorer or blockchain, but would want to also be able to do this on my own bitcoind.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: