Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:45:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Funding Solar Energy with Bitcoin - a solid state & silicon based economy?  (Read 2419 times)
DangerZ (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 07:09:34 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2017, 07:43:57 PM by DangerZ

I think  op is actually asking everyone to support him in this project. he is inviting everyone to become partners of his project. He can buy solar panels with fiat money. May be he doesnt have that much fund in fiat to spend . Thats why he is proposing this idea. Collecting bitcoins is easy than transfering fiat money . Thats why I think he is asking to fund in bitcoins. Anyway it is a good project if  executed properly. But I dont think anyone will invest bitcoins just like that. Who knows the op will pay the income generated from the shares.It will be better if you post this in your local forum .There you may get some investors who can actually physically see the progress of the mining site.

You got it. I have actually been running this project since 2014 and in June 2016we financed a 15kW solar plant to power a school using Bitcoin. we chose to focus on Bitcoin as it is much easier to deal with accross borders than fiat. Those Bitcoiners are now getting BTC income. We have raised 14BTC for our latest project to solar power a tyre recycling factory in South Africa. Invitation on this post is for people to visit our website www.thesunexchange.com and see what they think they would be willing, if anything, to put into electrifying Africa on the basis that they will receive a BTC revenue stream at an IRR of 10% pegged to the South African Rand.
I am looking at your proposal from an entrepreneur point of view and being versatile with Africa, can say it has got some prospect and business model that is adoptable elsewhere. But bulk of what I feel should be a would-be-investor's concerns are:
1. the sunexchange, I see it's a SA company, they are middlemen here, what tells that one can trust them with one's Bitcoins, not just for a year but decades;
2. where exactly is your market, Africa is a vast land and you can't do business in some areas;
3. is there a standing agreement and contract with any solar company;
4. what is thesunexchange to you?

1. The Sun Exchange SA is wholly owned by The Sun Exchange Inc. a USA Delaware Corp. The trust is earned through successful project delivery and subsequent press coverage: http://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/tech/solar-powered-money/. No bitcoins are held by The Sun Exchange, they are immediatly sold on digital currency exchanges and the fiat is used to buy physical solar cells. You can check and see the payments made into the wallet address for the latest project https://thesunexchange.com/tyre-corporation-45-kw-solar-pv-plant here: https://blockchain.info/address/16aMgHgd6wBQVHjoaUEsEeRqe89aX2sgzq
2. Funders for project are distributed globally. Projects are presently localized to Southern and Eastern Africa.
3. There is a framework agreement between The Sun Exchange and international solar installation company Soventix. The user of the solar cells purchased through The Sun Exchange is under a lease agreement with the Sun Exchange's Users.
4. It is everything to me.

Thank you for considering my proposal,

Abe

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DangerZ (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 07:28:36 PM

If I remember some old calculations I did a few years ago, I don't think it is possible at all to maintain the Bitcoin network and have it run in an efficient manner, AND make your money back on the entire system. I don't think that's even possible with the recent advancements in SP tech.

I'm going to go over franky1's calculations and compare them to what I've written down, but they seem to be similar.

But solar cells create energy. So a Bitcoin once mined can bring into being something that creates a positive energy balance. A Bitcoin is not locked in as a solar cell, it finances it into being and then the Bitcoin gets retraded and used elsewhere, perhaps to finance more solar cells.

At a $1000 BTC price, one Bitcoin can be used to finance 1 kW of solar power plant. If that solar plant were to be installed in sunny South Africa, 1kW of solar panels will generate 1800kWh of electricity per year, In this case, the energy it took to mine that Bitcoin (666kWh) will be paid back in just under 18 weeks. Given that a solar panel will carry on generating clean electricity for at least 25 years, a single Bitcoin used to fund solar energy actually creates a positive balance of 400000kWh (400MWh) of clean sun-powered electricity over the system’s lifespan.
DangerZ (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 07:35:32 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2017, 07:51:14 PM by DangerZ

and so it begins

a middle man holds the bags of funds. not much of it ends up actually doing anything in reality but being handled by the middleman.

the middle man will show lots of pictures they googled and lots of sob stories of needs for funding.

No one willing to throw money at such a project huh? What about $9 bilion on just one plant in the sahara which is the first of many? https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/feb/04/morocco-to-switch-on-first-phase-of-worlds-largest-solar-plant

the morocco project is not a "sun exchange" project, its just a google search he found.
for a guy living in africa, seems he is quoting a UK media source

Dangerz
yes countries are getting into solar.. thats not a doubt.
but it doesnt legitimize your business.

nor does your proposal explain why bitcoiners should get involved as you fail to explain(beyond the gimmick of your internal switcheroo pretend) how bitcoin would actually become part of africans daily lives.

I am from the school of thought that Bitcoin:

A) is not just a store of value but a tool to be used as a transfer of value... as a currency.
B) Works better then fiat for getting money from Country A to Country B.
C) The more people use it and transactions done with it and use cases of Bitcoin are found, will legitimatly increase the price of bitcoin due to demand, rather than through speculation.

The Sun Exchange is not pertaining to be doing anything fancy with Bitcoin other than enabling realtime global solar revenue distribution from micro-investments - not feasible without Bitcoin.

The ramifications of this application of Bitcoin for Africa is measurable and significant. Bringing Bitcoin into Africa for any purpose,  but in this case to fund solar projects, increases local exchange liquidity, lowering the BTC price. I already explained how many Africans can not open bank accounts, and Bitcoin is a great alternative. It is catching on. BitPesa just raised $2.5 million to expand their intra Africa Bitcoin Excahnge.  

You can read some of the legitimate press coverage on The Sun Exchange projects here: www.moneyweb.co.za/news/tech/solar-powered-money/ here http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/751/150176.html and refer to this award of recognition for helping evolve the Bitcoin industry: http://www.fintech-africa.com/blog/feed/the-sun-exchange-named-best-african-blockchain-bitcoin-company-2016-at-the-african-fintech-awards-2016
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 07:56:46 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2017, 08:11:27 PM by franky1

No bitcoins are held by The Sun Exchange, they are immediatly sold on digital currency exchanges and the fiat is used to buy physical solar cells.

so this was my initial point from the start.

its not a bitcoin project.

its just a fiat kickstarter

where is the proposal of expanding bitcoins circulation in africa.

your initial proposal was wrote that its not just another fiat project. but a project to grow bitcoins utility in africa and get people using bitcoin more.
i was envisioning that you used the solar panels for mining.
i was envisioning that you paid the labourers installing the solar panels in bitcoin.
i was envisioning that the solar panels done something bitcoin related.

i then envisioned that someone investing 1btc would eventually get back 2btc after 20 year lease.

but none of those are what you are doing.
you have yet to show how its a real bitcoin enabling proposal and not just a 'we accept bitcoin' payment method

something just didnt seem right.

i tried to keep my sceptical side away. and get you to re-evaluate your business plan as it just didnt seem right.
then when you kept replying. more things started to fall apart. where even now your limiting how involved you are in bitcoin by saying as soon as its handed to you its converted to fiat.

its just not sitting right. either you over emphasised bitcoins involvement instead of just saying "we accept bitcoin" or something is not right about the whole proposal

the reason your topic struck my attention was for the same reasons as the 'victorycoin' guy. i just dont politely introduce myself.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 08:09:59 PM

No bitcoins are held by The Sun Exchange, they are immediatly sold on digital currency exchanges and the fiat is used to buy physical solar cells.

your initial proposal was wrote that its not just another fiat project. but a project to grow bitcoins utility in africa and get people using bitcoin more.
i was envisioning that you paid the labourers installing the solar panels in bitcoin.

i then envisioned that someone investing 1btc would eventually get back 2btc after 20 year lease.

you have yet to show how its a real bitcoin enabling proposal and not just a 'we accept bitcoin' payment method

i tried to keep my sceptical side away. and get you to re-evaluate your business plan as it just didnt seem right.
then when you kept replying. more things started to fall apart. where even now your limiting how involved you are in bitcoin by saying as soon as its handed to you its converted to fiat.

its just not sitting right. either you over emphasised bitcoins involvement instead of just saying "we accept bitcoin" or something is not right about the whole proposal

Wait, what?

From the OP:

Solar powering Africa with Bitcoin

The solar energy crowd-selling platform www.TheSunExchange.com, which won 'Best Bitcoin and Blockchain Business in Africa' in 2016, has taken the international remittance properties of Bitcoin and applied it into solving Africa's energy crisis.
DangerZ (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 08:53:02 PM

the reason your topic struck my attention was for the same reasons as the 'victorycoin' guy. i just dont politely introduce myself.

Well you envisioned wrong then didn't you Franky! You can be skeptical all you wish, but the business plan is already being implemented and proving successful. One school solar electrified so far and now electrifying a tyre factory.

The purpose of my OP wasnt actually to discuss the ins and outs of the business model but to open a discussion about how financing (solar) silicon chips with (mining) silicon chips is leading to a solid state economy - the solar bitcoin, to replace the petro-dollar. Many places in Africa don't yet have electricity, and the next project we are launching is to provide electricity to 800 individuals that upto now have been living on kerosene. They will get state of the art solar with storage micro-grids before ever been connected to a fossil fuel powered utility network. Rich Californians are whacking down big bucks for the transitioning to solar and storage. These rural communities will leap-frog straight to sustainable clean energy systems. Bitcoin is easier to manage than fiat for funding these projects so we ask our users to buy bitcoin to send us the payments instead of sending us fiat.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 08:59:55 PM

Well you envisioned wrong then didn't you Franky! You can be skeptical all you wish, but the business plan is already being implemented and proving successful. One school solar electrified so far and now electrifying a tyre factory.

The purpose of my OP wasnt actually to discuss the ins and outs of the business model but to open a discussion about how financing (solar) silicon chips with (mining) silicon chips is leading to a solid state economy - the solar bitcoin, to replace the petro-dollar. Many places in Africa don't yet have electricity, and the next project we are launching is to provide electricity to 800 individuals that upto now have been living on kerosene. They will get state of the art solar with storage micro-grids before ever been connected to a fossil fuel powered utility network. Rich Californians are whacking down big bucks for the transitioning to solar and storage. These rural communities will leap-frog straight to sustainable clean energy systems. Bitcoin is easier to manage than fiat for funding these projects so we ask our users to buy bitcoin to send us the payments instead of sending us fiat.

The sum must've already sat over the strawberry farm: https://thesunexchange.com/stellenbosch-waldorf-school-15kw-solar-pv-plant

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 09:07:10 PM

the solar bitcoin, to replace the petro-dollar.
^ here right here ^

thats what got my attention initially and peaked my interest
i THOUGHT your business was doing something revolutionary.. like paying installeres in bitcoin. letting the school earn bitcoin with the excess electric it doesnt use. where that electric 'revenue' was in bitcoin form to allow the school to spend locally and drive bitcoin as a usable currency in africa.

turns out as soon as bitcoin is sent.. its converted to fiat.. and ends up being just a fiat project that happens to accept bitcoin..
where the school never touches bitcoin.. and the initial american investor wont get his full bitcoin back in 20 years.

its like i thought i seen a spark of something useful.. but wanted to dig deep and test it out.
but the more i dug things fell apart.

all i see now is a fiat project that has a 'we accept bitcoin' payment method for convenience.
something just didnt seem right..

im guessing you were just overselling the sales pitch.

separate note:
The sum must've already sat over the strawberry farm: https://thesunexchange.com/stellenbosch-waldorf-school-15kw-solar-pv-plant

only 8kw an hour. (based on 12 hours light)

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
DangerZ (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 09:43:13 PM

https://i.imgur.com/TRYLgC7.png

Exceeded the forecast output for a 15kW solar plant in January for the area by about 10%. You can check using this solar PV estimation tool: http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps4/pvest.php?map=africa Let me know if you need a hand using it.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 09:44:39 PM

[/quote]

Yes, but the newly built tires are spinning, connected to a generator creating even more power.
DangerZ (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 09:52:44 PM

the solar bitcoin, to replace the petro-dollar.
^ here right here ^

thats what got my attention initially and peaked my interest
i THOUGHT your business was doing something revolutionary.. like paying installeres in bitcoin. letting the school earn bitcoin with the excess electric it doesnt use. where that electric 'revenue' was in bitcoin form to allow the school to spend locally and drive bitcoin as a usable currency in africa.

turns out as soon as bitcoin is sent.. its converted to fiat.. and ends up being just a fiat project that happens to accept bitcoin..
where the school never touches bitcoin.. and the initial american investor wont get his full bitcoin back in 20 years.

its like i thought i seen a spark of something useful.. but wanted to dig deep and test it out.
but the more i dug things fell apart.

all i see now is a fiat project that has a 'we accept bitcoin' payment method for convenience.
something just didnt seem right..

im guessing you were just overselling the sales pitch.

separate note:

Sorry I don't have time to talk to you any more, people are sending Bitcoin to me to buy solar cells so that they can earn inflation beating returns whilst electrifying Africa. It keeps me busy. It has been emotional.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 10:01:36 PM

Sorry I don't have time to talk to you any more, people are sending Bitcoin to me to buy solar cells so that they can earn inflation beating returns whilst electrifying Africa. It keeps me busy. It has been emotional.

no problem

if only your project wasnt just converting bitcoin instantly to fiat. i would have thrown a few in your direction..
but my spidey sense was tingling too much.

lets hope next year you make a subsidiary where the african community get bitcoin for doing some part of your projects to get bitcoin circulating in africa... then my interest would peak without the spidey senses tingling. and start to see something really inspiring

DangerZ (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 10:11:52 PM

no problem

if only your project wasnt just converting bitcoin instantly to fiat. i would have thrown a few in your direction..

lets hope next year you make a subsidiary where the african community get bitcoin for doing some part of your projects to get bitcoin circulating in africa... then my interest would peak without the spidey senses tingling. and start to see something really inspiring

Well in all our projects, we pay out in Bitcoin to people that pay in ZAR, so we are kind of a hybrid Bitcoin Exchange. Some 8 year olds at the school used their pocket money to invest in their own schools solar plant and they are now earning bitcoin income for the next 20 years. They will grow up with and using Bitcoin. Maybe that is more in the direction you envisaged. Or Maybe not. Good night.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 10:18:17 PM

no problem

Well in all our projects, we pay out in Bitcoin to people that pay in ZAR, so we are kind of a hybrid Bitcoin Exchange. Some 8 year olds at the school used their pocket money to invest in their own schools solar plant and they are now earning bitcoin income for the next 20 years. They will grow up with and using Bitcoin. Maybe that is more in the direction you envisaged. Or Maybe not. Good night.

I now get it! The banana company doesn't keep any bananas in its coffer, but accepts coconuts to pay out bananas (not kept in its coffer) to each and every banana company investor. How close and I? <forgive me if tires and strawberries would've been better examples>
DangerZ (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 07:22:32 AM

no problem

I now get it! The banana company doesn't keep any bananas in its coffer, but accepts coconuts to pay out bananas (not kept in its coffer) to each and every banana company investor. How close and I? <forgive me if tires and strawberries would've been better examples>

The banana company wants to reduce its electricity running costs as it is paying Coal Power Inc. exorbitant amounts of money. Banana Company goes to The Sun Exchange and says:

'Hello The Sun Exchange! We are a banana company, we don't want to be generating our own electricity, we need to use our money to grow and store bananas, it is what we are really good at! Otherwise we would use our money to build a solar array to save on energy bills. Can you, The Sun Exchange, raise funds for our solar array, and then we will give the money that we would of given to Coal Fire Inc to the people that paid for our solar array, provided they can give us a discount compared to what we are paying now?'

To which the Sun Exchange replies 'Sure we can! That is what we do!'.

Sceptical bystander A says, 'Hang on a minute, if banana company is so great, why don't they just go to the bank and take out a loan'?

To which The Sun Exchange replied, 'Oh don't you know? Debt is really expensive in Africa, and although sustainable development for Africa is a top international priority, global development banks are not lending to small and medium sized businesses in Africa as the projects are too small and they are really just interested in helping multinational corporates set up shop here as they are all in each others pockets. So The Sun Exchange has been set up to fill in this missing funding gap.'

Kind of less Sceptical bystander A nodded in agreement and added 'So if I bought some solar panels for banana company, what would be my equivalent rate of return?'  '10% IRR.', The Sun Exchange answered.

'10%IRR?' No longer Sceptical bystander A said, 'Why that is better than keeping my fiat money in a bank! And less risky than keeping my money in this Bitcoin thing that I don't really understand that well, that is brilliant'

Scepitcal bystander B buts in and says, 'Woah woah woah... hang on....  The Sun Exchange, you call yourself a Bitcoin company but you are just using Bitcoin as a payment system! That is not revolutionary! I smell something really fishy here!'.

To which The Sun Exchange tuts, lets our a little sigh and says 'We have done everything we can to tailor the buying experience for people that use Bitcoin, and we are encouraging its use so that the bitcoin ecosystem grows which is good for you if you invest in bitcoin. We offer live BTC price tracking during our crowd-sales to make sure BTC bids are reflective of their true value and we are working on some pretty cool features to increase visibility and autonomy on rental payouts that would be impossible with fiat. We believe that bitcoin is to the world of money what solar energy is to the world of energy.... distributed & democratic and by merging these two radical technological inventions together, we think we can make the world better and less reliant on fossil fuels and conventional banking systems. We know there is some awesome things that can be done with things like 21Coin chips for mining with surplus solar power, and we will implement those kinds of things when we are ready to do so. No one built Rome in a day. Now stop getting so stroppy at strangers and let us get on with doing stuff we love.'

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 08:20:21 AM

no problem

The banana company wants to reduce its electricity running costs as it is paying Coal Power Inc. exorbitant amounts of money. Banana Company goes to The Sun Exchange and says:

'Hello The Sun Exchange! We are a banana company, we don't want to be generating our own electricity, we need to use our money to grow and store bananas, it is what we are really good at! Otherwise we would use our money to build a solar array to save on energy bills. Can you, The Sun Exchange, raise funds for our solar array, and then we will give the money that we would of given to Coal Fire Inc to the people that paid for our solar array, provided they can give us a discount compared to what we are paying now?'

Sceptical bystander A says, 'Hang on a minute, if banana company is so great, why don't they just go to the bank and take out a loan'?

To which The Sun Exchange replied, 'Oh don't you know? Debt is really expensive in Africa, and although sustainable development for Africa is a top international priority, global development banks are not lending to small and medium sized businesses in Africa as the projects are too small and they are really just interested in helping multinational corporates set up shop here as they are all in each others pockets. So The Sun Exchange has been set up to fill in this missing funding gap.'

Kind of less Sceptical bystander A nodded in agreement and added 'So if I bought some solar panels for banana company, what would be my equivalent rate of return?'  '10% IRR.', The Sun Exchange answered.

'10%IRR?' No longer Sceptical bystander A said, 'Why that is better than keeping my fiat money in a bank! And less risky than keeping my money in this Bitcoin thing that I don't really understand that well, that is brilliant'

Scepitcal bystander B buts in and says, 'Woah woah woah... hang on....  The Sun Exchange, you call yourself a Bitcoin company but you are just using Bitcoin as a payment system! That is not revolutionary! I smell something really fishy here!'.

To which The Sun Exchange tuts, lets our a little sigh and says 'We have done everything we can to tailor the buying experience for people that use Bitcoin, and we are encouraging its use so that the bitcoin ecosystem grows which is good for you if you invest in bitcoin. We offer live BTC price tracking during our crowd-sales to make sure BTC bids are reflective of their true value and we are working on some pretty cool features to increase visibility and autonomy on rental payouts that would be impossible with fiat. We believe that bitcoin is to the world of money what solar energy is to the world of energy.... distributed & democratic and by merging these two radical technological inventions together, we think we can make the world better and less reliant on fossil fuels and conventional banking systems. We know there is some awesome things that can be done with things like 21Coin chips for mining with surplus solar power, and we will implement those kinds of things when we are ready to do so. No one built Rome in a day. Now stop getting so stroppy at strangers and let us get on with doing stuff we love.'

I think that my banana and coconut analogy confused you, bud. On one hand you stated that no bitcoins are held by The Sun Exchange, they are immediately sold on digital currency exchanges, then followed up we pay out in Bitcoin to people that pay in ZAR, we = The Sun Exchange. So, if The Sun Exchange liquidates all its bitcoins as soon as they get them, how the hell does The Sun Exchange pay out bitcoins dividends to those who paid in ZAR or bananas or coconuts.

Apologies for the analogy I put forth earlier, forgetting how hot it can get there in Africa sometimes affecting the brain.
DangerZ (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 09:43:28 AM

no problem

Kind of less Sceptical bystander A nodded in agreement and added 'So if I bought some solar panels for banana company, what would be my equivalent rate of return?'  '10% IRR.', The Sun Exchange answered.

Scepitcal bystander B buts in and says, 'Woah woah woah... hang on....  The Sun Exchange, you call yourself a Bitcoin company but you are just using Bitcoin as a payment system! That is not revolutionary! I smell something really fishy here!'.

I think that my banana and coconut analogy confused you, bud. On one hand you stated that no bitcoins are held by The Sun Exchange, they are immediately sold on digital currency exchanges, then followed up we pay out in Bitcoin to people that pay in ZAR, we = The Sun Exchange. So, if The Sun Exchange liquidates all its bitcoins as soon as they get them, how the hell does The Sun Exchange pay out bitcoins dividends to those who paid in ZAR or bananas or coconuts.

Apologies for the analogy I put forth earlier, forgetting how hot it can get there in Africa sometimes affecting the brain.

The electricity user pays The Sun Exchange either in Bitcoin, or, in ZAR which is then used to re-purchase Bitcoin through the partner digital currency exchange. Returns are pegged to ZAR not BTC. Not everyone in Bitcoin land Buys and Holds. It does have other uses.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: