Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:50:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: README replies  (Read 10862 times)
puntoMX

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:19:40 PM

Still, spammers will post in the newbie-section and say something like "Cool Story" or anything useless (I saw that yesterday). They might even use the background color for the font color and put in some hidden text (seen on the forum I moderate on so many times) linking to some of their darn websites.

Anyway, 1 hour and 23 minutes to go for me till I can post something useful and/or buy something from one of the members. When buying, I like to use a moderator/admin from this forum to do the transaction but what would the cost (%) be?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tysat (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:49:57 AM

Anyway, 1 hour and 23 minutes to go for me till I can post something useful and/or buy something from one of the members. When buying, I like to use a moderator/admin from this forum to do the transaction but what would the cost (%) be?

Cost % for doing escrow?  I know John K does it for whatever people tip, usually 1-2% (i think?).
puntoMX

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:43:34 PM

Cost % for doing escrow?  I know John K does it for whatever people tip, usually 1-2% (i think?).
For 1-2% you can't go wrong there. Let me contact John K for that, sorry for hijacking this topic. Wink Thank you.
pablotextoris

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 04:44:41 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2013, 05:01:20 PM by pablotextoris

Very well written Smiley

Really not being a negative thinking person myself, but unfortunately - while reading the Do not trust people! article I got hit by mentioned examples and points again and again doh ...most reminded me of my own experience with so called friends or even worse some trustworthy family mebers...

Sad the it was in-fact only yesterday, when I was trying to explain my GF that there should be nothing like an ultimate trust or faith in someone at all. It always, directly and only depends on the "motivator" value for any person out there. My past taught me that under various specific circumstances EVERY single person will become able to "Sell you off"...

statis

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 03:50:42 AM

Very well written Smiley

Really not being a negative thinking person myself, but unfortunately - while reading the Do not trust people! article I got hit by mentioned examples and points again and again doh ...most reminded me of my own experience with so called friends or even worse some trustworthy family mebers...

Sad the it was in-fact only yesterday, when I was trying to explain my GF that there should be nothing like an ultimate trust or faith in someone at all. It always, directly and only depends on the "motivator" value for any person out there. My past taught me that under various specific circumstances EVERY single person will become able to "Sell you off"...

I found it interesting that dacoinminster advised not to trust the exchanges or wallet services (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33835.0). The guide appears to have been written in 2011- is it safe to say that things have progressed to the point where one could trust, to a reasonable degree, the major exchanges such as Mt. Gox, and pooled mining in general?

I just felt that such a degree of distrust seems behind the times...
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:29:22 AM

I found it interesting that dacoinminster advised not to trust the exchanges or wallet services (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33835.0). The guide appears to have been written in 2011- is it safe to say that things have progressed to the point where one could trust, to a reasonable degree, the major exchanges such as Mt. Gox, and pooled mining in general?
No. In fact, I would argue that things have progressed such that you should trust them less, because government regulation is now getting in the mix. You now need to worry that your funds could be seized by a government at any given moment, independent of the trust you have for the exchange, etc.
No, it will be true for a very long time.

statis

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:04:22 AM

No. In fact, I would argue that things have progressed such that you should trust them less, because government regulation is now getting in the mix. You now need to worry that your funds could be seized by a government at any given moment, independent of the trust you have for the exchange, etc.

Good points, I hadn't looked at it that way. If I understand it properly, we have progressed from the intrinsic lack of trust present in a developing system to the larger systemic risk that results from recognition and potential governmental interference, meaning that the guide is correct, albeit for somewhat different reasons.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:13:26 AM

Good points, I hadn't looked at it that way. If I understand it properly, we have progressed from the intrinsic lack of trust present in a developing system to the larger systemic risk that results from recognition and potential governmental interference, meaning that the guide is correct, albeit for somewhat different reasons.
Sounds about right.

R33FR

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 08:20:19 AM

Are there any other fast track ways to become a "full" member instead of holding people out like me for almost a year just because I have not logged in while I am reading. I do want to contribute very much so. Please someone help me out here  Wink
clicknbuyit

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 01:59:04 AM

I spent a lot of time here in last few moths and I have never feel a need to register here or post something. I'm not good in writing anyway. But today I have found an auction on this forum I would like to participate. But I cant as I have to write another 4 useless posts before I can put my bid...

Well if you read what I wrote right above your post, you could have PMed me and asked to be whitelisted to post in an auction.  Or you could just PM the person running it and ask them to put in a bid for you (probably the better option).

I did not know I had to post in newbies section in order to post elsewhere.
clicknbuyit

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:02:07 AM

I would do the 1-2% escrow
clicknbuyit

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:05:47 AM

Still, spammers will post in the newbie-section and say something like "Cool Story" or anything useless (I saw that yesterday). They might even use the background color for the font color and put in some hidden text (seen on the forum I moderate on so many times) linking to some of their darn websites.

I cannot wait to post to bitcointalk forum. A lot of interesting facts in here.
clicknbuyit

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:09:46 AM

It negatively affects crowdsourcing. You have people all over the internet linking to a specific forum. Any of a thousand thousand people might stumble on a particular thread in this forum. A person with crucial insight or knowledge on the issue at hand might look for the reply button, in eager anticipation of his stunning ability to dazzle people in this particular area of expertise.

Bewildered by the lack of reply-button he might think that signing up will grant posting privileges. Once this does not pan out he will eventually either leave or end up finding the newbie section and all these procedures for getting in. Upon seeing all of this hokey stuff, the person will then make a second decision, to put up with it and either keep posting (four hours five posts and all that) or stand at the mercy of an admin being willing to post his comment (which, in contemplating spending 30 minutes writing a post, might be too much of a risk).

No, more likely - and especially if this is a busy person with other, more important things to do (unlike me, etc.), the person will simply leave the site and never bother with it - until the cycle repeats the next time his knowledge and insight is occasioned by a link to this forum.

We might miss some good people this way, but I believe it cuts out more useless people than deters good posters.

I agree
clicknbuyit

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:13:16 AM

I couldn't agree more. I've been a member on this forum for a few weeks and I STILL can't post outside this stupid sub-section!

+1

I read hundreds of pages on this forum, I learned hundreds of things, and I do not have many interesting things to post, since I am a newbie ...
So I can not request information on a buying group that would interest me (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177994.0).
This seems strange to me.

I am not a big poster either. I am trying to get in on a buying group also
IBCBen

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 01:51:29 AM

I couldn't agree more. I've been a member on this forum for a few weeks and I STILL can't post outside this stupid sub-section!

+1

I read hundreds of pages on this forum, I learned hundreds of things, and I do not have many interesting things to post, since I am a newbie ...
So I can not request information on a buying group that would interest me (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177994.0).
This seems strange to me.

I am not a big poster either. I am trying to get in on a buying group also

That makes two of us. It is to bad their isn't an IRC element to this authentication as well to help a newbie get in the club faster. I've been hanging out in various btc mining realted chats for a few months only recently did I start posting here.

Still not that bad of a deal to lessen the workload of mods/admin and raise the overall quality of the forum. So far from what I can tell it is a success.
Loredo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:19:01 PM

Having grown up outside Milwaukee, I dig your avatar.
pistachiotuque

Activity: 8

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 04:35:11 PM

hrm. idea for promoting long time bitcoin lurkers. demonstrate either a bitcoin transaction for a coin you control from x months ago (thus proving long term interest in BTC) or demonstrate you can send a satoshi to an address and give the transaction ID, some technical minutia about the transaction.

or we could just tip the mod a buck to be let out, but then its just a tax  Sad

I'm here to participate in a group buy, even though I've been around for a while, but while I'm here, I understand people's frustration if they cant be out within a few days of reading/writing posts... Weeks is certainly more than average for a spam filter.

mpesha

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 05:38:46 AM

I like the idea of demonstrating that you have been a longtime lurker in some technical way as well. I have enough chops to build and tune a miner,  (2x Sapphire 7970) soon to be 3x once the funds are there, but I can't get in on a group buy till I serve time in the dungeon. Oh well, its a small price to pay.
87Loe

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:42:42 AM

Now I definitely understand the need to have this type of restriction on these forums, but this section is just crazy.

The listing is such a strange assortment of threads/titles that it's kind of hard to look through them all.

ledio

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:51:08 AM

Hi, dont know what to write here....got 24 Gh/s in 7950s....worked btc....now I need help about switch to ltc my rigs....come to most popular forum about crypto currency....is it enough to get status to write (+4hrs of wait)?And is it something more that I must do so that I can be forum member?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: