Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:03:01 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying XRP  (Read 3040 times)
arthurb (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:26:21 PM

Buying 60,000 XRP for 1 BTC or 30,000 for 0.5 BTC
dadrizforshizz

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:27:23 PM

People are getting ripped off on XRP....

people are selling 1 BTC for 20k on here; you can get almost 50k for 1 btc if you use the ripple wallet exchange...
FreeBit

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:35:37 PM

I give you 499 XRP for one BTC. Special price. PM me.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:46:58 PM

Before you buy XRP, remember at the price of 60,000 XRP to 1 BTC the value of the premined XRP stands at 1,666,666 Bitcoins.

At this rate the creators of ripple have created over a million Bitcoins worth of value. That puts in perspective how little 60,000 XRP is.

People dealing in XRP should know 100 Billion exist with the vast majority in the hands of a small amount of people.
naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:48:53 PM

Before you buy XRP, remember at the price of 60,000 XRP to 1 BTC the value of the premined XRP stands at 1,666,666 Bitcoins.

At this rate the creators of ripple have created over a million Bitcoins worth of value. That puts in perspective how little 60,000 XRP is.

People dealing in XRP should know 100 Billion exist with the vast majority in the hands of a small amount of people.

Which is consistent, because there is much more than 1 million of btc in the world.
nameface

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:54:15 PM

People are getting ripped off on XRP....

people are selling 1 BTC for 20k on here; you can get almost 50k for 1 btc if you use the ripple wallet exchange...

Not anymore. 25k is the lowest bid.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:58:56 PM

Which is consistent, because there is much more than 1 million of btc in the world.

Not that much more, overnight these people have created a currency that is worth 10% of all Bitcoins.

In a blink of an eye they are now worth about $160,000,000.

If the system was open and working then fair enough, but look at it! At the moment there is no client, how do I get my XRP onto a local wallet? The entire system is still centralized to the one company and one server.

They have been down a few times and I could not log in or use the currency.

They really need to start letting this thing become decentralized. Its in their best interest as all the founders have printed over a hundred million dollars, and I'm sure this rate will rise. If there was a open network and open client I would understand, but at the moment all I see is a closed source web service that lets people exchange Bitcoin for their premined currency of which they hold a hundred billion of.

Good marketing though. Smiley
nameface

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:02:18 PM

Not that much more, overnight these people have created a currency that is worth 10% of all Bitcoins.

Dude, Ripple was in development before Satoshi ever even released his source or whitepaper.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:11:12 PM

Dude, Ripple was in development before Satoshi ever even released his source or whitepaper.

That's not the point, please tell me where I can download the client and contribute to the decentralized ripple network.

Also, the current ripple is different from the ripple that existed before Satoshi, research it. The old ripple system devised before Bitcoin did not have XRP, it did not have its own native currency units. And also Bitcoin was created and used and verified in the time its taken ripple to devise a closed source web service that primarily is used for people to buy more XRP with Bitcoin.
nameface

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:19:59 PM

That's not the point, please tell me where I can download the client and contribute to the decentralized ripple network.

Also, the current ripple is different from the ripple that existed before Satoshi, research it. The old ripple system devised before Bitcoin did not have XRP, it did not have its own native currency units. And also Bitcoin was created and used and verified in the time its taken ripple to devise a closed source web service that primarily is used for people to buy more XRP with Bitcoin.

I hear you. But if you buy into Ripple, then you know it's early. There's plenty of time for them to make good on their claims before I'll lose any faith in their integrity and the soundness of their strategies. Ripple is just way more complicated of an idea than Bitcoin to implement.
dadrizforshizz

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:22:58 PM

why waste good money, if they still need to release billions of XRP?
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:26:04 PM

I hear you. But if you buy into Ripple, then you know it's early. There's plenty of time for them to make good on their claims before I'll lose any faith in their integrity and the soundness of their strategies. Ripple is just way more complicated of an idea than Bitcoin to implement.

Fair enough, I have my 50,000 XRP from the give away still sitting around, However I would rather they sit on my computer instead Smiley Also for the ripple system to be decentralized our computers should be able to donate resources towards the network (moving the transactions and information around, etc...) For Ripple to live up to its claims its needs to be 100% decentralized with OpenCoin having no effect on the network itself.

I just post in these threads sometimes so people know that XRP is all premine and the founders hold billions of them, some people looking to buy XRP for a lot of BTC might have a second thought about doing so. Ripple may one day be something grand, but at the moment its still like eCash, all under control of a single company that has taken venture capital, at odds with Satoshi's vision for Bitcoin.

drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:31:01 PM

I think the logic is that XRP will still rise in value, they are releasing in a linear fashion so its likely demand will eventually outpace supply and the price will rise, also if they gave all the XRP away it will even out at 14 XRP per person in the whole world, so the free stash they gave us makes us feel a little richer and gives XRP value.

I personally think XRP is a stealth currency designed to compete with Bitcoin and create billions in wealth for the founders and venture capitalists that invested in Opencoin. But my opinions about these things are always overly dramatic. Smiley
nameface

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:55:16 PM

With the price what it is today, I agree. It's increased very quickly, and seems to have passed an equilibrium point at around 50k XRP per BTC imo.

I think there's a chance buyers will lose money in the short term buying at 20k XRP per 1 BTC today. Of course, it all depends on the price of BTC.

I have no idea what BTC and XRP prices will be in 6 months, but I'll bet they're both significantly higher against the dollar. FTR I don't think XRP's value is completely tied to the value of BTC anymore.

I think it's almost time for OpenCoin to release ~2% of ALL XRP, along with some official statements.

re: Ripple marketing... when you think about the scope of this thing, they really haven't done much yet.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 05:06:10 PM

re: Ripple marketing... when you think about the scope of this thing, they really haven't done much yet.

That's whats so impressive, most closed source networks run by a company that must turn a profit wouldn't normally have so many people dedicated to its cause. They have a few people that post idealist features of the Ripple network on the forum every now and suddenly everyone is talking about Ripple, not many people screaming scamcoin! The people that respond to the Ripple doubters that are from the core team talk well and say just the right thing.

I am surprised its gained so much traction without actually delivering much, so far we have a closed premined coin network without any decentralized nodes. I'm probably wrong and am missing something, the whole thing screams scam to me but I may be wrong. I really wish they would let this thing out and get it going.

One thing I think they should do is admit if they have sold any Ripples for Bitcoin yet. All the founders should admit if they have sold for Bitcoin. I heard that 1 developer alone was granted a billion XRP with a current market value of 16,000 Bitcoins.

If Opencoin or none of the core team have sold for Bitcoin then I would have more faith in the future of Ripple.
dadrizforshizz

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 05:08:15 PM

Ripple reminds me of 80s babys and baseball cards. In the 1980s the old timers that held on to their old baseball cards from the 50s and 60s were able to sell them for a lot of money. The gen Y kids of the 80s saw this and held onto all of their baseball cards from the late 80s and early 90s....since so many of them held onto their cards, by the time they were grown, the cards were basically worthless.

Many of the people looking to "get in" on ripple saw what happened to early adopters of bitcoins, and they think they are going to get rich from buying a bunch of XRPs early on, but Im not so sure this will happen. With the huge float and the centralization of the currency, once the supply gets low, they sell some of their own XRPs, make a killing and release more right after, lowering the price. Rinse and repeat, and guess who gets rich....it wont be you.
nameface

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 05:17:06 PM

Many of the people looking to "get in" on ripple saw what happened to early adopters of bitcoins, and they think they are going to get rich from buying a bunch of XRPs early on, but Im not so sure this will happen. With the huge float and the centralization of the currency, once the supply gets low, they sell some of their own XRPs, make a killing and realease more right after, lowering the price. Rinse and repeat, and guess who gets rich....it wont be you.
I don't see it that way. If you own any significant amount XRP today, and Ripple is truly successful, you will make big money. This is how it shakes out no matter how you look at the numbers.

What scares me is that Ripple being successful depends on so many factors. Are they really seeing all of the angles? Ripple probably has an Achilles Heel at this point.

drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 05:22:03 PM

Many of the people looking to "get in" on ripple saw what happened to early adopters of bitcoins, and they think they are going to get rich from buying a bunch of XRPs early on, but Im not so sure this will happen. With the huge float and the centralization of the currency, once the supply gets low, they sell some of their own XRPs, make a killing and realease more right after, lowering the price. Rinse and repeat, and guess who gets rich....it wont be you.
I don't see it that way. If you own any significant amount XRP today, and Ripple is truly successful, you will make big money. This is how it shakes out no matter how you look at the numbers.

What scares me is that Ripple being successful depends on so many factors. Are they really seeing all of the angles? Ripple probably has an Achilles Heel at this point.

Next time one of the core team members is here, ask them if they have exchanged a little of their own XRP for Bitcoin. That will give you an idea if I am right or not about it being a scam.
dadrizforshizz

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 05:27:29 PM

Agree, its a gamble for sure, if you are willing to dump significant money on this you have some balls.

Speaking of dumping money, arent most of these cryptocurrencies just exacerbating the exact things they were set out to destroy?
nameface

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 05:55:14 PM

Speaking of dumping money, arent most of these cryptocurrencies just exacerbating the exact things they were set out to destroy?
Some of the newer ideas out there go against the ethos of bitcoin. Ripple is the evolution of a concept that pre-dates bitcoin, and has arisen in part due to the hard work of some of the earliest bitcoiners. They're not acting against the bitcoin philosophy imho.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: