Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:16:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Experiences Selling on Coinbase.......... Before the price went down?  (Read 3600 times)
cjspiller28 (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 06:33:05 AM

Firstly, I'll mention that I have previously and successfully sold 2 Bitcoins in the past through Coinbase (via linked Bank Account) at $138 each.  I think the very next day they were worth $200+.  At the time, I was feeling like an idiot, but with all things considered now, it could have been much worse, and my only regret is that I didn't sell more of them at that time.

Anyway after your sale is deemed "complete" by Coinbase, they give you an additional ~5 day waiting period for the payment to show in your bank account, and that is where I've heard that in some cases they can deem a transaction "high risk" often at the last moment and put it in reverse.

So last week I sold 6 Bitcoins total between two transactions.  The first transaction was sold at $75 each and the second transaction was sold at $115 each, a day later.

Based on their estimations, the first payment should be in my bank account by Wednesday and the second by Thursday. 

But considering how much Bitcoins have dropped in value since that time, I've started to consider the possibility of Coinbase labeling these transactions "high risk" and why not?  Well, except for the fact that in my case I have a history with two successful transactions using the same Coinbase account, same address, same bank account, and same everything else.  So if this suddenly became "high risk" I think I could correctly jump to an unfortunate conclusion.

Hopefully that will not be the case because - and I know some of you will disagree - but in my experience so far Coinbase has been top notch and one of the last sites, if not THE last site, that I would actually say that I trust right now.  If the outcome of these two transactions give me any reason to think otherwise, I'd be pretty upset for obvious reasons, but beyond that it would be a real shame for Bitcoin as a whole. I mean, if we can't have any faith in the options available for Bitcoin transactions, there is no future with this currency, at least not right now. 

So my question is:

Has anyone reading this ever sold bitcoins to Coinbase at a greater price than it would become 4-5 days later?  If so, did Coinbase still make a deposit in your bank account for the original value of bitcoin at the time the transaction was initiated?

Some reassurance would be nice.  Despite the doubt expressed in this thread, I really believe this transaction will be complete successfully, but before today I had not been aware of this "high risk" policy they have, and I'm just trying to find out a little more from those of you that have sold to them... before the price decreased.

I will also update this thread when the payments show in my bank account.
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
granolageek

Activity: 60

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 07:01:28 AM

No reassurance from me. Coinbase pulled that exact trick on me on the way up. After two successful transactions, the 3 $50 bitcoins I'd paid $35 for turned into "high risk" on the day I should have received them.

If the transaction was "high risk" they should have declined it immediately, not 4 business days later.

That said, BTC transactions are irreversible. There is no risk at all on the sell side. They can offload the risk to an exchange immediately. If your sale is not honored, Coinbase is a prima facie scam. They aren't stupid enough to do that.
andrewbadr

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

Posts made Jan-March 2017 are not by me

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 07:50:30 AM

Has anyone reading this ever sold bitcoins to Coinbase at a greater price than it would become 4-5 days later?  If so, did Coinbase still make a deposit in your bank account for the original value of bitcoin at the time the transaction was initiated?

Yes, and yes. I sold some at $230 and the money came through as expected. I believe Coinbase is honest, and their reputation is more valuable than scamming you out of $500.
BTC Books

Activity: 84

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:53:54 PM

I sold twice at $236-240, the day before the crash.  Got my money fine.

But I've had no success at all trying to buy bitcoin there, for a long, long time (in bitcoin years) now.

Which I find to be very interesting.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
cjspiller28 (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 01:54:12 PM

Thanks for the responses. At this point I will just wait to see if and when the transactions post to my account and update this thread for the record.
cjspiller28 (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:35:37 PM

Just wanted to post an update here that both transactions were posted to my Chase bank account today Smiley

My faith and trust in Coinbase remains in tact!
BTC Books

Activity: 84

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:53:32 PM

Just wanted to post an update here that both transactions were posted to my Chase bank account today Smiley

My faith and trust in Coinbase remains in tact!

O'Rly?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=147697.0;all

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: