Bitcoin Forum
May 31, 2024, 12:20:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Bitcoin sites useless?  (Read 1167 times)
Birdy (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:36:48 AM

Hi there, even if you snatch a lot of small transaction and gather a good sum, will you ever be able to spend them?
The mandatory transaction fee seems to be bound to the kb of the transaction, which is bound to the amount of transaction it's made of.
So the fee will always be higher than the coins you made.
Is this right?
Falcooon

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:48:26 AM

What sites are you referring to  Huh
tkooda

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:49:51 AM

Hi there, even if you snatch a lot of small transaction and gather a good sum, will you ever be able to spend them?
The mandatory transaction fee seems to be bound to the kb of the transaction, which is bound to the amount of transaction it's made of.
So the fee will always be higher than the coins you made.
Is this right?

No.  The transaction fee is not mandatory in all clients.  The size (kb) of the transaction is not tied to the amount of the transaction.
Birdy (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:56:33 AM

The thing is, I have the normal qt-client and got like 1 mBitcoin out of ~20 transaction and don't see any option to use them.
I know that mBitcoin isn't worth the hassle, but I would like to know how I could use it.
Do I really have to change the client?

I am refering to faucet like sites that give out microtransactions for free. (funded by ads or other users, well mostly ads)
Birdy (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 01:16:38 AM

*shameless bump* Smiley
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 01:25:39 AM

You need to be more specific about what you're asking. What sites are you talking about? Can't know what fees you're referring to, unless you actually specify which fees you're referring to.

If it's an ad-driven site, odds are pretty good that they'll find ways to avoid paying you, but unless you actually ask real questions, nobody can answer them.

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
Merchant

Activity: 36

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 01:33:20 AM

Transaction fees are optional but decrease the time it takes for the transaction to get confirmations.
SRG

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 01:43:25 AM

Free bitcoin sites are NOT useless, but you do have to be careful.  Most mainline sites now such as DailyBitCoins give you the option to delay a payout until you accumulate a larger amount.  The QT client can require you to pay a fee if you are basically combining a huge number of small transactions into one larger one.

There are others that know more about fees.  The workaround I've adopted is to send the small amounts of BTC directly to where I want them.  E.g. if I want to play at Bitzino or peerbet, send the amounts directly to that wallet.

Good Luck!
Birdy (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 01:57:33 AM

You need to be more specific about what you're asking. What sites are you talking about? Can't know what fees you're referring to, unless you actually specify which fees you're referring to.

If it's an ad-driven site, odds are pretty good that they'll find ways to avoid paying you, but unless you actually ask real questions, nobody can answer them.

The site was paying, I'm talking about the fee to send the earned Bitcoins.
I did specify that in the post before, the sites were those µBitcoins came from (like Bitcoin Tree) aren't important to my question.

The QT client can require you to pay a fee if you are basically combining a huge number of small transactions into one larger one.

That's exactly what I mean. I have now 1mBitcoin in my wallet from the qt-client, but I am not able to send them anywhere.
In the qt-client the fees aren't optional, so I wanted to know if there is any way around that Smiley

@SRG: I guess that workaround could do the trick, but not for the coins I've already earned.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 02:01:32 AM

Let them age a while and then combine as inputs in transactions with larger amounts. 
Birdy (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 02:05:47 AM

Let them age a while and then combine as inputs in transactions with larger amounts. 

I've wondered if this would work. I cannot choose which coins are bundled, so if I make a new transaction of ~1BC and all those small transaction, would the fee be large, because of the high amount of kb (and thus giving me negative money from those transaction->I would be sending less than the 1 BC) ?
enigma1265

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 02:57:07 AM

so far all the free sites ive seen are beyond a waste of time Sad
Birdy (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 03:01:24 AM

Sure, they are in terms of money worth. I just wanted to try several things. But I couldn't, I'm not able to move those µcoins from my wallet.
techman05

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 03:05:10 AM

Dailybitcoin website doesn;t seem to work even with the delay. I'm over the .0001 level and I didn;t get a they're coming when I hit the execute transactions.

BTW would doing them immediate give a negative value since it looked like the fee was more then the offered pieces.

Like the info address for potential tips Wink
BTC 1CL5BnNhdL2wDVmSDwMbW1cNhZew87CAPV
* http://www.miningrigrentals.com/register?ref=563
KatiHahnA

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 03:05:38 AM

ok
KatiHahnA

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 03:06:40 AM

ops wrong topic
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 03:12:03 AM

Sure, they are in terms of money worth. I just wanted to try several things. But I couldn't, I'm not able to move those µcoins from my wallet.

I have had no problems, following the advice I have already given.  I won't say more than that since I can't explain all the technical details as well as others here.

Also the amount I have collected from free sites in the past couple years is 'not' insignificant.... even though that isn't the point imo...

What good is it if one only gets very very small amounts?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74046.msg1088930#msg1088930

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:12:02 AM

If the total of all those free bitcoins ever reaches 0.01 then I'd say that is significant enough. But you can't spend it economically. What I did was to buy enough bitcoin (at least 1 BTC is suggested) and combine that using coin control so you can eventually consolidate it.

Then I cheated, by betting it all on satoshi dice 91% and getting a 107% return. So I consolidated everything, and made some more. But understand, that it's a gamble, so you could end up losing all of it. (I bet 0.01 and I get back 0.0107.) That takes care of my future fees for the next 100 transactions or so.

Birdy (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:22:34 AM

I can agree on Portnoy's view that it's exciting to receive your first transactions, even if they are worth (nearly) nothing.
But it's also frustrating when you find out that you aren't able to use them in the normal client, possibly will scare away some new users.
bitcoinget

Activity: 608
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 05:05:03 AM

There are also sites that aren't "free", but let you earn bitcoins through completing tasks. The amount you can earn still isn't going to replace your day job anytime soon, but will be a lot more than sites that are "free".

BitcoinGet (see signature) is one such site. Once you become proficient enough with the tasks, you can expect to earn $2-3 equivalent in bitcoins per hour.

Earn Bitcoin by Completing Tasks: http://www.bitcoinget.com
Earn Bitcoin Cashback at 300+ Stores: http://www.coinrebates.com
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: