Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:31:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ISP disconnected my internet because of mining  (Read 1385 times)
Thoraxe375 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 01:30:41 PM

Ok so here's my issue I live in Manitoba, Canada and realistically there's only 2 ISP's MTS and Shaw. I currently have MTS and a few days ago whilst I had stopped mining due to not having the right setup at the moment to keep everything cool my ISP decided to disconnect my Internet. Seeing as this has never happened before I called MTS. After waiting for an hour and talking to level 2 Tech Support they informed me that my IP address was flagged by their system and was disconnected because their system believed I was performing a DDoS attack. This all happened once i took my miner offline after 3 days of hashing. So my question is are there any ways where I can setup my miner (Antminer S3) so that it doesn't flag my IP as doing a DDoS attack and my lose my internet connection again.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2017, 04:31:51 PM

I'm fairly certain your IP was flagged for a different reason than mining.
Maybe your computer is infected with some kind of malware and is part of a botnet?
You can't really be attacking by yourself so it doesn't really make sense to flag your IP.
U2

Activity: 676
Merit: 503

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 04:35:50 PM

It sounds like you probably had a virus on another system or something else other than your miner. Your miner would never be able to perform a DDoS attack, just like it couldn't surf the Web and watch YouTube videos. They have one specific thing they can do, and that would be mining.

I would call them back and ask which computer/system it was and ask if they have any proof at all that it was actually done by you or if it was done remotely.
Thoraxe375 (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 11:51:09 PM

there are only 2 other computers on my network and i have been through each of them with a fine tooth comb i even looked into the other devices like the two cell phones and the KODI box as well as my Pi-Hole and nothing. When i spoke to them about the flag their system analyzes the traffic coming in and going out from my IP and the traffic was consistent with a DDoS attack and further evidence points to the miner because since having the miner disconnected i haven't had my internet cut off. I have changed nothing except disconnect the miner from the network and that has my internet back up and running fine.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2017, 04:01:55 AM

there are only 2 other computers on my network and i have been through each of them with a fine tooth comb i even looked into the other devices like the two cell phones and the KODI box as well as my Pi-Hole and nothing. When i spoke to them about the flag their system analyzes the traffic coming in and going out from my IP and the traffic was consistent with a DDoS attack and further evidence points to the miner because since having the miner disconnected i haven't had my internet cut off. I have changed nothing except disconnect the miner from the network and that has my internet back up and running fine.

Guess it's time to speak to customer retention or switch ISPs.
Thoraxe375 (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 05:24:49 AM

ya switching ISP's is not an option i save a bunch of money on my cell bill by having them as my ISP plus Shaw Cable has a limit of 1 TB which i would go over in a flash with the amount of stuff i do on my laptop and on my network in general was more looking for a way that instead of using TCP i can use UDP instead the flagging system only monitors TCP traffic
ProfessionalGoogler

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 06:09:39 AM

Use a good proxy/VPN/vps and problem solved.  Wink
Thoraxe375 (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 01:04:25 PM

any recommendations for a good proxy?
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 02:59:43 AM

I use expressvpn in canada, you can install them on the router.

I am also in MB, on mts.
At one time I had 30 miners running for a few months.
It was not the miner that set them off, could of been a hack, I'd ask for more details, tell them you scanned and fixed anything (say you found something onw ifes pc etc. or some lie so they give up) and they should reactivate you.

The mts guys are tools. hate dealing with them, but shaw has data caps....

Edit:
didn't see post that i was back on.

Vpn for sure. likely one of their people being a knob, not even sure you can install malware on a miner lol
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2017, 09:22:49 PM

Just came across this
figured it may answer your question

https://torrentfreak.com/popular-kodi-addon-exodus-turned-users-into-a-ddos-botnet-170203/
0xfff

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2017, 08:11:17 PM

You should call your isp and ask them for the ip that they thought you were ddosing. If it is not the ip of the pool you were mining on then it was not from mining but probably a virus.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: