Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:28:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No Seed No Google Authenticator  (Read 493 times)
Jedda (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2017, 01:07:09 AM

Hello:

I set up my Electrum wallet long ago on an OS I rarely use and I no longer have the seed.

I do, however, have the wallet password.  I can transfer funds in and see all private keys.  I can also open the wallet file.

But, apparently I created the wallet with 2FA.  If I try to transfer funds out, it asks for a Google Authenticator code.  I have never set up or used Google Authenticator.  As a consequence, the transaction sits with 1/2 signatures and never completes.  I've edited the wallet file to set 2FA to 'false' but no luck.

Any help on either recreating the seed with the password, or finding another way to transfer funds out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 05, 2017, 01:46:28 AM

Hello:

I set up my Electrum wallet long ago on an OS I rarely use and I no longer have the seed.

I do, however, have the wallet password.  I can transfer funds in and see all private keys.  I can also open the wallet file.

But, apparently I created the wallet with 2FA.  If I try to transfer funds out, it asks for a Google Authenticator code.  I have never set up or used Google Authenticator.  As a consequence, the transaction sits with 1/2 signatures and never completes.  I've edited the wallet file to set 2FA to 'false' but no luck.

Any help on either recreating the seed with the password, or finding another way to transfer funds out.

2FA wallets utilize a 2 of 3 multi-signature wallet and without at least 2 signatures, you will be unable to send funds. When you create a wallet with 2FA, the seeds you get give you 2 out of the 3 private keys so you can restore the wallet without the need for the 2FA. Unfortunately, without the seed or the 2FA, I don't think you'll be able to gain access to these funds.
Jedda (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2017, 02:08:18 AM

Hello:

2FA wallets utilize a 2 of 3 multi-signature wallet and without at least 2 signatures, you will be unable to send funds. When you create a wallet with 2FA, the seeds you get give you 2 out of the 3 private keys so you can restore the wallet without the need for the 2FA. Unfortunately, without the seed or the 2FA, I don't think you'll be able to gain access to these funds.

Thanks.  Lesson learned.  It's funny, I had a piece of paper with a seed and password right next to the computer with the Electrum wallet.  I then transferred some BTC only to learn later that the password and seed were to a different Electrum wallet on a different OS.  I got lucky with the password but, alas, not enough.  Live and learn.  I appreciate the help.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 05, 2017, 05:46:54 PM

Hello:

Thanks.  Lesson learned.  It's funny, I had a piece of paper with a seed and password right next to the computer with the Electrum wallet.  I then transferred some BTC only to learn later that the password and seed were to a different Electrum wallet on a different OS.  I got lucky with the password but, alas, not enough.  Live and learn.  I appreciate the help.

You may want to improve the way you store the seed and password as well. Anybody that walks by your computer is able to access your coins simply with the seed.

Atleast remove it from plain sight and use a dedicated space for this. This way, you also don't lose it like what happened now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: