Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:51:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  
Author Topic: This is the thread where you discuss free market, americans and libertarianism  (Read 33824 times)
FreedomEqualsRiches

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:25:44 PM

Not at all, an open source method and decentralization are clearly superior. But the way An-Cap is envisioned now, I'm afraid will lead to corporate abuse, religious dominance, and force the poor into collectivization or become corporate slaves. Or worse degenerate into a gangland. Anyhow individual freedom is lost. And this is the beauty of open source, one can improve. But this can be done only by abandoning dogma, and truly addressing problems.
So far all political ideologies are extremely buggy (some more than others).

Just as communists were naive that the proletariat will do no wrong (or if they do, their peers will correct them), capitalists seem to believe that in a free market corporations will do no wrong (or if they do they will be corrected by the free market). Things don't work as on paper in real life.

Some what what I think now. I just don't trust in my fellow man at all... And for that reason I prefer to have a state...

So you trust your fellow men when they form a state with a monopoly on violence?

Yes because there is lot more of us...

Having large groups to help impose order does not require a state.
but to work efficient and protect customers/citizens it will have to behave like one.

By denying them economic freedoms like the ability to run a business out of their residence, and so forth?  You could not be more wrong.

BTC: 1M7gCkPUQe76pAs4Ya6wM3ihqKHKA1TYB8
LTC: LYYC67qyVXnbvv11mYzcPREhVRgkmA8zz3
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:30:15 PM

i simply have preferences. one of those preferences is that i would prefer to live in a society where people do not initiate or threaten to innate the use of violence against each other. I would prefer to live in a society where people respect each other. I would prefer to live in a society where people are allowed to pursue their own goals so long as they are not harming each other. If you feel differently and would prefer to live in a society that does not conform to these ideals than i respect that. I do not claim that you are in some way wrong and that i am in some way right, we just have different preferences.
yeah me too... but its never gonna happen, what you is describing is a utopian fairy tail land.

come back to reality...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 04:31:59 PM

i simply have preferences. one of those preferences is that i would prefer to live in a society where people do not initiate or threaten to innate the use of violence against each other. I would prefer to live in a society where people respect each other. I would prefer to live in a society where people are allowed to pursue their own goals so long as they are not harming each other. If you feel differently and would prefer to live in a society that does not conform to these ideals than i respect that. I do not claim that you are in some way wrong and that i am in some way right, we just have different preferences.
yeah me too... but its never gonna happen, what you is describing is a utopian fairy tail land.

come back to reality...
But there is no reality, it's all in your head, right?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:34:09 PM

come back to reality...
yup, but i choose to call it reality. because its so much more fun then floating around in the nothingness/maybe-something-ness.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 04:41:12 PM

come back to reality...
yup, but i choose to call it reality. because its so much more fun then floating around in the nothingness/maybe-something-ness.
Well, if it's all in your head, where do you get off telling people that their reality is "fairy tales"?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:45:59 PM

come back to reality...

I never made a claim that this society will ever exist so how could you call anything i said utopian? i simply expressed what are my preferences nothing more nothing less. If a sufficient number of the other people around me begin to share my preferences to the point that it creates the sort of society i wish i lived in than great. But even if i knew as a point of fact that this would never happen it still wouldn't change my preferences.

i really dont understand you. Even if we accept for the sake of discussion than an ancap society could never function, so we dont even have to say its utopian for the sake of discussion lets say its technically imposable and provably so. why on earth would you expect even this to cause me to alter my preference for non-aggression?

you statists twist my brain into knots

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:47:40 PM

come back to reality...
Well, if it's all in your head, where do you get off telling people that their reality is "fairy tales"?
this is not relevant for the discussion. are you giving up?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 04:50:49 PM

come back to reality...
this is not relevant for the discussion. are you giving up?
Nope, just trying to keep you honest. You call what we want "fairy tales," and then tell us to "come back to reality," but if there is no reality, you've not really made an argument, have you?

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:54:06 PM

why on earth would you expect even this to cause me to alter my preference for non-aggression?
because aggression can sometimes be a means to self preservation.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:09:52 PM

why on earth would you expect even this to cause me to alter my preference for non-aggression?
because aggression can sometimes be a means to self preservation.

Sure i agree with that statement, but it doesnt in any way rebut my previous statement.

I agree that there are circumstances where i would be willing to commit acts of aggression. As i said non-aggression is not an moral imperative for me, it is just one of my preferences. Sometimes stronger more pressing preferences over-ride that one. (i think this is where myrkul and myself part ways)

this still doesnt change the basic fact that generally speaking i prefer non-agression to the alternative.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 05:17:15 PM

I agree that there are circumstances where i would be willing to commit acts of aggression. As i said non-aggression is not an moral imperative for me, it is just one of my preferences. Sometimes stronger more pressing preferences over-ride that one. (i think this is where myrkul and myself part ways)

It is a moral imperative for me, but there are times when I would, for pragmatic reasons, violate someone's rights so as to prevent greater harm. Stealing a boat to save a drowning victim, for instance. The difference is, I would then attempt to compensate the boat owner for my theft, acknowledging that I have wronged him.

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:25:05 PM

It is a moral imperative for me, but there are times when I would, for pragmatic reasons, violate someone's rights so as to prevent greater harm. Stealing a boat to save a drowning victim, for instance. The difference is, I would then attempt to compensate the boat owner for my theft, acknowledging that I have wronged him.
oh my hero.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 06:32:24 PM

oh my hero.

That's a pretty good picture of me. Wink

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 07:10:44 PM

if it was illegal to drink water i think you would find a reason to do something illegal.

So, how many of these laws do you break every day:

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/denmark
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 07:17:21 PM

I'd wager none, since most of them are vehicle related, and he doesn't drive.

He might have worn a mask at some point.

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:25:36 PM

But how can you even break a law, after all, they're only "social constructs"?

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

We think so. These guys, however, believe laws are where morals come from.
FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:33:20 PM

We think so. These guys, however, believe laws are where morals come from.

Indeed.  There have been studies that indicate humans naturally empathize with the plight of others, unless indoctrinated not to.  Morality is essentially hard-wired into us, thus theft, assault, fraud, etc are all punishable offences pretty much across every human culture, and some offences even exist, in some form,  in more primitive primates.

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:36:55 PM

I think he'd make an ideal "Flag man" to warn horses of oncoming automobiles.  Grin

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 08:44:01 PM

yes those are the sorts of scenarios i was thinking of. So i guess we don't diverge there after all.

Lots of people would compare taxation to stealing the boat to save the drowning person. I.E. we need taxes to steal from a rich person to pay for food for people who are at risk of starving is sort of the same argument.

my argument is that in principal this is correct, it just so happens that these sorts of actions create bad incentives which cause more harm than good to the exact types of people you are trying to help. I like this because it turns a philosophical argument into a scientific one. The question of should we have a government to help the poor is a philosophical question i cant give an objectively valid answer to, fortunately the question of is the government capable of helping the poor can be assessed scientifically.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  

Jump to: