Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 03:34:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  
Author Topic: This is the thread where you discuss free market, americans and libertarianism  (Read 33819 times)
hawkeye

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:38:38 PM

Even though it's probably correct (An-Caps intuitively seem to be crazy and violent people, who kill people with guns)

Really?  Got an example of some people who have called themselves anarcho-capitalists who fit the above profile.  I can't think of any.

OTOH, I can think of the US govt, which is full of crazy and violent people and has killed thousands and destroyed the livelihoods of millions in the last decade alone.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:06:30 PM

right there are definitely strong arguments to be made for why government is responsible for those deaths and why if we didnt have a government we wouldnt have had those deaths, and i personally believe this is accurate. My point was not to say that freedomequalsriches had drawn a false conclusion. I believe his conclusion was accurate. My point was to say that that particular conclusion does not follow from those particular premises alone.

However, the act of blaming governments for various atrocities also casts doubt on the theoretical viability of Anarchic alternatives. If soldiers, policemen, judges and other state workers are not individually responsible for their actions, then why should a change of system make any difference? If the population isn't already bound by the NAP, then clearly it's not all-encompassing or 'natural' like some people suggest. Besides, people need governments in order to blame them when things go horribly wrong.

right government is an idea. It is the idea that different people are entitled to different sets of rights. When i say "government was responsible" i really just mean that without the prevalence of this idea said people wouldn't have died.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 02:19:48 PM

Both of you guys seem desperate to avoid any serious discussion of what supports markets, as that might lead to a scary conclusion that you probably won't like: some non-voluntary monopoly (e.g.: a government) might be necessary in order to create suitable conditions for markets.
Not at all. What supports markets? What creates the conditions suitable for their existence?

Still waiting.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 02:54:29 PM

Both of you guys seem desperate to avoid any serious discussion of what supports markets, as that might lead to a scary conclusion that you probably won't like: some non-voluntary monopoly (e.g.: a government) might be necessary in order to create suitable conditions for markets.
Not at all. What supports markets? What creates the conditions suitable for their existence?

Still waiting.

I already gave you the answer earlier.
Well, seeing as I missed it, could you quote it?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 03:32:51 PM
Last edit: May 18, 2013, 04:00:29 PM by myrkul

Still waiting.
WHYYY??!?
That's not the proof. That's the claim. You can't point to your conclusion to support your conclusion.

You missed this bit as well:
If you want to propose a different answer, you're welcome to back it up with an analysis from first principles, seeing as we'd have to try and imagine how this theoretical government-free world might work.
I'm waiting for you to make your case, first. Seems impolite to totally destroy your arguments, before you even have a chance to make them.

FreedomEqualsRiches

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:51:34 PM

Still waiting.

WHYYY??!?

If you want to propose a different answer, you're welcome to back it up with an analysis from first principles, seeing as we'd have to try and imagine how this theoretical government-free world might work.

Markets existed in Irerland when it had no state, and in Iceland, when it had free-market law.  so your premise that "some non-voluntary monopoly (e.g.: a government) might be necessary in order to create suitable conditions for markets." has already been dis-proven by history.  Next?

BTC: 1M7gCkPUQe76pAs4Ya6wM3ihqKHKA1TYB8
LTC: LYYC67qyVXnbvv11mYzcPREhVRgkmA8zz3
FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:55:41 PM

right there are definitely strong arguments to be made for why government is responsible for those deaths and why if we didnt have a government we wouldnt have had those deaths, and i personally believe this is accurate. My point was not to say that freedomequalsriches had drawn a false conclusion. I believe his conclusion was accurate. My point was to say that that particular conclusion does not follow from those particular premises alone.

However, the act of blaming governments for various atrocities also casts doubt on the theoretical viability of Anarchic alternatives. If soldiers, policemen, judges and other state workers are not individually responsible for their actions, then why should a change of system make any difference? If the population isn't already bound by the NAP, then clearly it's not all-encompassing or 'natural' like some people suggest. Besides, people need governments in order to blame them when things go horribly wrong.

The act of blaming governments for their acts casts doubt on <whatever>Huh
OK.

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 05:28:39 PM

Still waiting.
WHYYY??!?
That's not the proof. That's the claim. You can't point to your conclusion to support your conclusion.

I'm waiting for you to make your case, first. Seems impolite to totally destroy your arguments, before you even have a chance to make them.

Sure, I'll play your game...
some non-voluntary monopoly (e.g.: a government) might be necessary in order to create suitable conditions for markets
BECAUSE...
In order for people to trade, first they need to be able to communicate with each other.
In order to be able to communicate, they need to learn to communicate.
Somebody needs to supply those skills. For example, parents teach their children basic skills.
However, is that a market? No, it is not. Call it evolutionary programming or whatever -- it's NOT A MARKET.
Even if you claim that markets only require 'supply' and 'demand', and participants, those participants still need to be able to follow the established rules. What rules, you ask? Whatever rules are created as a result of the participants communicating with each other prior to the market being able to function. Example of rules: "no stealing" or "follow the N.A.P. or die".
You may find this line of reasoning somewhat troubling, even disturbing. That would be because it suggests that markets rely on certain things (for example: 'communication', as I just explained) that they themselves are unable to provide in isolation from the outside world.
As such, the outside world therefore has to somehow "support" markets in a non-market fashion. For example: a leader might make a set of rules and force people to follow them. Eventually, lots of other people start forcing or 'indoctrinating' their own families and community into following the same rules, and these rules become known as a "language".

Again:
Markets existed in Ireland when it had no state, and in Iceland, when it had free-market law.  Your premise that "some non-voluntary monopoly (e.g.: a government) might be necessary in order to create suitable conditions for markets." has already been dis-proven by history.  Next?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 05:43:38 PM

some non-voluntary monopoly (e.g.: a government) might be necessary in order to create suitable conditions for markets
BECAUSE...
In order for people to trade, first they need to be able to communicate with each other.
In order to be able to communicate, they need to learn to communicate.
Somebody needs to supply those skills. For example, parents teach their children basic skills.
However, is that a market? No, it is not. Call it evolutionary programming or whatever -- it's NOT A MARKET.
Even if you claim that markets only require 'supply' and 'demand', and participants, those participants still need to be able to follow the established rules. What rules, you ask? Whatever rules are created as a result of the participants communicating with each other prior to the market being able to function.
OK, so, because parents need to teach their children how to communicate in order for those children - once grown - to establish a market, therefore we need a monopoly government. Suuuuure....

Certainly communication is required, but not a State. For instance, take two traders who do not share a language. They can (and have in the past) create a shared language, in order to facilitate trade. No State (or even parents) required.

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 05:46:10 PM

OK.

It's not the policeman's/soldier's/civil servant's fault for <whatever>, it's their imaginary friend's fault???
OK.

OK, it wasn't Hitler's fault, it was the guy putting the Zyklon B pucks on the burner.  It wasn't Stalin's fault, it was the guys who confiscated the grain.  When someone gets the death penalty, it's the tech giving the lethal injection, not the judge. If I punch someone, it's my hand's fault, or actually, just those parts of my fist that actually make contact with my opponent.

ktttn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 05:56:33 PM

You think markets can be bought and sold, and markets of markets, ad infinatum?  Idiot.
I might hesitate to brand someone an idiot for seeing fractals. 10thdim on youtube http://m.youtube.com/#/user/10thdim?&desktop_uri=%2Fuser%2F10thdim has a lot of really solid ideas that put a limit on that ad infinitum. For example, a state facilitated market, containing markets and submarkets, requires a market to run, itself- a coerced taxbase, and a market to support that- third world slave labor.. and so on.
I am not an anarchocapitalist. I am an anarchist. Capitalism requires unfounded remote ownership a la Property is Theft.
A market is what the macrocosm and the microcosm do. When a force presuming to micromanage and manipulate it uses coersion to delete agency and circumvents consent with violence, you get... well.. you get it. Right? Wall st.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
ktttn

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 06:03:38 PM

OK.

It's not the policeman's/soldier's/civil servant's fault for <whatever>, it's their imaginary friend's fault???
OK.
Youre making a clever, shrewd and damning point here. The person doing the dirty work is doing dirty work- but not his own dirty work, but the state's.
It is a function of a state to manipulate people into doing evil things.
Doesn't shift the blame, of course, but it does tell us about how these things work.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 06:04:39 PM

Capitalism requires unfounded remote ownership a la Property is Theft.
Define "unfounded."

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 06:09:45 PM

You think markets can be bought and sold, and markets of markets, ad infinatum?  Idiot.
I might hesitate to brand someone an idiot for seeing fractals. 10thdim on youtube http://m.youtube.com/#/user/10thdim?&desktop_uri=%2Fuser%2F10thdim has a lot of really solid ideas that put a limit on that ad infinitum. For example, a state facilitated market, containing markets and submarkets, requires a market to run, itself- a coerced taxbase, and a market to support that- third world slave labor.. and so on.
I am not an anarchocapitalist. I am an anarchist. Capitalism requires unfounded remote ownership a la Property is Theft.
A market is what the macrocosm and the microcosm do. When a force presuming to micromanage and manipulate it uses coersion to delete agency and circumvents consent with violence, you get... well.. you get it. Right? Wall st.

Many problems with Wall St. arise from the fact that they use the medium of exchange as a commodity, as if it had inherent value in and of itself.  I think I see what you're getting at, though:
I find a copper deposit on un-owned land in Africa, and I hire locals to exploit it, but what effect on the agrarian or hunter gatherers nearby?
Is this the gist of your assertion?

ktttn

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 06:19:49 PM

Define "unfounded."
I'll give some examples. Grain rotting in a silo. A field left unplowed. A castle waiting for a soon-to-return-noble in the crusades. A locked dumpster. These are examples of wasted property needlessly accumulated and consolidated for the supposed purpose of private wealth to the detriment of public good. Proudhon is pretty cool.
We could also go into the idea of stocks in things that involved anything from fraud to genogide to obtain, like the entire US. We can also think of unfounded as unfair or unjust.
Now the real crazy part comes in during a consideration of wage slavery, human beings and other animals as property, and labor as a commodity.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 06:27:01 PM

Define "unfounded."
I'll give some examples. Grain rotting in a silo. A field left unplowed. A castle waiting for a soon-to-return-noble in the crusades. A locked dumpster. These are examples of wasted property needlessly accumulated and consolidated for the supposed purpose of private wealth to the detriment of public good. Proudhon is pretty cool.
That does not define "unfounded."
Plus, some are very poor examples of waste.
The castle is like saying "an empty home waiting for it's owner to come home from work," and fields sometimes need to be left unplowed to recover nutrients.

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 06:31:01 PM

Define "unfounded."
We could also go into the idea of stocks in things that involved anything from fraud to genogide to obtain, like the entire US. We can also think of unfounded as unfair or unjust.
Now the real crazy part comes in during a consideration of wage slavery, human beings and other animals as property, and labor as a commodity.
all this will be irrelevant if we remove the right to own stuff, the very foundation of any capitalistic society.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 06:31:19 PM

Define "unfounded."

That's not a very anarchist thing to say.
Hypothetical situation A:
I grow grain and sell it to a foreign customer.  A drought causes starvation in my local area, but my techniques of farming render me immune, and the foreign buyer has contractual rights to the next 6 months of my output.  the locals are starving, and try to take my grain, and I kill many in self-defense as they storm my grain silos.  Am I a criminal?
Hypothetical situation B:
I have full silos of grain, and I choose to let it rot, and the locals are starving, and I kill many when they storm my silos.  Does that make me a criminal?

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 06:32:30 PM

Define "unfounded."
all this will be irrelevant if we remove the right to own stuff, the very foundation of any capitalistic society.

Where do you live, I could use all your stuff.  And, according to me, my need is greater than yours, after all, you don't mind mugging old ladies at night for their money, and I do.

ktttn

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 06:39:08 PM

Many problems with Wall St. arise from the fact that they use the medium of exchange as a commodity, as if it had inherent value in and of itself.  I think I see what you're getting at, though:
I find a copper deposit on un-owned land in Africa, and I hire locals to exploit it, but what effect on the agrarian or hunter gatherers nearby?
Is this the gist of your assertion?

The medium of exchange would rightly be a commodity if it were bitcoin, or at very least something remotely sane.
Theyre trading in debt fiat. Literally a whole different sort of way worse than any slimy trash either of us can name. I disagree with your assertion that the source of any of wall st's problems is using X means of exchange as a commodity. The inner manipulations fiat iself are to blame, along with a host of problems too numerous to exhaustively point to involving fraud and so on.
If you hire locals to exploit the unowned land they own, youre exploiting locals. Which is buisiness as usual in Africa.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Pages: « 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  

Jump to: