Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:52:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to BitCoin and Iphone 5 as well  (Read 840 times)
BTC_TR (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:31:33 AM

Hello,
I'm new to these two subjects. I wonder, is it safe to use my device anonymously, without being identified ? As I understood, it is not possible to use a Tor on IOS.
I'll be grateful to anybody who can shed light on that issue.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitcoinPimp

Activity: 24

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:37:17 AM

Hello,
I'm new to these two subjects. I wonder, is it safe to use my device anonymously, without being identified ? As I understood, it is not possible to use a Tor on IOS.
I'll be grateful to anybody who can shed light on that issue.

You can indeed use TOR on iPhone. With "Covert Browser".

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/covert-browser/id477438328?mt=8

Works like a charm for me. It even changes your TOR routing once per like 3-5 minutes which makes it look like you are jumping IP addresses like a rabbit.
BTC_TR (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:57:13 AM

You can indeed use TOR on iPhone. With "Covert Browser".

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/covert-browser/id477438328?mt=8

Works like a charm for me. It even changes your TOR routing once per like 3-5 minutes which makes it look like you are jumping IP addresses like a rabbit.

Thank you very much ! But, I talked to Tor support and was told by them that it is unsafe to use iphone and they can't guarantee anonymity. I'm really new in that sphere of smartphones. Is it really possible to be secured on that device - from Apple first of all ?
BitcoinPimp

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 08:34:01 AM

Thank you very much ! But, I talked to Tor support and was told by them that it is unsafe to use iphone and they can't guarantee anonymity. I'm really new in that sphere of smartphones. Is it really possible to be secured on that device - from Apple first of all ?

Tor support may not been aware of the existence of the App i sent you link to. So you could contact the Tor support again and send them link to that App and ask if they have been testing it or something?

As far as it goes for my own usage, seems the Covert Browser works very good on my iPhone 4S. Seems to cover my true IP 100% so far.

But then again, A hard-core security-expert would most likely tell you that in order to be 100% safe, you should not connect to internet at all. LOL.  Roll Eyes
BTC_TR (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 08:42:04 AM

Tor support may not been aware of the existence of the App i sent you link to. So you could contact the Tor support again and send them link to that App and ask if they have been testing it or something?

As far as it goes for my own usage, seems the Covert Browser works very good on my iPhone 4S. Seems to cover my true IP 100% so far.

But then again, A hard-core security-expert would most likely tell you that in order to be 100% safe, you should not connect to internet at all. LOL.  Roll Eyes

Here is a quotation from their answer :

Unfortunately there is no support for the Tor software on the iPhone.
> This is
> because no matter what software you use, Apple still has access to your
> real
> location all the time. This means there is no known of anonymizing
> iPhone web
> traffic right now.

Is there any solution, being connected to internet ?
BitcoinPimp

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 08:56:19 AM

hmmm i see. I guess they might be right then. Now I suddenly got a bit insecure myself regarding the Covert Browser, if the answer you got from them is true.  Huh
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 09:09:13 AM

Every 'smart' phone is closed source to some degree and so, insecure. The least closed would be an Android running Replicant with only the modem closed, next would probably be a Galaxy running Cyanogenmod. iphone is pretty much a closed and controlled shop but is if not rooted then possibly more secure... just less private.

It depends what privacy you want and what you think is the biggest threat. Personally if I had bought an iphone anyway I would trust Apple but hesitate to trust the apps.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
BTC_TR (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 09:35:46 AM

Every 'smart' phone is closed source to some degree and so, insecure. The least closed would be an Android running Replicant with only the modem closed, next would probably be a Galaxy running Cyanogenmod. iphone is pretty much a closed and controlled shop but is if not rooted then possibly more secure... just less private.

It depends what privacy you want and what you think is the biggest threat. Personally if I had bought an iphone anyway I would trust Apple but hesitate to trust the apps.

So, up to You, how to secure yourself, dealing with bitcoin and using Iphone 5 ? Or, maybe, it is worth not to deal with bitcoin, using Iphone ?
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 10:09:50 AM

So, up to You, how to secure yourself, dealing with bitcoin and using Iphone 5 ? Or, maybe, it is worth not to deal with bitcoin, using Iphone ?

My gut feeling is that security is good on an unrooted iphone but privacy is poor. If you are worried about someone hacking your phone then the iphone is probably good. If you are worried about your taxman looking at your phone and then billing you then it is probably a bad.
This is my gut feeling regards closed source things.

So the answer is - it depends. You are in the hands of Apple, you either trust them or you don't, it's not for me to say. Personally I trust them but perhaps other people would be more paranoid that somehow Apple might delete the Bitcoin app from your phone somehow (possible?) - does that happen if an app is pulled from iTunes?

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 10:11:37 AM

Buying an iphone today looks like a fail to me

BTC_TR (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 10:28:09 AM

Thanks to all who answered. If I'll decide to deal with bitcoin on iphone - how to start technically ? How to install a client ? Do I need some application(s) to be preinstalled ?
BTC_TR (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:07:10 PM

Can somebody explain to dummy how to download and install to IPhone 5 an official bitcoin client? Do I need any applications to be preinstalled? I tried but havn't succeed.
BitcoinPimp

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 11:12:47 AM

Can somebody explain to dummy how to download and install to IPhone 5 an official bitcoin client? Do I need any applications to be preinstalled? I tried but havn't succeed.

Apple banned all "local based" bitcoin wallets from their app store. Sad

The only wallet that works good as far as i have tested on iPhone is the online web wallet from https://blockchain.info/wallet/ web-site. They also have their own iPhone app with integrated web-browser to use the online wallet with.
BTC_TR (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:22:43 AM

Apple banned all "local based" bitcoin wallets from their app store. Sad

The only wallet that works good as far as i have tested on iPhone is the online web wallet from https://blockchain.info/wallet/ web-site. They also have their own iPhone app with integrated web-browser to use the online wallet with.
Thank You a lot! But to start with I need first of all an application,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.8.1/bitcoin-0.8.1-macosx.dmg/download
and here I can't download it.
BTC_TR (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:38:23 PM

May somebody help me with that issue Huh
I can't start because I can't download and install http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.8.1/bitcoin-0.8.1-macosx.dmg/download !!!

Nerzahd

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:48:21 PM

I can't start because I can't download and install http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.8.1/bitcoin-0.8.1-macosx.dmg/download !!!

You can't install that on your iphone.

14X95NYLXqczFjrBPqgTpkC7AWmpyZrYEU
BTC_TR (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:00:34 PM

You can't install that on your iphone.

So, what is instead? How to start with ?
Nerzahd

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:05:41 PM

You can only install apps from the appstore. Try blockchain.

14X95NYLXqczFjrBPqgTpkC7AWmpyZrYEU
BTC_TR (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:19:22 PM

OK, thank You, I'll try it when the website will be up.
BTC_TR (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:14:08 AM

OK, thank You, I'll try it when the website will be up.

How to verify email address on blockchain ?
Succeeded to confirm phone no' by SMS, but not email .
Thank you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: