Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 08:17:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Online Bitcoin Miner (malicious codes)  (Read 2578 times)
Pangia (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 01:31:06 PM

Online Bitcoin Miner: As in --- visit a website that has the malicious code embedded and while you're on the site your computer mines Bitcoins for whomever encoded the website (the site owner).

So I visit various Bitcoin related websites and noticed that whenever I visited BTC-e.com my computer slowed down significantly.  One of my laptops that I used actually froze. So I wondered if there was something malicious about the site.  I began to research and found out that there is now a Bitcoin miner that can be embedded into a website that will essentially enslave a visitor's computer (force it to mine Bitcoins) for the time that they are visiting the site.

There is something not right about BTC-e.com and if there is something malicious about it, then it must be profit oriented, hence my suspicions that they may have some sort of malicious coding embedded. I think that it would be rather asinine for the owners of BTC-e to engage in such a practice, since it would drive away their visitors (6,000 - 7,000 at any given time). Then again, dumber things have been done before.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to determine whether a site has such codes embedded or not.

Here is an excerpt from an ad for an "Online Bitcoin Miner" - rougly sells for $100.

All visitors to website with the code installed, will be mining BTC for the duration of their stay on the page/site containing our mining code.
This software consists of three parts php or HTML, J Script and Java !
php or HTML : is the loader for JavaScript miner control script
JavaScript : loads the Java mining applet
Java : the Java mining applet

How it works:
As soon as a client or user visits to page containing the HTML(php) code launching the JavaScript the page visitor will start mining Bitcoin for you.
The HTML(PHP) code can be uploaded into any Content Management System (i.e Joomla, Drupal,etc...).
If our software is in the header/footer or anywhere else, where it is visible continuously, the visitor will be mining BTC for the duration of their stay on the site.
Your website with the software installed = any client with Java enabled will be mining BTC for you!

All we need is your wallet address and the intended URL.
We will code and compile your custom scripts and Binaries.
After uploading the consistent parts, you will be ready to mine BTC.
Now all You just need some visitors to you site.
We also offer bespoke search engine optimization (SEO) and other gray or Black Hat traffic generation services.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
dimitry-js

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 06:22:43 AM

You can find out whether a website is trying to generate bitcoin by looking at the transactions or php requests that your browser sends back to the website after the page is loaded. You can use Firefox + Firebug for this purpose.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: