Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:49:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  
Author Topic: This is the thread where you discuss free market, americans and libertarianism  (Read 33829 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 07:11:22 PM

This seems to deny the "mine" behavior.  I like my lawnmower, and feel better knowing that no squatters have slept in my bed.  As to how I would know, my security company would have photos.
"Mine" is a recognition of scarcity. If you can conjure at will a lawnmower that is identical in every way to yours, can it be said to be scarce? As for the squatter, I agree that he did violate your property rights. He deprived you of the use of your property (regardless of the fact that you weren't, at the time, using it), so he should leave some additional compensation. But that is exactly why it is a bad comparison to IP. you're not being deprived of anything when someone uses your invention.

I am being deprived of my rightful slice of market share.
Hardly. Does Folgers deprive Starbucks of their "rightful slice of market share"? Or vice-versa?

The 2A can also be interpreted to mean that without individuals with arms, there is no free state.
But that's not the words they used. Words do matter, and they used "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." This implies a preexisting right which a law forbidding gun ownership would infringe upon.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FreedomEqualsRiches

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 07:26:45 PM

This seems to deny the "mine" behavior.  I like my lawnmower, and feel better knowing that no squatters have slept in my bed.  As to how I would know, my security company would have photos.
"Mine" is a recognition of scarcity. If you can conjure at will a lawnmower that is identical in every way to yours, can it be said to be scarce? As for the squatter, I agree that he did violate your property rights. He deprived you of the use of your property (regardless of the fact that you weren't, at the time, using it), so he should leave some additional compensation. But that is exactly why it is a bad comparison to IP. you're not being deprived of anything when someone uses your invention.

Hardly. Does Folgers deprive Starbucks of their "rightful slice of market share"? Or vice-versa?

In Canada, generic drug makers are not allowed to use the IP that big pharma made for 15 years after the the drug hits market.  If one has to spend many millions to develop something that can be exploited by someone else at almost zero cost, what incentive to invest in innovation?

BTC: 1M7gCkPUQe76pAs4Ya6wM3ihqKHKA1TYB8
LTC: LYYC67qyVXnbvv11mYzcPREhVRgkmA8zz3
FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 07:35:20 PM

Folgers v/s Starbucks?  You can do better.  How about M$ v/s Apple v/s Samsung?  Android v/s Apple?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 07:41:59 PM

In Canada, generic drug makers are not allowed to use the IP that big pharma made for 15 years after the the drug hits market.  If one has to spend many millions to develop something that can be exploited by someone else at almost zero cost, what incentive to invest in innovation?
You didn't answer the question.

Folgers v/s Starbucks?  You can do better.  How about M$ v/s Apple v/s Samsung?  Android v/s Apple?
Both companies provide coffee to consumers. And you still didn't answer the question.

However: There is powerful incentive to be first in the marketplace. The more complex your product, the longer it will take to reverse engineer it. That time period, from introduction to the first appearance of reverse-engineered copies, is your limited-term monopoly. Your main complaint seems to boil down to the argument that you don't consider that to be long enough, and we should arbitrarily set some additional time to artificially impose a monopoly.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 07:52:53 PM

In Canada, generic drug makers are not allowed to use the IP that big pharma made for 15 years after the the drug hits market.  If one has to spend many millions to develop something that can be exploited by someone else at almost zero cost, what incentive to invest in innovation?
You didn't answer the question.

Both companies provide coffee to consumers. And you still didn't answer the question.

However: There is powerful incentive to be first in the marketplace. The more complex your product, the longer it will take to reverse engineer it. That time period, from introduction to the first appearance of reverse-engineered copies, is your limited-term monopoly. Your main complaint seems to boil down to the argument that you don't consider that to be long enough, and we should arbitrarily set some additional time to artificially impose a monopoly.

Correct, I think it should be long enough to pay for R/D, implementation/production, marketing, plus a certain period of pure profit.

As far as coffee suppliers go, they both compete for market share, like car, wheat or phone providers.  As long as they leave each other's IP rights alone, all is good.  A new idea should be given the chance to provide profit for its developer, otherwise, if the developer has no chance for profit, why develop something in the first place?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 08:04:36 PM

Correct, I think it should be long enough to pay for R/D, implementation/production, marketing, plus a certain period of pure profit.
It is. If it is not, you're not charging enough for it during your monopoly period. Of course, that will increase the incentive to reverse-engineer and compete....

As far as coffee suppliers go, they both compete for market share, like car, wheat or phone providers.
And providers of your new invention. Of which group, for a time, anyway, you are the sole member.

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:09:21 PM

It is. If it is not, you're not charging enough for it during your monopoly period. Of course, that will increase the incentive to reverse-engineer and compete....

In the case of pharmaceuticals, and chip design, my monopoly period needs to be quite years long.  Some things take millions do develop, but once developed, take pennies reverse-engineer and produce.  This being the case, I need some sort of enforced guarantee that I will have the opportunity to generate a profit before some 2nd or 3rd party just hijacks it, and sells it without having to spend all the money I did.

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:13:11 PM

In the case of pharmaceuticals, and chip design, my monopoly period needs to be quite years long.  Some things take millions do develop, but once developed, take pennies reverse-engineer and produce.
funny! myrkul is killing people, by not giving incentives to people trying to save them.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 08:15:22 PM

In the case of pharmaceuticals, my monopoly period needs to be 7+ years long.  Some things take millions do develop, but once developed, take pennies to produce.
Then your profit margins once in production should be phenomenal, and you should be able to make up the R&D cost fairly quickly, if you're charging enough. As I said, if you're not making your money back, you're not charging enough.

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:15:33 PM

In the case of pharmaceuticals, and chip design, my monopoly period needs to be quite years long.  Some things take millions do develop, but once developed, take pennies reverse-engineer and produce.
funny! myrkul is killing people, by not giving incentives to people trying to save them.

Shouldn't you be busy planning acts of violence against Danish Cartoonists?

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:16:55 PM

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:17:25 PM

In the case of pharmaceuticals, my monopoly period needs to be 7+ years long.  Some things take millions do develop, but once developed, take pennies to produce.
Then your profit margins once in production should be phenomenal, and you should be able to make up the R&D cost fairly quickly, if you're charging enough. As I said, if you're not making your money back, you're not charging enough.

Once I sell dollar 1 worth of my product, someone else can sell it much cheaper, because they didn't have to develop it, thus ruining me.

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:20:44 PM

what? that dude who draw a funny pic of a prophet from a religion i don't believe in?
why would i do that? he makes funny stuff, i have no reason to harm him.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 08:24:23 PM

Once I sell dollar 1 worth of my product, someone else can sell it much cheaper, because they didn't have to develop it, thus ruining me.
It takes time to reverse engineer a drug. Especially the process necessary to synthesize it. Then you've got to set up the process, and get the copy to market. The first buyer can't just turn around and magically start copying your pill.

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:28:22 PM

It takes time to reverse engineer a drug. Especially the process necessary to synthesize it. Then you've got to set up the process, and get the copy to market. The first buyer can't just turn around and magically start copying your pill.

But the entire process, from the word go, is IP.
Bitcoins are also IP, I should add.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 08:31:17 PM

Your point?

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:33:09 PM

Your point?

My point is that if I spend millions developing something, and, once developed, it is easily reverse-engineered and put into production, I am broke, unless some form of IP recognition exists.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:35:41 PM

Your point?

My point is that if I spend millions developing something, and, once developed, it is easily reverse-engineered and put into production, I am broke, unless some form of IP recognition exists.

Wouldn't that instead mean you do not pursue a drug which would cost millions to develop, if you weren't sure you could make your money back?  If enough people wanted it, couldn't a whole crowd of people fund the research?

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:36:15 PM

what? that dude who draw a funny pic of a prophet from a religion i don't believe in?
why would i do that? he makes funny stuff, i have no reason to harm him.

Please read this, so you know where we AnCaps are coming from, in a very basic sense.  Its a quick read.

http://daviddfriedman.com/The_Machinery_of_Freedom_.pdf

The premise is that law is a commodity like any other, and a free market will provide better law than a central command/control structure that only makes a one-size-fits-all product.  Think of Lada v/s Porsche.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 08:37:02 PM

Your point?

And my point is that it is not as easy as you seem to assume, and that law cannot, and should not, make up for a poor business model.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  

Jump to: