Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:51:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello Everyone!  (Read 872 times)
Scatter Bastard (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 09:27:55 AM

Hey guys!

My name is Scatter! Yesterday was the first time in a year I've been able to smoke and go figure not 30 seconds after taking my first glorious toke, I stumble across something relating to BTC. Needless to say I was hooked and in the current state of mind I was in got lost in everything BTC. I decided to make an account here, so hopefully you'll be seeing me around!

After reading around I think Ive taken most of it in (Not sure yet how much has been retained), but still had a few questions I wanted to bring up.

1. I am Trust-Who verified (www.trustwho.com). If I get into the trading of BTC, is information like this something I would want to provide to the potential buyer? I understand the premise of remaining anonymous, but if it helps -- then is there any reason not to provide it?

2. I run a restaurant--I cannot, for the life of me, come up with a way to accept BTC in any way(except possibly as a delivery fee?) for any service/food item provided. With the exchange rate changing so frequently I feel that it would do more harm than good to constantly have changing prices for every item on the menu. Anyways--I'm very interested in developing some new concepts to help bring BTC to life. I feel that I know the restaurant world sufficiently, so if anyone has any kind of idea I'd love to know to bounce 'em back and forth!

3. In this restaurant I have a storage room that has an entire wall empty. This room is in a completely separate unit we just recently acquired, so none of the power drawn would be taken from the restaurant. I might be completely off as to what mining rigs are, but I feel like the wall has enough space to set up a station of sorts with rows of mining rigs. Just a rack (or racks) of rigs the same way that multiple server boxes would be set up. I've read that people are stretching available power output at their homes, and I didn't know if this could at all be  potentially profitable. I was thinking perhaps I charge electricity usage + either a small cash or BTC value for the housing.

That idea is in the very beginning stages though. I have no idea if it would be legal at all, or worth it for both me and the person who would have the rigs, but I would LOVE input.

ANYWAYS, that's all I had for now. I haven't stopped talking about Bitcoin since yesterday, to both customers and employees, and I'm incredibly excited to become more involved as time goes on.

Lastly, a HUGE shout out to BTCPrizes if you happen to see this. I signed up for your raffle, hoping to gain my first BTC through y'all, but it was the generosity that your idea presents that made me take such an initial interest in getting the word out on Bitcoin!!

Edit: One of many (I'm sure) corrected awkward phrases.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Scatter Bastard (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 10:01:52 AM

Had just two more things that I cannot wrap my mind around. Primarily because I don't have much experience with code, but also because I'm just a moron:

4. I don't get transaction fees. From what I understand, eventually it will cost more to mine BTC than you get from bounty, so transaction fees will be charged, with the miner getting the fee. How is that assigned though? If I'm mining, am I just randomly presented with the opportunity to build the block, and if the person is offering my accepted fee then its just transferred to my account? Perhaps I'm completely missing something, but it's confusing!

5. As much as I try, the mining is stumping me. I'm simply trying to set up some CPU mining just to experience it and possibly join a pool to get SOME BTC generation at least. CPU Miner (http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=1925.0) is what I have been trying to use but I can't figure out where to drop the code, since the address it tells me to put it doesn't exist on my PC. Even if I did find the right location to extract it to, I have no idea where to go from there. I'm very sorry if this is the umpteenth time having this explained, I just cannot figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Scatter Bastard (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:43:09 PM

I'd like to try to send this to the top just once--I feel like I got some really good ideas here, posting them at 5:00 A.M. was probably the wrong time
cynikal

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 06:10:49 PM

bump..

good thoughts here and well written, worth a bump, wouldn't you say?
implr

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 06:21:09 PM

2. Check out Bitbills: http://bitbills.com/
4. A transaction is made of inputs and outputs. When transactions are processed, all coins from the inputs are summed and then sent to every output. In most cases, the final balance will equal zero. However, when someone pays a transaction fee, they make it so the sum of inputs is greater than the sum of outputs, so there will be some coins left. The reward for mining a block is 50BTC plus all those 'leftower' coins.
To put it simply: When you decide to pay a transaction fee, you send your money to nowhere and the miner picks it up.
AWOLRanger

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 06:21:53 PM

As far as number 5, you should try GUI-miner.  Very simple to setup and use.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 06:24:55 PM

1. I am Trust-Who verified (www.trustwho.com). If I get into the trading of BTC, is information like this something I would want to provide to the potential buyer? I understand the premise of remaining anonymous, but if it helps -- then is there any reason not to provide it?
The LAST thing someone trading with you wants you to be is anonymous! By providing it, they will have peace of mind that they can track you down if things go south.

2. I run a restaurant--I cannot, for the life of me, come up with a way to accept BTC in any way(except possibly as a delivery fee?) for any service/food item provided. With the exchange rate changing so frequently I feel that it would do more harm than good to constantly have changing prices for every item on the menu.
That's ok! Bitcoin is not really ready yet for many real world uses. Feel free to wait until the mobile clients are further developed.

Anyways--I'm very interested in developing some new concepts to help bring BTC to life. I feel that I know the restaurant world sufficiently, so if anyone has any kind of idea I'd love to know to bounce 'em back and forth!
Great!

3. In this restaurant I have a storage room that has an entire wall empty. This room is in a completely separate unit we just recently acquired, so none of the power drawn would be taken from the restaurant. I might be completely off as to what mining rigs are, but I feel like the wall has enough space to set up a station of sorts with rows of mining rigs. Just a rack (or racks) of rigs the same way that multiple server boxes would be set up. I've read that people are stretching available power output at their homes, and I didn't know if this could at all be  potentially profitable. I was thinking perhaps I charge electricity usage + either a small cash or BTC value for the housing.

That idea is in the very beginning stages though. I have no idea if it would be legal at all, or worth it for both me and the person who would have the rigs, but I would LOVE input.
If I understand you right, you want to rent out that space for people who want to bring in their mining rigs? If so, people are already starting to do this, and it sounds like a good idea. Someone else might be able to post some examples.

Had just two more things that I cannot wrap my mind around. Primarily because I don't have much experience with code, but also because I'm just a moron:

4. I don't get transaction fees. From what I understand, eventually it will cost more to mine BTC than you get from bounty, so transaction fees will be charged, with the miner getting the fee. How is that assigned though? If I'm mining, am I just randomly presented with the opportunity to build the block, and if the person is offering my accepted fee then its just transferred to my account? Perhaps I'm completely missing something, but it's confusing!
I discussed this with someone recently, so perhaps I should just direct you to that...
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16527.msg216344#msg216344

5. As much as I try, the mining is stumping me. I'm simply trying to set up some CPU mining just to experience it and possibly join a pool to get SOME BTC generation at least. CPU Miner (http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=1925.0) is what I have been trying to use but I can't figure out where to drop the code, since the address it tells me to put it doesn't exist on my PC. Even if I did find the right location to extract it to, I have no idea where to go from there. I'm very sorry if this is the umpteenth time having this explained, I just cannot figure it out.
I'm not familiar with the technical specifics of mining, but I can tell you that CPU mining isn't worth it at all.

Scatter Bastard (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 08:51:21 PM

Thanks so much for the input guys!

It sounds like renting out the space is exactly what I'm wanting to do. I'll have to get some specifics on power usage and limits I guess--but that sounds like something that could be set up relatively soon.

Anyone with ideas on how to integrate BTC into restaurants let me know! Its still so new to me so I haven't had that experience where I'm sitting in the restaurant and think "Damn! If only I could throw down some BTC for this" Something along those lines.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: