Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:22:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin vs boinc  (Read 4707 times)
crunchy (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 01:20:55 PM

Hi,

Just wanted to give my point off view on this distributed computing.

I'm an oldtimer having done years of calculating for BOINC. I had stopped doing this because off the cost for me making others profit from it.

Now this bitcoin thing is getting closer to being fair, but it still is a lottery.

I would like to donate my computing time , but if i'm not getting paid for what it actually is doing i just tend to not bother anymore.

Same with this bitcoin thing. I'd need a real supercomputer at my disposale if i want to make any real cash with it.

Not to be proffiting from it , but just being able to pay the cost of computepower.

The compute time i have "given" away over the past years without even the slightest compensation makes me kinda sick now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypher-punk

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 01:29:37 PM

well this is capitalism, right? If a crony bails out a bank on your money, you pretty much face the same rip-off.
NightAss

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 02:28:27 PM

I use to use bonic to do work for SETI@home  the work you are doing for bonic tends to be helpfull like with SETI@home but what bitcoin is doing is just bizzy work in witch you get paid for

the only thing I was useing SETI@home for was heeting up my room on a cold night

if you want money then start mining bitcoin and you will get paid but if you solo mine theres a good chance years can go by befor u see any money so you would need to join a pool if you want a 100% chance to get money each day

or you could look in to litecoin

but unlike your kind hart using bonic to help ppl bitcoin is only about the money
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 02:39:15 PM

I used to do BOINC years ago but I too stopped as it wears and slows your PC down while BIG money is made off some of the research.  As for mining ASICminer are on about bringing out tiny USB powered ASIC mining chip sticks.  There expected to hash at ~600(MH/s) each IIRC and only draw from the USB socket for power.  You could get a RaspberryPi (<5W), a USB hub and start mining cheaply.  Butterfly Labs are offering 5(GH/s) for $274 so a 0.6(GH/s) USB chip stick should be a cheap and the electricity used by the RaspberryPi and ASIC chip sticks minimal.  Tho you might have to wait as I paid for my BFL ASIC last July FFS but ASICminer already have there chips hashing?

middlemarkal

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:02:00 PM

I was doing F@H switch to BTC in december 2012 Grin

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:43:34 PM

Crunching via BOINC is like donating to a charity, just, you donate your computing power and not directly money.

Bitcoin is different, this is not a charity, if you are losing money by mining then don't mine  Wink

Oh and i do BOINC, there are tons of awesome projects  Cheesy www.worldcommunitygrid.org

ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 03:54:58 AM

Crunching via BOINC is like donating to a charity, just, you donate your computing power and not directly money.

Bitcoin is different, this is not a charity, if you are losing money by mining then don't mine  Wink

Oh and i do BOINC, there are tons of awesome projects  Cheesy www.worldcommunitygrid.org

How odd.  I was thinking of BOINC and botnet and bitcoin all mixed up together this morning, and wondered why not put bitcoin out on a voluntary net.  Like botnet, only with permission.

I try to be respectful and informed.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 12:50:58 PM

I use to use bonic to do work for SETI@home  the work you are doing for bonic tends to be helpfull like with SETI@home but what bitcoin is doing is just bizzy work in witch you get paid for

the only thing I was useing SETI@home for was heeting up my room on a cold night

if you want money then start mining bitcoin and you will get paid but if you solo mine theres a good chance years can go by befor u see any money so you would need to join a pool if you want a 100% chance to get money each day

or you could look in to litecoin

but unlike your kind hart using bonic to help ppl bitcoin is only about the money

This is hilarious  Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: