Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:50:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Antisocial Network (Krugman on Bitcoin - hilarity ensues)  (Read 2755 times)
Severian (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 06:47:41 PM

In which Krugman proves he's a fluffer for the Federal Reserve.

"The practical misconception here — and it’s a big one — is the notion that we live in an era of wildly irresponsible money printing, with runaway inflation just around the corner."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/15/opinion/krugman-the-antisocial-network.html?_r=1&

That an idiot like Krugman has any influence in this culture just ensures Bitcoin's future success. This is the same idiot that said the net was a passing fad.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 06:53:45 PM

I like "Green Pieces of Paper" especially when the electric power fails; the ones, twos, and fives etc. continue to be accepted at the fast food places and supermarket. Humans cannot eat gold, silver, or "Bitcoins".

AND YOU CAN'T EAT GREEN PIECES OF PAPER, EITHER.

CAN I GET A ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR THE GRAND PRIZE WINNER OF THE FLUFFIEST SHEEP AWARD?

The fact this guy got 93 thumbs up is fucking appalling.

/wrists

Severian (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 06:58:29 PM

49% of the population is of below average intelligence. It's Krugman's fan base.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:01:05 PM

49% of the population is of below average intelligence. It's Krugman's fan base.

I just can't believe people line up to get fleeced like this.  I don't understand the herd mentality.  Most people know they're getting fucked, that their banks are literally fucking them, and then they turn around and say they don't want to do anything about it, and continue to use the very cash the banks put out.  It's just madness.  Tell me this is a really bad dream and I just need to wake up.

cypher-punk

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:03:30 PM

Krugman is a complete fraud like Bernie Madoff.

Mark my words.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 07:08:31 PM

AND YOU CAN'T EAT GREEN PIECES OF PAPER, EITHER.

Actually, you can. Roughage, baby. They're better as toilet paper, though - but don't flush 'em, they'll clog the drain.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Severian (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:09:28 PM

Tell me this is a really bad dream and I just need to wake up.

It's a bad dream. Wake up.

Did it work?
Severian (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:10:06 PM

Don't you agree that Pareto principle would apply here? As such 20% of population would have 80% of total IQ pool and therefore Krugman enjoys much more populous fan base.

You're right. The world just got a little darker.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:11:01 PM

Actually, you can. Roughage, baby. They're better as toilet paper, though - but don't flush 'em, they'll clog the drain.

Har har well, I wouldn't recommend it Grin  Unless you're a billy goat, in which case, carry on.  I don't know about the caloric value of a dollar but I assume it's not high enough to sustain you for long.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 07:15:47 PM

Har har well, I wouldn't recommend it Grin  Unless you're a billy goat, in which case, carry on.  I don't know about the caloric value of a dollar but I assume it's not high enough to sustain you for long.

Well, it's mostly wood pulp and cotton... dietary value for a human would be almost nil. But it will fill you up, and the coke might act as an appetite suppressant, so you'll starve, but at least you won't starve hungry.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 07:58:20 PM

lol... This sentence is gold, too:

It’s true that the Federal Reserve and other central banks have greatly expanded their balance sheets — but they’ve done that explicitly as a temporary measure in response to economic crisis.

Bet they said that in Wiemar Germany, too.

hawkeye

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 02:49:21 AM

I just can't believe people line up to get fleeced like this.  I don't understand the herd mentality.  Most people know they're getting fucked, that their banks are literally fucking them, and then they turn around and say they don't want to do anything about it, and continue to use the very cash the banks put out.  It's just madness.  Tell me this is a really bad dream and I just need to wake up.

But ultimately they want to be looked after by the government and the government tells them that they have to use their money and the banks that lend it.   Therefore they whinge and they moan about the injustice but do what they are told.  Anything else is unthinkable for the majority of people.  They have had this drilled into them at the schools since they were young.  

It's not that surprising when you think about it.  The problem is that you have broken out of this way of thinking and most people haven't yet.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 02:51:00 AM

It's not that surprising when you think about it.  The problem is that you have broken out of this way of thinking and most people haven't yet.

It's like being at a slumber party and waking up before everyone else.  It's like: what do I do now?  Guess I'll lay in bed and wait for everyone else to get up.

hawkeye

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 02:56:13 AM

I would suggest getting up and making breakfast.  Things like milk will probably run out before everyone else gets up.  The early bird...
BlueTemplar

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

Gone for a minute now back again

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 07:56:13 PM

Don't you agree that Pareto principle would apply here? As such 20% of population would have 80% of total IQ pool and therefore Krugman enjoys much more populous fan base.
You were probably sarcastic, but since IQ follows a normal distribution : no.

So how is bitcoin different? Unlike credit card transactions, which leave a digital trail, bitcoin transactions are designed to be anonymous and untraceable.
I'm very disappointed in Krugman. Here's someone that seemed to at least think a little bit before speaking (from the previous articles I read from him), and here he has just shown that he actually didn't even bother to research the subject before writing an article...
jdbtracker

Activity: 727

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 11:29:50 PM

You were probably sarcastic, but since IQ follows a normal distribution : no.

So how is bitcoin different? Unlike credit card transactions, which leave a digital trail, bitcoin transactions are designed to be anonymous and untraceable.
I'm very disappointed in Krugman. Here's someone that seemed to at least think a little bit before speaking (from the previous articles I read from him), and here he has just shown that he actually didn't even bother to research the subject before writing an article...

That is quite amusing, did you know that the visa network is structured exactly like Bitcoin? lol! if they can trace visa, they can trace bitcoins.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
abbyd

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 12:45:21 AM

"The practical misconception here — and it’s a big one — is the notion that we live in an era of wildly irresponsible money printing, with runaway inflation just around the corner."
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/15/opinion/krugman-the-antisocial-network.html?_r=1&

The quote certainly is memorable for its LOLZable stupidity - also note what he's giving away in the following quote:

It’s true that the Federal Reserve and other central banks have greatly expanded their balance sheets — but they’ve done that explicitly as a temporary measure in response to economic crisis

He means that the Fed is going to "soak up excess liquidity" to "prevent runaway inflation" (I believe the technical term is "reverse repos" - basically they take money out of circulation). But guess what - they are afraid to do it because the US economy will REALLY TANK. A Fed chairman has never been in this uncomfortable position, he's in "uncharted waters". Since the Chinese hold $1 trillion in US debt, the main out is to start World War III - that's what Keynes always said. The problem with Krugmonster is that he IS smart - like many other mainstream "nobel" economists he's opted to lie in service of banksters.
jdbtracker

Activity: 727

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:09:46 AM

Enter the Bitcoin, I think if he wants a solution he should look at bitcoin a deflationary currency for tips.
but it bothers me to see this contradition in the article how he says, that bitcoin is a self fullfilling prophecy that people will accept it yet just a few paragraphs down claims that the reason people use gold was because people thought it was  of exchange value...   I'm confused Undecided

Gold’s value comes in part because it has nonmonetary uses, such as filling teeth and making jewelry; paper currencies have value because they’re backed by the power of the state, which defines them as legal tender and accepts them as payment for taxes. Bitcoins, however, derive their value, if any, purely from self-fulfilling prophecy, the belief that other people will accept them as payment.

and then ....

Even when people relied on gold and silver coins, what made those coins useful wasn’t the precious metals they contained, it was the expectation that other people would accept them as payment.

He is completely ignoring the fact that someone sometime had to begin accepting coins because they were a useful measure of exchange... can you see the similarities with a certain...

to save you the trouble of reading it, people bartered the most useful item of exchange. Bitcoins strength is it's security (administered by the miners) and also the ease with which it can be transferred converted into any form of goods from point A to B. I've been looking at online adds with people trading video cards, services directly on the forums for Bitcoins... I think something is happening here and this article may make things clear.

http://moneymorning.com/ob-article/schiff-us-will-win-currency-war.php?code=3243#.UW3uJbXvs-c

Maybe it will become apparent to you after reading that article that there is something very disturbing happening... The markets have always crashed when the stock markets reach record highs... I know economic theory, the cost of hiding and preventing the markets to autocorrect themselves is devastating...I am very afraid.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-16/bitcoin-dreams-endure-to-savers-crushed-by-cpi-argentina-credit.html

The emergence of money

Anatolian obsidian as a raw material for stone-age tools was distributed as early as 12,000 B.C., with organized trade occurring in the 9th millennium.(Cauvin;Chataigner 1998)[15] In Sardinia, one of the four main sites for sourcing the material deposits of obsidian within the Mediterranean, trade in this was replaced in the 3rd millennium by trade in copper and silver.[16][17][18][19]

As early as 9000 BC both grain and cattle were used as money or as barter (Davies)(the first grain remains found, considered to be evidence of pre-agricultural practice date to 17,000 BC[20]).[21][22] The importance of grain with respect to the value of money is inherent in language where the term for a small quantity of gold was "grain of gold" <http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3FomAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA62&dq=weight+of+one+wheat+grain&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jzXfT47IF8Wp0QW_37mKCw&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=weight%20of%20one%20wheat%20grain&f=false The Bankers magazine, Volume 25] Herring, Farrell and Sherman 1871 – Retrieved 2102-06-18</ref>[23]

In the earliest instances of trade with money, the things with the greatest utility and reliability in terms of re-use and re-trading of these things (their marketability), determined the nature of the object or thing chosen to exchange. So as in agricultural societies, things needed for efficient and comfortable employment of energies for the production of cereals and the like were the most easy to transfer to monetary significance for direct exchange. As more of the basic conditions of the human existence were met to the satisfaction of human needs,[24] so the division of labour increased to create new activities for the use of time to solve more advanced concerns. As peoples needs became more refined, so indirect exchange became more likely as the physical separation of skilled labourers (suppliers) from their prospective clients (demand) required the use of a medium common to all communities, to facilitate a wider market.[2][25]

Aristotle's opinion of the creation of money[6] as a new thing in society is :

When the inhabitants of one country became more dependent on those of another, and they imported what they needed, and exported what they had too much of, money necessarily came into use.[26]
The worship of Moneta is recorded by Livy with the temple built in the time of Rome 413 (123); a temple consecrated to the same god was built in the earlier part of the fourth century (perhaps the same temple).[27][28][29] The temple contained the mint of Rome for a period of four centuries.[30][31]

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 09:06:57 AM

lol... This sentence is gold, too:

It’s true that the Federal Reserve and other central banks have greatly expanded their balance sheets — but they’ve done that explicitly as a temporary measure in response to economic crisis.

Bet they said that in Wiemar Germany, too.

Yeah, like 6 years temporary ... no end in sight and no way to cut back on the "balance sheet expansion" ... i.e. massive money printing, without complete market collapse ensuing immediately.

John Self

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 12:52:53 PM

I don't think there's any need to suggest Krugman is stupid based on this.

He is a thoughtful man and a recipient of a Nobel prize for economics, you might disagree with him and think his theories are dead wrong- but being wrong is different to being an unsophisticated thinker. Let's be mature about this.

14GXJ3Q16PJNNF6v4iyxhvuhacuhvckMym
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: