Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 09:54:52 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero under scrutiny of the FBI  (Read 15208 times)
FeverFlash

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 10:22:02 PM

All cryptocurrencies are under the scrutiny of the FBI--it's the FBI's job to monitor darkmarkets, tax evasion, and the like--it's the fact that the  FBI is worried about Monero that is the point of the article.

The FBI is singling Monero out for the very fact that its special properties put it on the same footing as two of the oldest and most trusted coins used for illicit activities--this is what cash is supposed to do, this is what capitalism is supposed to do. Good money does bad things. You will never see Washington wince when he's used to buy crack, you will never see him yawn when you buy the morning paper, and you will certainly never see him cheer when you buy an ounce of your grandmother's illicit cataract medication. Good money does bad things, period.

Those people fretting and hand waving do not see (or likely choose to ignore) that real freedom is tied to private money--good money capable of exerting its holders free will at any moment, at any time. Those that say big government has already won,  have already lost the will to fight, to do what's right in the face of impossible odds, to be vigorous freemen in a time apathetic slavery. At the end of the day, every man and woman's choice is simple, to be a slave or a master--if you are waiting for the powers that be to validate your investment, you have made your last free choice and will gladly take what's handed to you--and though I will feel pity for you, and can even emphasize with the conditions of your slavery, I will never sympathize with the conditions of your failure to break free and set a new course for humanity in this dark time of surveillance states.  If you are waiting for an authority to take you by the hand and lead you greener pastures, you will be continually disappointed that greenest pastures, the choicest venues, the sparkling rivers, the places you always wished you could be, are reserved for those you follow.

The digital world before us is as vast as our imaginations, a land beyond the scope of any nation, no matter how powerful they may seem in the confines of their physical state--they are limited by nature's bounds, constructs of hierarchal determinism, incapable of pondering virtual states of each man his own, each woman her own--it is not by accident that the final battlefield is our imaginations, and the quickness in which some give over their ultimate freedom matches the long drawn out physical history of rule or be ruled, and then the cataclysm of the wisdom that asserts--I have only myself to rule or be ruled.

Epic post brother.

When Chaum declared "The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy" it wasn't just cyberpunk LARPing.

We will have a real democracy if we use well-developed digital cash (IE fungible coins stored and exchanged on a diverse/diffuse/defensible/resilient network) such as Monero.

We will have a dictatorship if we use bad digital cash (IE non-fungible white/black-listed coins stored and exchanged on a centralized network) such as Dash+Coinfirm.

Please note Bitcoin will eventually transcend these categorizations because its ultimate fate is to "be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash."

The question remains: what are they going to do about it? or in better words what can they do about it?
Democracy is better represented on a decentralized blockchain and there is no central authority to decide one way or another.
Are they concerned because of criminals? I would like to see some data/statistics of criminal activity on any blockchain vs Fiat.
MasterMined710
Legendary

Activity: 1182
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 12:39:58 AM

Go give your picture ID to Poloniex more ya bullshitting baggies  Roll Eyes

It's not like polo is seizing people's monero as suspicious and demanding id, oh wait, they are.  Shocked

DASH = Digital Cash         FAQ          DASHTALK        DashNews
instacalm

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 12:46:19 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2017, 02:56:09 AM by instacalm

If Monero is indeed under the scrutiny of the FBI that could mean it is now really "popular"... why should the rest of the world care if US agencies or institutions have a problem with Monero? Frankly I don't hold nor do I particularly care about Monero. Will there be trouble for Monero holders in the US?
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 01:15:18 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2017, 01:30:55 AM by Spoetnik

How to fix bitcointalk in one click

This guy LOL

Yet another one i have given a spanking to more than once for his scammy stupidity.
His account here is suspect.
He has not shown his face around here for damn near 2 years.
And he pops up here saying that after all this time ?
Where were you all along contributing ? ..to anything.

You guys are trying pull out all the guns to quell the evil FUD eh ? LOL

RED ALERT Monero Shill's man your battle stations !

EDIT:

@instacalm
That is what is just finished saying earlier.
You all do not listen and simply pick an angle to pursue in your defense of Monero and push on it with it relentlessly.. trying to take turns recreating it.

When the SEC released it's Investor Fraud Warning Alert PDF January 2016 and i posted here the same day.. you all railed on endless proclaiming .. THIS IS IT !
Unanimously chanting that Bitcoin is legit now.
You all passed celebratory cigars and started uncorking the wine bottle like idiots.
Look yourself at the replies people..
[SEC] Ponzi schemes Using virtual Currencies

In reality this happened during a period of downtime in Bitcoins price and popularity.
So the correlation in that example simply fails.

I would come to the opposite conclusion.
The FBI has been here since day one and they simply see what we see.
Monero creeping up the charts over time on CoinMarketCap.com
There is no shred of information available that they did this because Monero was "getting popular"
That is silly.
I am not saying that because of the fact i don't like Monero either.. i really don't see the correlation at all.
Guys if that was true i would say it and used it in my "FUD" Wink HAHAHAHHA

FUD first & ask questions later™
Monerobuyer

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 01:46:26 AM

What about dat Dash 2 million coin instamine doe?
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 02:05:08 AM

Most coins were instamined.. what is your point ?
Take Prime Coin or Quark for example.
Both were so radically different from anything before them that they were popular over-night.
There is an element of who participated that goes on.

What i wonder with that accusation is..
Was the coin dev / team deliberately making sure there coin was unpopular to hoard mining coins to themselves ?
If not then it's a fair launch basically.

The parameters of mining are set out and you are all able to participate in the mining if you CHOOSE to do so.

Simply saying the coin was easy to mine at launch is snot quite enough to scream scam in my books.
No it does not look good either but it needs to be placed within context.
It's not so black & white..

Anyway who cares.. that is not the topic.
Why are you all playing the same defense retorts over & over ?
The topic is about Monero so you all line up to point the finger at Bitcoin or Dash etc over and over.
It doesn't matter if you allege Jimmy stole a cookie.. you are the one in trouble right now !

You guys here have shown how you are spineless back stabbing finger pointing little rats that will turn on each other.
If the cops come knocking you will all point the finger at the next guy in a heart beat.
This topic show cases the integrity of the Monero shill's crew.

This is turning out to be Waco all over again.
The Kool-Aid drinking Monero Cult guys have armed themselves in their compound against the FBI coming for them.. and if you think back to Waco News reports that did not end well  Cheesy

..but, but, but those guys down the street are running a crooked cult ..so why can't we ?
THAT is the silly stupid mentality i see here.
Jimmy stole a cookies so why can't i ?
Because stealing is wrong idiots.  Roll Eyes

MasterMined710
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 02:33:35 AM

What about dat bitmonero/monero Ninjalaunched 1.37 million Cripplemined Fastmine doe
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1435385.0

MasterMined710
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 02:44:49 AM

Rough week for monero with people getting funds frozen on polo and then the FBI investigation and now the jaxx wallet issues....

Am I the only one who has their Poloniex account locked for days and is getting little, vague and sketchy explanations?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5qhaud/am_i_the_only_one_who_has_their_poloniex_account/

Saddens me to announce we've halted @jaxx_io @monerocurrency near term integration plans. Too many difficulties. Need to refocus resources.
https://twitter.com/diiorioanthony/status/826953622088982528
 Cry

stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 03:21:53 AM

Monero partnering guide....basically dont bother:
goin2mars.

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 04:21:13 AM

Obviously the thread is derailing. Likely not a coincidence.

If they've publicly acknowledged it confirmed by press release, then consider for a few minutes, exactly how infiltrated this place is already is.

Let that thought roll through you for a few minutes.

me before: goo dot gl/QV7mhF
C0A2A1C4
ham
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1426

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 05:32:04 AM

Sooner or later as the tech gets better and better what did you all expect the feds do?  Just look and do nothing?  Of course they're gonna get worried.  From the problems they've been having with Bitcoin, they'll have a handful with Monero for sure.

So all the FUD here is just an overreaction from some people and for some it has an ulterior motive.  There usually is in these boards.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 05:32:37 AM

What did you guys expect, that Monero will flourish and become widely accepted crypto or something?
You have to realize once and for all, every fully anonymous coin when it became bigger and gain popularity it will be destroyed by governments.
True, that they won't kill coin itself, or close all dark marketplaces, but they will remove it from being accepted by legal services, mainly exchanges.
If you think that coin will keep its potential and value by being reduced only to payment method good for purchasing illicit goods then you are being extremely naive.

Monerobuyer

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 05:37:18 AM

What about dat bitmonero/monero Ninjalaunched 1.37 million Cripplemined Fastmine doe
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1435385.0

That person wasn't a devoloper, he is a Carnegie melon professor unrelated to the developers  and he sold all the xmr he earned to pay for amazon cloud computing resources  as detailed on his personal blog.
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 06:07:53 AM

Obviously the thread is derailing. Likely not a coincidence.

If they've publicly acknowledged it confirmed by press release, then consider for a few minutes, exactly how infiltrated this place is already is.

Let that thought roll through you for a few minutes.

You mean what i have said endlessly since mid-2013 ?

..i know Roll Eyes

AKA: My "FUD" agenda as Tokeweed alluded too  Cheesy

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 07:37:34 AM

What did you guys expect, that Monero will flourish and become widely accepted crypto or something?
You have to realize once and for all, every fully anonymous coin when it became bigger and gain popularity it will be destroyed by governments.
True, that they won't kill coin itself, or close all dark marketplaces, but they will remove it from being accepted by legal services, mainly exchanges.
If you think that coin will keep its potential and value by being reduced only to payment method good for purchasing illicit goods then you are being extremely naive.

Then the only natural reaction I can see that the free market will come up with is there will be "dark" exchanges.

Assuming you are correct in that privacy-centric coins are banned from "legal" services.

Monero as a technology doesn't care about what governments do or don't do.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 07:54:05 AM

that's what you call potency of the tech..

unlike DASH's snake oil crypto haha.

the FBI is worried too that the knives being manufactured is going to be used to by criminals to murder?

Yup along with many other things like cars, spoons, brief cases, tweezers, hair brushes, tooth brushes, along with the almighty USD. Hmm wonder why they aren't so worried about those things being used by criminals?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

btc_zero_sum

Activity: 273
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 10:44:22 AM

Monero partnering guide....basically dont bother:

is this basically telling that the publicly exposed monero "devs" are actually not capable to help with integration? do they even dev? who really developed monero then?
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 01:09:16 PM

Who developed Monero ?
You mean the original dev when they called it Bytecoin that vanished ?
Or the secondary "Community Take Over" dev(s) that showed up with King Risto in his castle ?

I think it's about time Monero guys come clean with who is involved and how it all came to be.
All i ever seen was a cast of characters pop up here shooting their mouth off..
Such as Risto proclaiming Monero was his first Altcoin and how he had bought many years ago a quarter million dollars worth i estimated back then.

Really.. i don't quite know who these guys are or what they are up to.

..maybe that is why the FBI wants to investigate them.

FACTS TIME WITH SPOETNIK:

Ok so i thought of something that i was not going to mention seeing this topic lots.
If i mention it the little Monero shill's will latch onto it and use it as a defense angle i am sure.
But i will go ahead and give them a bone LOL

Gavin was requested to meet with the FBI over Bitcoin way back too.
What transpired we were never told.
Make of that as you will people. Wink

RXTRR

Activity: 58

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 01:15:16 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/fbi-concerned-about-criminal-use-of-private-cryptocurrency-monero/

The privacy-focused digital currency monero has captured the attention of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), which has expressed concerns over its use among criminals.

Following the event, the special agent said he couldn't provide additional details specifically pertaining to the FBI’s investigative techniques surrounding monero when asked by CoinDesk.

Thats what you get when you promote as cryptocurrency your direct links to darknet markets, i guess.
The FBI's full attention and subject to its investigative techniques.

how legitimate is this source? would the FBI actually be investigating an altcoin?
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 01:51:33 PM

I find this part of it funny..

Launched in April 2014, monero (XMR) is a cryptocurrency with enhanced privacy features. A fork of the Bytecoin codebase

And i take it since the guy commented to a bunch of lawyers ..150 of them watching that was proof enough.
After all they had a private meeting to talk to Gavin about Bitcoin back when he was Foundation leader getting a salary of about 1 million dollars a year.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: