Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:29:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rig freezes with 5 or 6 GPU attached  (Read 7238 times)
TheKoolaider (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 10:58:12 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2017, 08:59:39 PM by TheKoolaider

Hello everyone, I was hoping someone might have some insight for me about why my rig may be freezing.

I have
H97 anniversary mobo.
4gig RAM.
Cheapo CPU .
6 MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB - Stock settings and -86/-96 undervolt for ETH and XMR respectively when the rig was stable.
No custom GPU BIOS.
Windows 10.
Virtual Memory set to 16GB min -> 32GB max.

The rig will freeze if I have 5 or 6 GPUs attached. The driver will constant fail, freeze, and sometimes reset the pc. The rigs will freeze mining Monero and Ethereum.

I have done a full system reset. Installed only the necessary drivers plus GPU drivers, set the virtual memory to 16gb min and 32gb max. What else may I be missing.

I appreciate any help.  Thank you.

*EDITED for additional info.*

List of possible problems:
  • Mobo BIOS may need updating - Have not tested yet.
  • Change mobo to Gen 1/2/3 - I had it on auto with the continuous crashing. Currently on Gen 2, and still crashing but not as often. Need to test Gen 1 and Gen 3.
  • Not enough RAM - I don't think this is the problem. My other 480 rig has 4GB of RAM and runs ETH and XMR mining flawlessly
  • PSU - Tested, good.
  • 3 risers on 1 SATA power line - None of my risers were 3 to a line
  • Drivers - Tested different drivers versions. Each version crashes approximately around the same time. I don't think the driver is the problem.

I would also like to add that when I completed the reset of Windows 10, installed necessary drivers, and waiting for Windows 10 to complete updating, I now have 4 of the GPUs hashing with no freeze problems. Which was my setup previously before I added GPU 5 and 6.  I would need to double check and see if now that the system may seem stable, I can try GPU 5 and/or 6 to see how the rig functions.
This part just seemed weird to me. I can't explain it.

Thank you everyone. Will keep updating.

I'll be working on the miner in a few days. I'll keep this post updated for reference in case someone decides to search for themselves.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 11:00:47 PM

Could be a poor power supply or a faulty riser or simply dust causing weak connectivity to a card/cards.

Or too high overclock.

Not your keys, not your coins!
TheKoolaider (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 11:07:13 PM

Could be a poor power supply or a faulty riser or simply dust causing weak connectivity to a card/cards.

Or too high overclock.
I have a 1600w psu
Default clock settings

Maybe the dust or riser.  I'll double check.
alucard20724

Activity: 703
Merit: 272

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 04:23:35 AM

Or too high overclock.

I have a 1600w psu

How old is it? what brand is it? Have you been running it 24/7 under full load?

not all 1600w psu are created equal.
Masked_Immortal

Activity: 67

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 05:59:47 AM

Hello everyone, I was hoping someone might have some insight for me about why my rig may be freezing.

I have
H97 anniversary mobo
4gig RAM
Cheapo CPU
6 MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB

The rig will freeze if I have 5 or 6 GPUs attached. The driver will constant fail, freeze, and sometimes reset the pc. The rigs will freeze mining Monero and Ethereum.

I have done a full system reset. Installed only the necessary drivers plus GPU drivers, set the virtual memory to 16gb min and 32gb max. What else may I be missing.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Do you use custom rom for those 480?
any undervolting?

SCAVO  Technologies
SELF-SUSTAINING CRYPTO MINING FARM  BY USING RENEWABLE ENERGY RESOURCES - LIFETIME CONTRACT
────────  Whitepaper ⬝  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Ann Thread     ───────  Join our ICO:  July. 15- Oct. 31
TheKoolaider (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 01:19:35 PM

Or too high overclock.

I have a 1600w psu

How old is it? what brand is it? Have you been running it 24/7 under full load?

not all 1600w psu are created equal.

The rig is about 5 months old with 4 RX 480's I bought a 5th GPU less than a week ago and the 6th this past weekend. The rig did run 24/7 while it had 4 cards.

The PSU is an evga 1600w gold

I never had any issues until I added the 5th GPU and it was intermittently freezing. Like, it would run for a few hours then freeze. I didn't test what would happen with 6 because I reinstalled windows and all the other stuff.
TheKoolaider (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 01:21:50 PM

I have
H97 anniversary mobo
4gig RAM
Cheapo CPU

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Do you use custom rom for those 480?
any undervolting?

No custom roms, however I did have the rig undervolted -84 for ETH and -96 for XMR.  With 4 GPUs and those underclock settings the rig was fine. Once the 5th GPU came in, that's when the problems began. 
nshyamkrishna

Activity: 72
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 07:56:46 PM

I have
H97 anniversary mobo
4gig RAM
Cheapo CPU

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Updating motherboard bios to latest version might fix the issue. I'm using the same motherboard with 6 Rx470 8GB mining XMR with no issues. my motherboard bios version is 1.60 which i updated after buying.

TheKoolaider (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 08:09:49 PM

I have
H97 anniversary mobo
4gig RAM
Cheapo CPU

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Updating motherboard bios to latest version might fix the issue. I'm using the same motherboard with 6 Rx470 8GB mining XMR with no issues. my motherboard bios version is 1.60 which i updated after buying.

Updating the BIOS. That's something I didn't think of. I will double check that as well. Thank you.
l8nit3
Legendary

Activity: 1007
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 08:45:09 PM

I have
H97 anniversary mobo
4gig RAM
Cheapo CPU

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

i have noticed a similar issue with multiple of the anniversary boards. i build ETH and ZEC rigs for a friend (270x's) and with multiple rigs we have noticed an issue with adding card 6.

What ive decided so far:
1)could be not enough ram to run each card, i read somewhere that ZEC/ETH mining requires 1-2GB of ram per card (no idea if true)
2) could be your PSU cant handle all cards properly
3)My personal opinion, the anniversary board was selling far cheaper then the 'ProBTC'... I personally think there is something with the board model itself, as each of the rigs i have this issue with ... do it in the same slot (slot 3... the first after the 16x)
mewhoyou

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 01:02:10 AM

your missing out on the most important clue and usually the fault.

Are you running on windows 7 or windows 10? If its 7 then its the capability that you need to ammend the windows register and other hacks before it will be able to read more than 5 cards. If its windows 10 then likely its a driver or Power Supply issue.

JMHO

Ethereum the Next Big Thing?
LoneRangir

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 03:01:27 AM

How many risers are you powering with each molex/sata PSU lead?  Don't power more than two.
TheKoolaider (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 01:25:52 PM

I have
H97 anniversary mobo
4gig RAM
Cheapo CPU

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

i have noticed a similar issue with multiple of the anniversary boards. i build ETH and ZEC rigs for a friend (270x's) and with multiple rigs we have noticed an issue with adding card 6.

What ive decided so far:
1)could be not enough ram to run each card, i read somewhere that ZEC/ETH mining requires 1-2GB of ram per card (no idea if true)
2) could be your PSU cant handle all cards properly
3)My personal opinion, the anniversary board was selling far cheaper then the 'ProBTC'... I personally think there is something with the board model itself, as each of the rigs i have this issue with ... do it in the same slot (slot 3... the first after the 16x)

The thought has crossed my mind that I may not have enough RAM for 5 or 6 cards. However with this rig I have had 5 cards before and it was running perfectly fine. I had to take a GPU off because it killed itself and for about 3 or 4 months, it was hashing with 4 cards.  I add the 5th, I see some issues occurring. I add the 6th, and the GPU drivers begin to crash. 

My PSU should be ok. Haven't had any issues with it yet.

Your third point is not a bad theory. I can believe that.

I'll keep this in mind.
TheKoolaider (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 01:26:53 PM

your missing out on the most important clue and usually the fault.

Are you running on windows 7 or windows 10? If its 7 then its the capability that you need to ammend the windows register and other hacks before it will be able to read more than 5 cards. If its windows 10 then likely its a driver or Power Supply issue.

JMHO

Windows 10 Smiley

I'm going to first think it could be drivers, then I'll go down the PSU rabbit hole.

Thank you for your input Smiley
TheKoolaider (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 01:27:44 PM

How many risers are you powering with each molex/sata PSU lead?  Don't power more than two.

Now that I think about it, I might have had 2 attached to a cable, but added the 6th onto the line to make it 3. I didn't think about that. This could be an issue as well.

Thank you.
LoneRangir

Activity: 615

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 02:42:57 PM

Please let me know whether that fixes the issue. I made the same mistake a while back  Roll Eyes
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 02:50:22 PM

2 risers max per line, its better.  Might be your PSU, but try lowering your core clocks, upping your voltage on your gpu's.  Sometimes the primary gpu needs more voltage, and if it crashes, it will crash your rig.  It happens.  Set pci gen to 1 or 2 in your motherboard bios....hmmm other than that you should be good.
papampi

Activity: 686
Merit: 140

Linux FOREVER! Resistance is futile!!!

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 09:30:36 AM

Sorry for bump in after long time of inactivity of this thread ...
But I almost have the same problem
I setup a new rig and have problem mining with 6 cards, all 6 cards installed and detected by system
When I enable the 6th one after 10-15 minutes of mining cpu usage goes high and reach 90%. no program with high cpu in task manager but "system"
Tried with MSI afterburner running to speed up fans, and without it 

All 6 GPU are detected and working fine, tried to run with 5 and cycle the 6th one to check if problem is from risers or power cables ( Disabled pcie1 , run with 5, disabled pcie2 run with 5 .... )
All ok with 5 GPU no matter which one, as soon as I enable 6th the cpu goes high.
system is :
Windows 10, 1703 , all drivers updated to latest with "Driver Booster"
Mobo: MSI Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium Edition
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT Gold 1275W
GPU: 6x 1070 Asus Dual 8OG
Ram: ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4 8GB 2800MHz CL17 Dual Channel
CPU: Pentium G4400 3.3GHz LGA 1151 Skylake CPU
HDD: SAMSUNG 750 EVO 120GB SATAIII Solid State Drive

PEG0, PEG1, PEG2 gen 1 (tried with auto too)
4G enabled
IGD disabled (tried with enable too)

Can any one help me please.

szafa

Activity: 812

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 12:42:17 PM

Patch installed works with 6x rx290x.
sanmankrauss

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 06:40:55 AM

Sorry for bump in after long time of inactivity of this thread ...
But I almost have the same problem
I setup a new rig and have problem mining with 6 cards, all 6 cards installed and detected by system
When I enable the 6th one after 10-15 minutes of mining cpu usage goes high and reach 90%. no program with high cpu in task manager but "system"
Tried with MSI afterburner running to speed up fans, and without it 

All 6 GPU are detected and working fine, tried to run with 5 and cycle the 6th one to check if problem is from risers or power cables ( Disabled pcie1 , run with 5, disabled pcie2 run with 5 .... )
All ok with 5 GPU no matter which one, as soon as I enable 6th the cpu goes high.
system is :
Windows 10, 1703 , all drivers updated to latest with "Driver Booster"
Mobo: MSI Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium Edition
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT Gold 1275W
GPU: 6x 1070 Asus Dual 8OG
Ram: ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4 8GB 2800MHz CL17 Dual Channel
CPU: Pentium G4400 3.3GHz LGA 1151 Skylake CPU
HDD: SAMSUNG 750 EVO 120GB SATAIII Solid State Drive

PEG0, PEG1, PEG2 gen 1 (tried with auto too)
4G enabled
IGD disabled (tried with enable too)

Can any one help me please.

Bumping! Same issue I am facing now with RX570 cards
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: