Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:57:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: README replies  (Read 10867 times)
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:01:00 AM

Great stuff, easy to understand, thanks.

Grin
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tysat (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:01:24 AM

Can you still white list people? My friend would like to make an announcement about a project that will be shown at BitCon Next week.

His user name is ""WeMeetAgain"

Thanks! I can PM the mod a link if they want a sneak peek.

Best way to do it, write the post up in the newbie section then PM me the link (or just PM me the body of the post).  If everything looks good I'll whitelist.
mathkid

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:36:09 AM

hello,

I am new and I want to be able to post

so what I need to make 4 posts total and have 4hrs logged in before i can?

thanks
tysat (OP)
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:53:00 AM

hello,

I am new and I want to be able to post

so what I need to make 4 posts total and have 4hrs logged in before i can?

thanks

Read the README sticky up top, it'll answer your questions.
mathkid

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:15:40 AM

Thanks Tysat
acne

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:50:57 AM

I spent a lot of time here in last few moths and I have never feel a need to register here or post something. I'm not good in writing anyway. But today I have found an auction on this forum I would like to participate. But I cant as I have to write another 4 useless posts before I can put my bid...

Well if you read what I wrote right above your post, you could have PMed me and asked to be whitelisted to post in an auction.  Or you could just PM the person running it and ask them to put in a bid for you (probably the better option).

Thank you, I already wrote some posts. But anyway I appreciate your attitude.

oh really awesome
enderbender

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:21:39 AM

How much longer to get "unnewbied"? I believe I have followed the rules, and should be ok now. Perhaps there is a backlog since bitcoin is super popular now?
halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:27:32 AM

How much longer to get "unnewbied"? I believe I have followed the rules, and should be ok now. Perhaps there is a backlog since bitcoin is super popular now?

Since I just got out of the newbie status after joining today, I can explain how.  It's actually automated, you just have to be willing to be logged in for the four hours.  Here's a hint: you don't have to be active on the bitcoin forums that entire time, as long as you're logged in to the forum AND using your computer for something like surfing the internet, you'll get out of the newbie state.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:53:43 PM

Just a few points:

- It would be nice if you put some info about newbie sub-forum under "HELP", next to "HOME", under the username on the forum main page. I've lost 20-30 mins while figuring out why I can't post. Finally found it googling.

- I have 6 posts already and many, many, hours online - and still can't post. Do I have to login/logout or something? Can you be more specific in the README?

Thanks.
tysat (OP)
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:04:29 PM

Just a few points:

- It would be nice if you put some info about newbie sub-forum under "HELP", next to "HOME", under the username on the forum main page. I've lost 20-30 mins while figuring out why I can't post. Finally found it googling.

- I have 6 posts already and many, many, hours online - and still can't post. Do I have to login/logout or something? Can you be more specific in the README?

Thanks.

The first point is addressed when you register for the forums, which no one seems to read...

Looks like your good now, it can take a few minutes after you hit the 4 hour mark for the script to run and bump you up.
ideame

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:13:48 PM

Read the Newbie section...thanks for the great info
JKWong

Activity: 31

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:01:24 AM

Herro, so I have 5 posts in the newbie section and been here logged longer then 4 hours and I still can't post anywhere else. What should I do? Huh
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:05:24 PM

Herro, so I have 5 posts in the newbie section and been here logged longer then 4 hours and I still can't post anywhere else. What should I do? Huh
You are now a Jr Member how much BTC did you pay?? 0.05 BTC for Junior Member?

I know donator costs 10 BTC

You don't have to pay anything for any ranks except if you want to be a Donator or VIP.

Signature space available for rent.
Harry33

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:47:17 PM

Thank you for this.
mike298342

Activity: 16

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:51:15 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2013, 12:52:47 AM by mike298342

My total time logged in seems stuck at 1 hr 33 min.  Do I have to post messages for the timer to increment?  I can't get out of the newbie jail until I have so many hours on the forum.

EDIT: It seems to be incrementing now.  I made sure my browser allowed cookies for this site just in case.
HELLNAUT

Activity: 16

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:35:53 AM

hello every nice to be a part of the community! im looking forward to become FAT
tysat (OP)
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 11:04:37 AM

Disclaimer: i hope nobody mistakes my rant for "begging" or "useless spam", because it's meant to be neither.

I just wanted to say that I was quite surprised when I wanted to register here and saw these "newbie restrictions". You know, sometimes one has to think beyond immediate and most obvious effects of his actions. There are such things as side-effects, and even side-effects of those side-effects, and they not necessarily manifest immediately, and may stay unnoticeable for some time, or even forever, especially if there is no one to notice them and to determine their reason. That's why most obvious and seemingly effective actions are often the least beneficial ones. I totally respect everyone's right to make decisions, and I don't hope to influence anything or anybody, but I still feel obliged to express my opinion about why those "newbie restrictions" cause much more harm than benefit.

First, let's talk about benefits.
As a reason for the restrictions we have "a mass of trolling". Oh yes, the Trolling. People love this word so much but seldom understand what it really means. Trolling is not insulting, swearing or otherwise behaving like an ass-hole. Trolling is a style of discussion that provokes thought in the smart ones and emotions in the stupid ones. If you read books you might notice that good books often troll you, but that's exactly the reason to read them. I don't think it's a good sign when crowds of people get trolled and humiliated by their governments every single day and ignore it, yet the same people get so upset when some random guy on the internet that has absolutely no power over them ONLY writes a short piece of text that turns out to be difficult to understand and/or to agree with. Come on guys, nobody is even shouting at you, it's just freaking TEXT! Have you never read books? Oh yeah, I forget, in 2013 reading is not so fashionable anymore. Still, why so much distress over other opinions? I can't help but have an impression that many people not only ignore books but also ignore even verbal communication! Come out of your basement and try actually talk to people, and you will find out that many of them have opinions different from yours and might even say things that cause you "emotional response". Yes, the feeling they call "butthurt". Maybe it would be better just to accept the simple fact that some people may be wrong and it's normal. Even YOU may be wrong in some cases. I would even dare say that virtually EVERYONE is wrong in at least some of his opinions. Me too, of course. But in order to evolve mentally and spiritually you just have to LISTEN to other opinions because sometimes they are less wrong than yours, even if it doesn't look like it. I've known many people who were said to be trolls and most of them were much smarter than average. Actually, I began to like trolls, because they make me think, because they introduce doubt, because they always make the place less boring and more dynamic. And I am convinced that a healthy dose of trolling is always beneficial to any community. You might disagree with me, but then don't complain if a troll-free place becomes sterile, stale, boring and degraded. Don't fight trolls, they make the stupid smarter and the smart more comfortable, they are a moving force of a community, they make it evolve. The best collective ideas and content often come from the most troll-tolerant communities.

Second, about harmful side-effects.
Do you know what a human being feels when he is treated as a sub-human? Humiliation. Bitcoin is very attractive to anarchists and they are a significant part of the community. And the anarchists are the most susceptible to humiliation. The gutless state-loving conformist will happily comply with any restrictions, even with the most stupid ones. The free human will protest against any bureaucracy. Did you even think that not all "newbies" are new to Bitcoin? You know, not all people learn about Bitcoin from this forum, some learn about it from other sources. Then they come here, already expert in Bitcoin, and now they have to make 5 posts in Newbie section before they are promoted to fully-enabled people. Okay, so what to post here? I don't have anything to ask, or anything to tell. I have no immediate desire to help other newbies. Besides, it sucks to be treated like a criminal when you are not. That's why I'll never visit Israel: I don't have anything prohibited in my bag, I just don't want those people to search my underwear. What they are doing amounts to "insult" to me. Because I feel insulted when I'm treated like a terrorist (or a troll) before I even try do something suspicious. Not that I am even going to try.

That's pretty much all I wanted to say. I MIGHT try and gain those 5 posts, but I really doubt it, with such an attitude I am given.

Thanks for a warm welcome.

Sorry to hear that, but the pros outweigh the cons on the newbie restrictions.
CLains

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:20:55 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2013, 05:32:02 PM by CLains

It negatively affects crowdsourcing. You have people all over the internet linking to a specific forum. Any of a thousand thousand people might stumble on a particular thread in this forum. A person with crucial insight or knowledge on the issue at hand might look for the reply button, in eager anticipation of his stunning ability to dazzle people in this particular area of expertise.

Bewildered by the lack of reply-button he might think that signing up will grant posting privileges. Once this does not pan out he will eventually either leave or end up finding the newbie section and all these procedures for getting in. Upon seeing all of this hokey stuff, the person will then make a second decision, to put up with it and either keep posting (four hours five posts and all that) or stand at the mercy of an admin being willing to post his comment (which, in contemplating spending 30 minutes writing a post, might be too much of a risk).

No, more likely - and especially if this is a busy person with other, more important things to do (unlike me, etc.), the person will simply leave the site and never bother with it - until the cycle repeats the next time his knowledge and insight is occasioned by a link to this forum.
tysat (OP)
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:49:22 PM

It negatively affects crowdsourcing. You have people all over the internet linking to a specific forum. Any of a thousand thousand people might stumble on a particular thread in this forum. A person with crucial insight or knowledge on the issue at hand might look for the reply button, in eager anticipation of his stunning ability to dazzle people in this particular area of expertise.

Bewildered by the lack of reply-button he might think that signing up will grant posting privileges. Once this does not pan out he will eventually either leave or end up finding the newbie section and all these procedures for getting in. Upon seeing all of this hokey stuff, the person will then make a second decision, to put up with it and either keep posting (four hours five posts and all that) or stand at the mercy of an admin being willing to post his comment (which, in contemplating spending 30 minutes writing a post, might be too much of a risk).

No, more likely - and especially if this is a busy person with other, more important things to do (unlike me, etc.), the person will simply leave the site and never bother with it - until the cycle repeats the next time his knowledge and insight is occasioned by a link to this forum.

We might miss some good people this way, but I believe it cuts out more useless people than deters good posters.
fortheyu

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:43:07 AM

Read the Newbie section...thanks for the great info.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: