Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:51:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The bitcoin market price  (Read 923 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 07:36:25 AM

The leading market price is BTC/USD rate at MtGox. It seems like all traders look to this when they set the price on other exchanges and does bitcoin-otc deals. But when larger amounts of BTC is traded at the MtGox market price, let's say 1000 BTC sold for dollars off exchanges does that in any way affect the MtGox BTC/USD rate at all ? What about all the other trades that goes on on other exchanges, those those prices affext the BTC/USD Mtgox rate at all ?

To me, it seems like MtGox is entirely the market leader, and everyone looks at MtGox BTC/USD rate for what the price should be.

Currently the 2nd largest exchange (Btc-e.com) has 11% of the volume of MtGox. I guess however that in the future we will see more exchanges popping up, and liquidity will be a problem for many of them. However, I think if big investors create such an exchange, they could be able to provide artifical liquidity to the market, making it seem like there's a lot of activity, and those giving an incentive for users and traders to get over there. There could be bots for example, trading over and over with themselves to give the impression of a big volume. As bitcoin exchanges are not regulated, they could also give out false data to grow their userbase. Done in a way that makes it look plausible, this could be done to aid their growth, just like Reddit had many fake users in the beginning to give other users an incentive to get over there and start participating, after all, neither Reddit or a bitcoin exchange is worth anything if it's not for the users. And the users go where the liquidity is.

Like the mining pool chart shows that the market consists of several large pools, the exchange market should be something similar. One exchange should not have this much of the total market. It makes bitcoin centralized, when in fact it should be decentralized. But also, we really don't have any idea about how much coins are traded off the exchanges.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 07:49:30 AM

I'm not intelligent enough, nor do I have the time to ponder such an idea, but what is the feasibility of a decentralized p2p exchange?

Elon Krusky
wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 07:51:27 AM

I'm not intelligent enough, nor do I have the time to ponder such an idea, but what is the feasibility of a decentralized p2p exchange?
I dont think its possible in the way centralized exchanges function
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 07:57:13 AM

There's some significant engineering to be done, and it won't fulfill every function of a centralized exchange, but it's feasible. I've been working on the details of one possible design for the last month or so.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 08:03:12 AM

There will be diversification. But don't blame MxGox for the market.

There are some people working at a project called buttercoin that is supposed to become a desentralized market of sorts.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
Aristotle

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 08:06:46 AM

Ripple can be used like a semi-decentralized exchange as well.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: