Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:09:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accidentally re-used an address for receiving, should BTC still arrive?  (Read 564 times)
blitheringeejit (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 02:35:42 PM

Hi - newbie question....
I'm trying to transfer BTC from a web-based wallet (localbitcoins) to my Electrum 2.7.18 watching-only wallet.  But when entering the Send To address, I entered an address which my Electrum wallet had used to receive an earlier payment, instead of generating a new request and address.
The transaction was initiated about 4 horus ago, and currently shows on the blockchain website as having 24 confirmations - but it hasn't shown up anywhere in my Electrum client as an unconfirmed transaction.  The Electrum client is online.
Can I somehow force my Electrum client to check for incoming payments to an old address, or should it do this automatically? 
I know that it's best not to re-use bitcoin addresses, but I thought that all the addresses generated by my Electrum client/wallet would always work with that wallet.
Grateful for any advice, thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2017, 02:40:14 PM

Hi - newbie question....
I'm trying to transfer BTC from a web-based wallet (localbitcoins) to my Electrum 2.7.18 watching-only wallet.  But when entering the Send To address, I entered an address which my Electrum wallet had used to receive an earlier payment, instead of generating a new request and address.
The transaction was initiated about 4 horus ago, and currently shows on the blockchain website as having 24 confirmations - but it hasn't shown up anywhere in my Electrum client as an unconfirmed transaction.  The Electrum client is online.
Can I somehow force my Electrum client to check for incoming payments to an old address, or should it do this automatically?  
I know that it's best not to re-use bitcoin addresses, but I thought that all the addresses generated by my Electrum client/wallet would always work with that wallet.

There should be no problem... Electrum manages all addresses that are derived from your xprv/xpub (or the addresses that are from a imported private key(s)), the used ones, the change addresses and the unused ones. Re-using an address will only be bad for your anonimity... but that's the only problem that might arise.

If electrum doesn't pick up the transaction, it might be a good idear to restart electrum and/or make sure you have a recent version. [just re-read you OP, and it seems your version should be ok]

BTW, watch-only walletHuh You do have either the xprv or the private key, right?

If this doesn't work, it would be nice to show us the transaction id.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 02:43:17 PM

Hi - newbie question....
I'm trying to transfer BTC from a web-based wallet (localbitcoins) to my Electrum 2.7.18 watching-only wallet.  But when entering the Send To address, I entered an address which my Electrum wallet had used to receive an earlier payment, instead of generating a new request and address.
The transaction was initiated about 4 horus ago, and currently shows on the blockchain website as having 24 confirmations - but it hasn't shown up anywhere in my Electrum client as an unconfirmed transaction.  The Electrum client is online.

There is no issues receiving payments to an address that has already received a payment. The only downside about doing this is the lack of privacy due to reusing the same address. Nothing should prevent the payment though.

You said that this transaction has 24 confirmations on an online block explorer but you still aren't seeing it in your wallet. This sounds like the address might not be correctly added to your Electrum wallet. Are you sure the old address that you used is attached to the same Electrum wallet/seed? I recommend reviewing the Addresses tab ( Ctrl-A ) and double checking that the address you sent to is listed in that wallet.
blitheringeejit (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 02:44:43 PM

Brilliant, thankyou - restarting the app did the job. Top advice.  Grin
deepcolderwallet

Activity: 294
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 04, 2017, 12:23:22 PM

Irecommend reviewing the Addresses tab ( Ctrl-A ) and double checking that the address you sent to is listed in that wallet.
Is it possible to to review the Addresses in an Electrum's Android version?

If you'd like to help me saving for my babie's future, bitcoin:1QCD4EYjeuEGjVCxkD7PAD2feEVEMYvpGU
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 08:32:28 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2017, 11:24:52 AM by Cereberus

Irecommend reviewing the Addresses tab ( Ctrl-A ) and double checking that the address you sent to is listed in that wallet.
Is it possible to to review the Addresses in an Electrum's Android version?

Directly no as far from what I see. But I saw your question and was messing around and installed it on my Android phone,I was able to go to see a few addresses only and not all of them. I did so

I clicked on Receive tab and after that I clicked NEW, so the request to receive funds is on the History tab. I did so with about 5-6 addresses and then it stucked, it always showed the last address.

So this is something ThomasV should add to the new release of Electrum for Android a tab called Addresses.

Edit: After checking it is quite easy. At the receive tab, click always NEW and it will always display a NEW address. Memorize them all or write them down.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █