Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:35:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-2-2] Employee mined bitcoins on Federal Reserve servers for two years  (Read 509 times)
newsatbravenewcoin (OP)

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 06:16:43 AM

The Federal Reserve Bank is the Central Bank of the United States and issuer of the US Dollar. However, wielding the power to print just one currency may not have been enough for one former employee.

http://bravenewcoin.com/news/employee-mined-bitcoins-on-federal-reserve-servers-for-two-years/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 11:42:30 PM

"The former Fed employee was recently sentenced to one year of probation and fined $5,000."

So, he mined bitcoin on FED servers for over 2 years and got $5000 fine? I don't know how much mining power that server had, but I'd expect that he mined much more than $5000, so the operation was definitely worth it! Even more so if he held the coins for over 2 years. The banking system is breaking from the inside haha  Cheesy

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 03, 2017, 12:06:57 AM

"The former Fed employee was recently sentenced to one year of probation and fined $5,000."

So, he mined bitcoin on FED servers for over 2 years and got $5000 fine? I don't know how much mining power that server had, but I'd expect that he mined much more than $5000, so the operation was definitely worth it! Even more so if he held the coins for over 2 years. The banking system is breaking from the inside haha  Cheesy

I assume it was just a regular server system, so I don't think he gained much from it, but since it's free for him personally, every small amount adds up to something decent a few years later. It's nothing new as students also have miners running on their university servers even though it's against the rules. It's basically free money for them as they don't have to invest or maintain hardware at their own cost. It lasts until they get caught.
Papa Bear

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2017, 02:08:32 AM

I assume it was just a regular server system, so I don't think he gained much from it, but since it's free for him personally, every small amount adds up to something decent a few years later. It's nothing new as students also have miners running on their university servers even though it's against the rules. It's basically free money for them as they don't have to invest or maintain hardware at their own cost. It lasts until they get caught.

could she have predicted that in the future there will be the economic crisis which resulted in him dare commit an illegal act !
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 03, 2017, 04:25:31 PM

could she have predicted that in the future there will be the economic crisis which resulted in him dare commit an illegal act !

What has an economic crisis to do with what I have said? Nothing. People know that it's not allowed to use servers/systems for their own purposes, and especially not when it comes to the US central bank. It's asking for problems since security could have been at stake due to this employee. It's basically the same for students making use of their university systems, but a bit less severe if you ask me. Either way, it's stupidity.
just_Alice

Activity: 1274
Merit: 622

View Profile
February 03, 2017, 04:43:41 PM

Interesting article. I like the quote from another article on the same case, “While it makes you wonder what Berthaume knows about monetary policy that we don’t,”  meaning that the emplyee of the Federal Reserve probably trusts Bitcoin more than USD.

I think in two years he has mined at least 10 BTC so he'll be fine with that $5,000 fine. Smiley
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
February 03, 2017, 06:27:57 PM

This is arguably the only time the FED actually was helping people, instead of stealing from them via inflationary erosion of buying power.

These bastards need to be audited, and I hope it happens in my lifetime.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
pixie85

Activity: 2142
Merit: 524

View Profile
February 04, 2017, 04:15:25 AM

This person is my hero! Joking he isn't because he got caught. The idea was good though easy money and if he didn't overload the servers nobody got hurt.
I hope he doesn't get his coins confiscated Angry
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: