Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:40:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Unlmited  (Read 820 times)
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 09:22:44 PM

Is it just allowing the miners to choose block size or are there some other sneaky things going on in it as well?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 11:08:52 PM

its not about letting miners choose the size..

its about the NODES choosing what they can cope with.. and they then if there is a node network consensus that Xmb can be accepted.

the pools can then show their desire, and then at a certain time everything is minimal risk/ averted most issues, they make blocks to a size thats within that limit. usually starting small amounts above old limits to test the water.

the mining pools cannot exceed the limit that the nodes cannot cope with otherwise they are just gonna see their blocks rejected.

much like right now pools are not going to intentionally go outside of limits until they see high majority node acceptance. even for segwit
60% of pools have not flagged desire of segwit or not segwit.. because they have not yet seen what nodes can or cant handle.
even though segwit is a soft fork and doesnt need a node count(hard) the pools are still watching the node count before deciding

because smart people know, nodes matter most

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 11:14:15 PM

I have been reading up on BU today, my question would be, "what is to stop BU forking into a couple of different chains with entrenched groups of miners and nodes on each chain?  all arguing over block size and direction of bitcoin"?  much like we have now.  i have a lot of faith in the mathematics of the system but very little faith in Human beings and there ability to agree.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 11:22:53 PM

my question would be, "what is to stop BU forking into a couple of different chains with entrenched groups of miners and nodes on each chain?  all arguing over block size and direction of bitcoin"?

Good question. I expect the answer will be "incentive". Which assumes that the only incentive that exists is a positive one, whereas in the real world, those that may want all cryptocurrencies to fail can simply vote for the craziest forks 24/7.

Vires in numeris
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 11:33:30 PM

my question would be, "what is to stop BU forking into a couple of different chains with entrenched groups of miners and nodes on each chain?  all arguing over block size and direction of bitcoin"?

Good question. I expect the answer will be "incentive". Which assumes that the only incentive that exists is a positive one, whereas in the real world, those that may want all cryptocurrencies to fail can simply vote for the craziest forks 24/7.

Good Answer.  I do like the idea in theory, and would love to see it played out on an altcoin or testnet, but to gamble with Bitcoin like this without knowing what will happen just sounds crazy.  Shocked 

maybe im wrong, convince me if i am  Undecided
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 11:37:47 PM

Bitcoin Unlimited as been debunked numerous times, the developers are just not cut for the job that is making a digital safen that guarantees things will be where they should be decades from now. Only conservative adults can get the job done so Core will remain as main devs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5rfuc0/xpost_from_the_other_sub_what_are_the_main/

Here you can read more.

Of course franky1 will disregard everything as "/r/bitcoin" cultism while not seeing how the actual cultists are the /r/btc morons.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 11:45:50 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2017, 11:58:39 PM by franky1

I have been reading up on BU today, my question would be, "what is to stop BU forking into a couple of different chains with entrenched groups of miners and nodes on each chain?  all arguing over block size and direction of bitcoin"?  much like we have now.  i have a lot of faith in the mathematics of the system but very little faith in Human beings and there ability to agree.

firstly learn consensus agreement vs bilateral split.

too many times people only speak of the best case scenario of soft and the worse case of hard.(they know why they do it!!)
but effectively the only difference between soft and hard is who gets to vote to activate..

soft.. pool votes nodes dont.
hard.. nodes vote then pools.

but in both soft and hard. both can have consensus, both can be controversial and both can have bilateral

softfork: consensus - >94% pools no banning/ignoring of minority. result: small 5% orphan drama then one chain. minority unsynced and dead
softfork: controversial - >50% pools no banning/ignoring of minority. result: long big% orphan drama then one chain. minority unsynced and dead
softfork: bilateral - intentionally ignoring/banning opposing rules and not including them. result: 2 chains

hardfork: consensus - >94% nodes, then >94% pools no banning/ignoring of minority. result: 5% orphan drama then one chain. minority unsynced / dead
hardfork: controversial - >50% nodes, then >50% pools no banning/ignoring of minority. result: big% orphan drama then one chain. minority unsynced / dead
hardfork: bilateral - intentionally ignoring/banning opposing rules and not including them. result: 2 chains

to make an actual altcoin you need to do more then just make bigger blocks or send an erroneous transaction.. as that just causes rejects/orphans.

you need to actually make the nodes ignore the opposing data and nodes so that they are not sticking to the same data. and instead walk in opposite directions

high agreement = less orphans low agreement = more orphans.
but if you have another clause to avoid rejecting or even seeing the opposition. then you are risking creating an altcoin

probably the only thing carlton has said this year that has merit.
the pools wont do anything if the risk of orphan is too high.. = incentive to play it safe and wait until there is little to no. or atleast acceptable risk

even with soft. even knowing nodes are not voting, pools are not going to risk doing anything to cause high orphan rate.
so this is why even with a soft fork. pools are waiting to see(unofficially) if node counts rise up to show they can validate FULLY the data devs want pools to make.

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
paul gatt

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 12:46:27 AM

Is it just allowing the miners to choose block size or are there some other sneaky things going on in it as well?

I had never experienced or savvy miners
but I know, somehow, Bitcoin is still limited in number, it is the only way to guarantee its value, if your Bitcoin mining without management, the number of coins will spill out, Bitcoin value will be lost
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 12:59:52 AM

Bitcoin Unlimited as been debunked numerous times, the developers are just not cut for the job that is making a digital safen that guarantees things will be where they should be decades from now. Only conservative adults can get the job done so Core will remain as main devs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5rfuc0/xpost_from_the_other_sub_what_are_the_main/

Here you can read more.

Of course franky1 will disregard everything as "/r/bitcoin" cultism while not seeing how the actual cultists are the /r/btc morons.

lets address some of the r/bitcoin comments

BU is a political coup similarly to XT and Classic. The developers of these Bitcoin-incompatible softwares
BU XT classic, and other dozen implementations are running with full features active.
xt's 8mb block and classics 2mb block are this(laymens):anything BELOW X is acceptable.
1mb is below X so its acceptable
again they have been running on the mainnet for months/years.
... let me predict the rebuttle. 'but blocks are not 2/8mb so their feature is not working.
to which i say
'so cores 1mb feature was not active in 2009-2015 when blocks were not 1mb. wait cores 1mb feature is not active now because we even today
have some empty blocks and blocks that are only 990k.. not 1mb.. think about the subtle illogic of that.

This process by its own is unacceptable. If a proposal that changes the fundamental rules of Bitcoin has any merit, than it should be peer-reviewed by Bitcoin Core contributors and implemented in Bitcoin Core, the reference implementation.
guess this guy never heard of decentralised and diverse network.
if core are needed to appraise a implementation then core control bitcoin. total opposite of what bitcoin is about. sorry. not gonna fly.
bitcoin should not have any 'kings' on any side. it should be the NODES that form consensus. not devs.
make me wonder what doomsdays will cry out when devs are not needed. remember folks bitcoin should function without reliance of a master.
let the network consensus be the decision maker. not the devs. (next statement explains itself later) devs 'are just the employees of bitcoin'. not the masters.

On a more technical level, BU consists in giving the miners the possibility to create blocks as big as they wish while not bearing any of these costs (full-nodes use disk, bandwidth and cpu to validate and store the blockchain).
nodes set the limits. pools follow whats acceptable. if nodes cant handle it then nodes dont go for it. meaning pools dont go for it. no harm no foul
however. core devs, avoided letting nodes decide a core feature and handed power to devs. yep. core done what this guy is wrongly suggesting BU are doing. letting the pools decide, even when half the nodes wont fully validate, but be downgraded to 'compatible'
core done this knowing if things screw up, core devs can shift the blame onto the pools. if things work out, devs can take the glory...

In summary, increasing the blocksize centralizes Bitcoin and makes it more vulnerable to state sponsored attacks and capture.
again if nodes cant handle it, nodes dont vote for it, meaning pools dont make it. no harm no loss no centralization.
however with core wanting to activate a feature with only 50% fulll validation node acceptance, then offer them same nodes the ability to prune off data. then offer the community an alternative client that uses a lightning network. thus diluting the full node count even further. i see core causing more issues to the node count.

This is unnecessary and unacceptable for a large part of the community, especially considering the fact that Bitcoin Core has much superior scaling solutions (SegWit + Lightning Network) to increase transaction throughput.

LN's abilities away from the glossy pamphlet sales pitch has less utility than you may think. it is not a solution to common people, its penalties and locks end up giving usrs the same experience as paypal.
some people are happy to let LN have a go as a voluntary side service. as long as onchain real diverse dcentralised dynamic scaling is allowed where NODES set the rules. not devs, not pools.

I suddenly understand why /u/Theymos and other Bitcoin experts call miners the employees of Bitcoin: Bitcoin is a system to transact money, not one to create money. Miners are the only party in the system who work hard to secure the system and thus get paid. They are the only party in the system getting paid. They are actually hired to help the system. They are not the main entity of the system. Their earning money is not the purpose of the system but the means. "Employees" is quite a perfect analog for such "hired paid helpers".
i have to agree with this quote.

With that understanding, it's clearer what BU is trying to achieve: They represents miners. They are trying to hijack Bitcoin so that it becomes a tool of creating money for miners. This is a complete betrayal of Bitcoin' purpose.
BU do not want bilateral forks. neither did classic or xt or the other dozen implementations. they want consensus. it is core devs that have desired bilateral forks and said how great ethereum was for doing it.
What you are describing is what I and others call a bilateral hardfork-- where both sides reject the other.

I tried to convince the authors of BIP101 to make their proposal bilateral by requiring the sign bit be set in the version in their blocks (existing nodes require it to be unset). Sadly, the proposals authors were aggressively against this.

The ethereum hardfork was bilateral, probably the only thing they did right--

as you can see the other implementations rejected causing an altcoin. and now the r/bitcoin are desperate to make other implementations move to an alt. while at the same time crying that the other implementations will create an alt.
to me thats like poking the bear to make it bite just to play the victim. every desperate method to make core the king controller

If there is some reason when the users of Bitcoin would rather have it activate at 90%  ... then even with the 95% rule the network could choose to activate it at 90% just by orphaning the blocks of the non-supporters until 95%+ of the remaining blocks signaled activation.

as we can see he will intentionally split the network by ignoring blocks of the opposition to force a soft fork in.
if he is willing to risk making an alt. why not avoid a hard bilateral, avoid a soft bilateral. and instead do a hard consensus. get the node count up. because obviously its the nodes that matter most.. to then give the pools the confidence boost that nothing bad will happen.

firstly BU never had 13.2btc to lose. in there are 20+ pools working non stop. getting a reject is the same as not solving a block. it didnt cost 13.2btc, bu simply didnt win 13.2btc, just like the other 19+ pools didnt win either.
secondly, it was a reject, dealtwith and thrown aside in 3 seconds
2017-01-29 06:59:12 Requesting block 000000000000000000cf208f521de0424677f7a87f2f278a1042f38d159565f5
2017-01-29 06:59:15 ERROR: AcceptBlock: bad-blk-length, size limits failed (code 16)
drama over in 3 seconds.
yet cored based pools cause rejects and orphans every day.
i even remember Sipa's bad code causing a 12 hour tail of orphans in 2013 (LevelDB bug). yep Sipa caused that boo boo

and now because those in r/bitcoin love their memes ill leave this for them

ImHash

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 01:29:16 AM

I had never experienced or savvy miners
but I know, somehow, Bitcoin is still limited in number, it is the only way to guarantee its value, if your Bitcoin mining without management, the number of coins will spill out, Bitcoin value will be lost
That is not the case here, bitcoin unlimited doesn't refer to 21M total supply but is a different version of core wallet with a few changes in the software, as you should know, there are people trying to take control and be the center of decision making.
In case if you are confused about these different versions and their purpose, since bitcoin is like a wh**e there are a few pimps (core the first one/BU/XBC/Classic)trying to score her(bitcoin) and profit themselves.
This is what happens when you open her(source) legs to the public. Cheesy 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: